Part 4

Scorpius stepped into the bathroom and locked the door behind him. Trying vainly to control his sobs, he slumped against the wall, shaking.

What am I doing? What am I doing? What am I doing?

He'd seen the way Emma looked at Albus. He knew. And he might not like her now, but soon he would notice her. And if not her, someone. Some girl. And he'd forget Scorpius.

Oh sure, he might still be friends with Scorpius. But that wasn't what was worrying him. No, it was something more complicated that he refused to admit to himself.

Not Albus. Anyone but Albus Severus Potter.

And it was his fault, his fault that he was letting their friendship crumble to ruins. Albus would get tired of their constant fighting and find a new friend. And he had his pick of the lot, too. He could be friends with anyone, if he really wanted to. 

Scorpius didn't stand a chance.

Sniffling, he stood up and looked in the mirror, at his hollow face and red-rimmed eyes. Things were a lot worse at home than he cared to admit to Albus. He didn't want Albus worrying over him. And he would, Scorpius knew. It was one of the things he loved about his best friend.

He sat back down again. There was nowhere to go. There was nothing to do.

BANG.

Pounding. On the door.

"Scorp! Scorpius Malfoy, I know you're in there!"

Scorpius hiccuped a sob.

"Scorpius—oh, for the love of Merlin. Alohomora!"

The door swung open and Albus flew in, bright green eyes brimming with concern. "Scorpius?"

Scorpius buried his face in his knees. He could vaguely feel Albus hugging him.

"Are you going to talk to me?" Albus said quietly, closing the door with a flick of his wand.

Scorpius remained silent.

"It's okay," Albus whispered. "You don't have to say anything."

The two sat there in silence for a while until Albus spoke again.

"Look, Scorp...I know something's bothering you, with me and Emma, especially, and it could be something at home too...I just want to know, is it Emma? Do you like her? Is that why you're so hostile when she's flirting with me?"

Scorpius laughed sardonically. So close, and yet you have no clue. "No, that's not it," he managed. "Look, Albus, just let it go."

"Fine. I'm here, okay?"

Scorpius nodded.

"Look. It's lunch, and you didn't eat breakfast. You need to eat something."

Scorpius shook his head. "I'm not hungry. I'll meet you in Potions."

"I don't want to leave you here."

"Go," Scorpius snapped, so sharply that Albus stumbled backwards and exited quickly.

A figure misted beside Scorpius.

"Helllllo," the voice purred, and he looked over to see a girl with mousy brown hair and glasses hovering in front of him.

"Myrtle," he muttered. "What are you doing? Your bathroom's on the first floor."

"I know, but all that crying is enough to wake the dead." She pouted. "What are you crying about, little Malfoy? Was it that dark-haired boy?" She stared at the door where Albus had left. "Handsome, isn't he? I used to have a crush on his father."

"That he is," Scorpius said dryly.

Myrtle raised an eyebrow. Scorpius chose to ignore it.

"Well you don't need to be sitting here crying about it," she said. "Rarely does that solve anything." She flicked one of her pigtails.

Did I just get advice from Moaning Myrtle?

And am I taking it?

Scorpius stood up. "You're right. I should...go talk to him."

Myrtle grinned. "If you get married, I should like to be at the ceremony."

"Married!?" he sputtered. "I—but—no—"

Cackling, Myrtle dove into the sink and spiraled down the drain, leaving Scorpius stuttering to a wall.

With newfound resolve, he squared his shoulders and marched out of the bathroom. A few students shot him odd looks, seeing his obviously tearstained face, but he went straight to the dungeons, arriving just in time for Potions.

Here we go.