Part 19

"Scorpius?"

Scorpius, who was trying to finish a wickedly difficult Transfiguration essay, turned. As usual, Max was swinging through the window from the dark lake in the middle of the night.

"How do you not get eaten by the giant squid?"

"I just throw him a couple of soggy crackers before I dive in, he loves those. Have you seen Albus?"

"He's away for a few days visiting a family friend."

Max raised an eyebrow. "And have you told him yet?"

"That's none of your business, Max."

"Actually, Albus is my friend, and I'm really not cool with seeing him upset. So you're going to break up with him in a very nice way, or else."

"I don't want to break up with him!" Scorpius said furiously.

"But you're going to."

"Because I have to."

"And therein lies the problem. Is there a way you can get around it?"

"I don't know." Scorpius dripped sarcasm. "I'll just tell the Augurey I can't come that day, I've got a date with my boyfriend. If she can't handle Muggle-borns, how do you think she'd handle—"

"You're already keeping that secret, can't you just—"

"Look. The story is, my father decided to move out of the country, and I can't handle long-distance relationships. Yes, Albus will be sad, but I'm doing this for his own good."

"We really shouldn't be discussing this here," Max warned.

"It's four in the morning, Max."

"Yes, but if word gets out about the Augurey—"

"It won't," Scorpius growled.

"See that it doesn't." Max turned back towards the window. "Albus won't like that."

"It's for his own good," Scorpius muttered.

Max sighed. "Your father's an idiot."

"I know that."

"Good luck with that essay." Max clapped him on the back, then turned towards the window. "Oh, and Scorpius?"

"What?" he snapped.

"Relationships aren't worth it," she said. "You're better off focusing on what the Augurey wants you to do."