Part 35

Max flew as fast as she dared over the trees and silently landed by the lake's edge.

"Hominum Revelio," she whispered. The school lit up like a wildfire, but the forest was silent.

Max took a deep breath, stowing her wand in her pocket, and dove into the lake.

She traveled down into the water, tucking her wings in, uttered a few charms, and slid through the glass into the Slytherin common room.

It was empty.

Feeling cursed and blessed at the same time, Max hurried towards a bit of parchment and a quill someone had left lying on a table. Seizing the quill, she bent over the paper and jotted down:

Albus—
He's alive, but not for long, and he won't wake up.
I'm with her. Don't look for me. HIDE.
She's coming for you, and when she finds out I didn't kill you, she'll kill me.
Don't come after me. I'll do my best to save him.
—M

Dropping the paper surreptitiously on a chair, Max chanced another look behind her. Nothing but quiet.

Charming the window open again, Max slipped into the lake, sealed the window behind her, and used her wings to propel her to the surface. Time to head back. The sun was peeking over the horizon, and the Augurey would be growing suspicious.

As Max soared above the trees, a stinging pain made her stop short, looking for the source of it.

Then, all of a sudden, two thousand feet up, her wings disappeared.

Two thousand feet below, the Augurey sheathed her wand in satisfaction, then walked away.

No one heard Max's screams as she plummeted to the trees below.