Introduction

A lot of things inspired this story, things I'll talk about as the book progresses. I am so passionate about all my stories and all my characters, I will NEVER write until I connect with them emotionally and get into their minds, cities, families, etc. This is a story I've been working on for a while now, so I'm excited. I hope you enjoy it. I'd like to state the fact that I retain my rights to the ownership of this story.

Please remember to vote and comment, you have no idea what that does to an author. Thank you!!

****

Chapter One

Eve pushed aside the massive curtains that covered the windows and took a deep breath of the cool evening air of Greece. She sat down on the window sill, her two legs dangling in the air. She pointed her chin forward, allowing the breeze caress her face. She would miss this city and the freedom it brought her way for in three months, she was to return to her own kingdom and the ever watchful eyes of father. She let out a breath in resignation; it had been fun while it lasted. Her truce with father had finally come to an end and perhaps her whole life. She was to return home to become a submissive wife of a Prince she knew nothing about.

After three years of constant refusal to marry a prince of her father's choosing, she had made a promise.

"Give me my freedom for a year and when I return, I'll marry a man of your choosing."

The king had every right to refuse but he wasn't just a king, he was her father and while he was forbidden from showing any form of emotion in public, he was a soft hearted man in the confines of his bed chamber. He stared at her, obviously contemplating her request.

"Oh father" She fell to her knees and clutched his feet. "I have been a princess all my life, stuck in this palace. Let me live a little and experience some semblance of freedom"

"Eva" His warm voice always melted her heart. She loved father when he was alone with her but in the presence of the Royals, he was unrecognizable. Father always referred to her as Eva in private; it was his pet name for her. "Letting you go could be dangerous" His brow furrowed in concern.

"Keeping me here is dangerous. To me and my sanity." She wrinkled her nose in protest and he laughed. Good, she was getting through to him. "My King" She rested her head on his feet. "Let your Princess go for a while and I promise, I will return to you"

And he did. Thus, Athens.

"Princess Eve, get off of that window, you could fall off!" Adrianna, her servant, yelled. Her brown eyes caught fire and her thick mass of charcoal colored long hair almost appeared to be standing.

Adrianna might have been a servant but she definitely had the attitude of a Queen, a snobbish queen that is. She carried herself with an air of pride and dignity.

"Adrianna, my life is over. Some how, falling off of this window sounds appealing" Eve sighed, turning only briefly to acknowledge Adrianna's presence before turning once more to face the streets.

"For you maybe. For me, I will be killed if a scratch is found on you" Adrianna frowned as she walked over to where Eve sat on the window and pulled her back inside. "I have never met a Princess more stubborn than you are!" She scolded.

"You have never met any Princess besides me" Eve corrected, a smile on her face. She propped herself on the bed and laid back with her arms outstretched, her red hair, that bore a striking resemblance to flames of fire, coming to rest on the bed. She shut her beautiful brown eyes.

"Heaven knows why you insisted on coming here. Greece has nothing compared to Celin. Plus I miss the palace" Adrianna said, folding some sheets.

"I don't. And nobody asked you to come along. You were a punishment meted out on me by father. You and those guards down the streets that act like ordinary traders. How foolish do they think I am anyway, I know they were sent by father. Even in Greece, I'm a prisoner. I hate my life" She complained.

Adrianna stopped folding the sheets and glanced at Eve, a frown on her face. What she wouldn't do to have been given the life Eve had; a life of royalty, influence, wealth. But no, she was stuck washing dirty linens and dusting furniture. Of all people, the King chose her to accompany Eve on a fool's journey to a foreign land. Not only was the Journey from Celin to Greece a tedious one, it was extremely long and boring. One week on the ship had almost driven her mad. She hated traveling. It had been the same when she was forced to travel as a slave for weeks from Egypt to Celin. After the long trip, she swore she would never board another ship. She had been completely wrong.

Here she stood, with a Princess who wanted much more than life could afford to give. A princess who wanted to be king. Ridiculous! She was upset but an idea popped into her head that made her smile. She glanced at Eve.

"Princess Eve, I know what will make you feel better" Adrianna announced as she placed the folded the sheets in the closet.

"Speak" Eve commanded, still sprawled on the bed.

"I was at the market today" She said, wanting to add a little element of suspense in her story. "And, well, I overhead some traders talking." She glanced down at the sheet she had just folded and frowned. She wasn't built for hard labor.

"And?" Eve was impatient. Good, Adrianna smiled.

"Well, there is going to be a banquet and the cook who will be handling well, the cooking mentioned to a baker at the market that he could use some extra hands. According to him, the guests will be many and he just cannot afford to take care of that many guests" She paused and glanced at Eve who stared at her, her curiosity piqued.

"Get to the point" She demanded.

"He talked to his master and he is willing to hire an extra hand to help him cook. The pay sounded pretty"

"How does this concern me?"

"Well, you complain everyday of the fact that you want to live an ordinary life in Greece. I think this would be the ultimate experience. You will have a feel of what it means to be a servant" She finished and turned completely to face Eve who had a pleased look in her eyes. If Eve saw and felt what it meant to be a servant, perhaps she'll abandon this fool's journey and return back to Celin, contented with her life as a princess and Adrianna will have some semblance of normalcy in her own life once more.

"Hm... servant you say? For how long though? I mean, it does sound trilling"

"A few hours for a pretty pay"

"Sounds good. I get to serve others. I, a princess and perhaps a future king will not just make history by being a first female king but I'll be a first royal that knows what it feels like to be a servant!" She squealed. "Only problem is, I can't cook" She frowned. "Unless of course, you come with me!" She faced Adrianna, delight in her eyes.