Part 37

Albus stood in front of him, smiling. The sky was the color of Sickles, the trees eerily silent.

"You did it," he whispered. "You saved the world."

Scorpius shook his head, knowing something was wrong. "I didn't. I didn't."

"Yes, you did." Albus leaned forward and kissed him quickly. "You saved us all—"

Scorpius pulled out his wand and pointed it directly at Albus.

"What's that for?" Albus stared straight into Scorpius, green eyes piercing straight through him. "What are you doing?"

"Avada Kedavra."

And Albus slumped to the ground, dead, just as he did every other night.

Scorpius sat up straight, breathing heavily, well aware that tears were streaming down his face.

"Scorp."

The curtains around his bed flicked open and Albus stuck his head in, looking exhausted and worried.

"Go to sleep," Scorpius said shortly. "Lumos."

"I will not." Albus sat down on Scorpius's bed, pulling the curtains shut behind him. He wrapped his arms around his knees and looked at Scorpius with piercing green eyes. Scorpius was reminded of his dream.

"Yes you will."

"You were screaming, Scorpius."

"That's great, so I woke the whole room up?"

"As a matter of fact, you didn't. A quick Muffliato took care of that." Albus looked troubled. "But I heard."

Scorpius stared at the ceiling.

"Tell me what's going on," Albus whispered, reaching his hand out to take Scorpius's. "What did you dream about?"

"The same thing as every night," Scorpius said brokenly. "You."

Albus looked startled. This was the first time Scorpius had told him what the dreams were about.

"What about me?" Albus pressed gently. "Did I...hurt you? Because you know I would never—"

"No," Scorpius croaked. He cleared his throat. "No. It's always you and me, standing in the forest. You kiss me. And then I kill you."

Albus looked slightly taken aback. "Okay. That's rough. I'm sorry. But you wouldn't kill me. You wouldn't. I know that, Scorpius."

"I'm a killer, Albus Severus."

"You killed the most evil witch in the world. And you know why? You did it for me. Because she was torturing me. And she would have killed me." Albus shook his head. "You saved my life."

"By killing." Scorpius looked revolted. "I'm worse than my father."

"You're kind," Albus whispered. "Your father isn't kind. And you did it for the right reasons."

"Albus, I killed someone. That makes me a killer."

"You killed the Augurey. It makes you the bravest person I've ever met."

Scorpius took a deep breath, trying to believe it.

Hoping he was right.

Knowing he wasn't.

I'm a killer.

"Whatever labels you give yourself," Albus whispered, "you're still Scorpius Malfoy and I still love you."

Scorpius rolled over, burying his face in the pillow. He vaguely sensed Albus lay down next to him, resting his head on Scorpius's shoulder. Scorpius drifted off into an uneasy, dreamless sleep, murmuring "Nox" to extinguish his wand light.

When he woke up, Albus wasn't there.

Of course he isn't.

All the same, Scorpius wished he'd stayed.

It was before dawn, and the sun hadn't yet crept over the horizon, but when he pulled the curtain back a bit, he saw a silhouette sitting on a trunk.

"Albus," he whispered. The figure jumped, turning towards him.

"Go back to sleep," Albus whispered.

"No."

Albus stared out the window, where the sun was beginning to peek above the lake.

"Did you sleep at all?" Scorpius asked, sliding out of bed and padding across the floor to where Albus sat, still in pajamas.

"No," Albus said. "How could I? But I'm glad you did."

"You haven't gotten a proper sleep since..." The words died in Scorpius's throat. He didn't want to say her name. Or speak of her death.

Albus pressed his lips together. "I need time to think."

"You need sleep."

Albus whipped his head around. "How could I sleep, today of all days, when we're burying Max?" he snapped.

Scorpius squeezed his eyes shut, willing himself not to fall apart.

If I'd stopped the Augurey earlier, she wouldn't be dead.

I killed her, I killed her, I killed her.

I killed them both.

"Scorpius?" Albus's voice was laced with worry. "Look, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have—"

I killed her.

"What?" Albus sounded shocked. "Max? You didn't kill her. It's not your fault."

Did I say that out loud?

"Scorpius, are you okay? Well, you're not, that was stupid, but—"

Scorpius turned and climbed back into bed, directing his wand at the curtains. "Colloporto," he whispered.

"Scorpius!"

Scorpius pulled the blankets over his head and lay curled in a ball until the sun had fully risen.