Part 26

Scorpius shifted his weight, looking around the empty common room.

"Out with it, then," Albus said, not taking his eyes off the Hogwarts Inquirer. "What do you have to say for yourself, after everything?"

"I wanted to apologize."

Albus raised an eyebrow, finally looking up from the newspaper. "Oh yeah?"

"I'm being unfair, to you and Emma," Scorpius said uncomfortably. "If you want to be with her, it's none of my business and I wish you happiness."

Albus set down the paper. "What brought this on?"

"I took some time to think."

"For the first time since last spring?"

"You don't have to make this harder for me, you know," Scorpius said.

"I know, I'm just enjoying giving you a hard time." Albus, who was sprawled on the sofa, leaned back. "And I should forgive you because..."

"I was a pigheaded idiot?"

"As usual."

"Albus..."

Albus threw a pillow at Scorpius. "Go on."

"The reason I didn't tell you is because...I care about you, and I wanted to...enjoy the time we have left," Scorpius said.

Albus cocked his head, dark hair falling in his eyes. "Okay. Fine. Whatever. But the whole spying thing? Not cool. And Scorpius, we're over, you know that, right?"

"If I can be your friend, Albus Severus, that's worth everything for me."

Albus nodded.

"I'm not going to trust you completely, Scorpius Malfoy."

Relief flooded Scorpius's face, and he dropped onto the sofa beside Albus. "I don't even care, it's just so good to have you back."

A hint of a smile entered Albus's face. "I didn't much like my life without you in it either."

The door slid aside and Emma entered the common room, sitting on the sofa opposite Scorpius and Albus. "Merry Christmas, Albus!"

Albus stood up, smiling, and went to embrace her. "Merry Christmas, Emma."

She shoved a parcel at him. "Have a gift, then."

"Back at you." Albus passed her a small, badly wrapped gift, then opened his. Inside were a few select candies from Honeydukes—Fizzing Whizzbees, a bar of chocolate, and several Sugar Quills. "Thanks, Emma!"

Emma looked up from her own gift. "Oh, Albus, this is beautiful!" She held up a silver bracelet with a broomstick charm on it. "How did you know I was planning to try out?"

"Try out?"

"Yeah, for Quidditch. They had a replacement for Craig Bowker..." Emma looked away as Albus's expression darkened. "And, um, he just quit, so  there's a spot open for Chaser."

"Really? That's so awesome," Albus said. "Do you have a broom?"

Emma smiled. "My mom sent me one for Christmas."

The door slid open again, and Ian Thomas leaned in. "Emma, can we talk for a moment?"

"Sure." Rolling her eyes, Emma got up. "See you."

As the door closed behind them, Scorpius turned to Albus.

"I, uh..." He leaned down and reached under the sofa, pulling out a gift. "Merry Christmas, Albus."

Albus looked at him strangely. "You got me a gift?"

"I couldn't bear the thought that we'd never be friends again," Scorpius said. "So I thought maybe if not this Christmas, your birthday, or maybe next Christmas..."

Smiling slightly, Albus opened it. 

Inside was a box of Peppermint Imps and a note.

I know Time-Turning became a thing of the past, but I hope we aren't.

Albus looked up. "Scorp..."

Scorpius looked embarrassed. "I know, I'm sorry, it's stupid—"

"God, no, it's not stupid. I'm stupid, for starting this stupid fight. I know you were just putting off the inevitable, and I'm sorry I freaked out at you. And I'm sorry for how Rose reacted, too."

"It's okay," Scorpius said quietly. "I deserved it more than you think."

Albus pointed his wand at the stairs to the boys dormitories. "Accio Gift!"

A moment later, a parcel wrapped in green zoomed down the stairs and towards the sofa, crashing into Albus's neck.

"You okay?" Scorpius asked. 

"Fine." Albus rubbed his neck. "Anyway, Merry Christmas."

"So you got me a gift too," Scorpius laughed.

"I wrapped it before we broke up."

Scorpius opened it, pulling out a mirror.

"It's a two-way mirror," Albus said. "I have the other one. My dad told me about these. We can use them to talk to each other."

"That's brilliant," Scorpius said.

The two boys hugged.

Then suddenly, there was the familiar scrape as the lake window opened and Max emerged, dripping.

"Scorpius, that is not what she said!" she shouted.

Scorpius went pale and lurched backwards. 

"She?" Albus looked from Scorpius to Max. "Who's she? Emma? What's going on?"

"I don't know," Scorpius said through clenched teeth. "Clue us in, Maximum."

Max glared. "Shut up."

Albus narrowed his eyes. "Can someone please tell me what's happening?"

"It's kind of none of your business," Max said. "Scorpius Malfoy, come with me, we are going to have a talk."

Shooting an apologetic look at Albus, Scorpius tucked the mirror into his pocket. "I'll be back in a moment."

Once they were outside the common room, Albus Vanished the wrapping paper quickly and lay back on the sofa, rereading Scorpius's note over and over.

I know Time-Turning became a thing of the past, but I hope we aren't.

"We aren't, Scorpius," Albus whispered. "We aren't."