Chapter Eleven

Adrianna tried her possible best to keep a straight face as she walked down the pebbled streets, two guards trailing her behind. She pushed her long mass of thick black hair aside as the breeze blew it against her face. She glanced up and saw dark clouds; just what she needed. Not only was she being forced to go back to the baker and retrieve Eve's pendant but with the darkness of the skies, it almost seemed like it was about to drop on her head. A heavy downpour was underway.

"Go a little faster, Adrianna!" She stiffened her shoulder at the sound of the guard ordering her. If only she had the power to smack him across the face. She was already moving as fast as she could but with the dark clouds, heavy breeze, and her hair slapping her across the face constantly, she couldn't move any faster.

She ignored him and kept going. How is it that Eve keeps making a mess and she has to be the one to keep cleaning after her? First it was Greece; a fool's journey from the get go. It was a wonder the King approved of it. And she didn't care but it became her business when she was dragged, kicking and screaming in her head, to Greece. Then it was her foolish obsession with Mark that almost got Adrianna locked up and beaten. Now it's her silly pendant. Couldn't she have let it go? She pushed aside her hair once more. Then, in split second, she lost her balance as her right toe kicked a pebble and with a loud yelp, she came crashing down.

"Get up!" A guard kicked hard against her leg. "We don't have all day"

"I don't want all day!" She yelled, angry tears falling from her eyes. She gathered her dress in one hand and pressed the other against the floor. Using the hand pressed against the floor, she pushed herself to her feet and dusted her gown. Why was life so unkind to her? She marched down the street in angry strides. Why did misery and bad luck go with her wherever she went? She took the turn that led to the market and found the baker's stall. She went to the door and pounded on it.

"Who is it?"

"Open this door!" One of the guards commanded as he shoved her aside.

The door flew open and the old baker stood before them. "What do you want?"

"The pendant" The guard answered.

"What? Who are you?" He averted his gaze, obviously intimidated by the two hefty Arabs that was Eve's guards.

"Give us the pendant that you collected from her. " He pointed at Adrianna." Or we will take it by force" After a few seconds, one of the guards grabbed his throat. "Now!"

"Fine!" He reached inside his shirt pocket and pulled it out. "Now, please leave"

They took the pendant and turned to face Adrianna.

"Let us go"

She turned around, tears slipping down her cheeks and she didn't try to stop them.

****

"You'll write?" Eve said, her eyes searching his as they stood on the dock together.

"How could I not?" He held her gaze.

"I swear to you, Mark, when I return to Celin, I will fix this. I will end this war"

He smiled. He always knew Eve was special and strong willed but even a woman as amazing as Eve could not possibly be able to end a war that started before she was even born.

"Don't give me your word, Eve. Do your best but don't swear on it. We could both fail" Her countenance fell. He lifted his thumb and brushed it against her cheek. "But we will try. I'm not due to return to Graceland until a month from today. Don't do anything until I return. I'll send you a letter. Even then, I must inform my father of the situation at hand before you do" He pulled her into his embrace.

"Do you think we'll win this battle, Mark?" She whispered, her head coming to rest on his shoulders.

He didn't know what to say to her. He wanted to promise that everything would be fine but he couldn't. He just couldn't be sure. Everything could go wrong before it went right.

"I think that in the end, we'll both be fine" He forced a smile.

She pulled away, her eyes filling with tears. She reached behind her neck and took off her pendant and handed it to him.

"If I don't see you again, I hope you never forget me" She placed it in his hands. "Goodbye, Mark" She turned away and boarded the ship without looking back.

"Never... Never, Eve" He whispered. "Never will I forget you" He said, meaning every word.

****

Eve stood on the deck, her mind wandering to Mark. He had become her line of thought and the only thing that kept her from going crazy on this ship. They had been traveling for three days and Adrianna had been sea sick from day one. With no one to talk to, Eve spent her days standing on the deck, over looking the sea.

She placed her hand on her forehead and sighed. Three more days on this ship and she would finally be home in Celin. Father, Mother and Chris were expecting her. They probably had everything ready for her return but she didn't want to leave Greece. She didn't want to be away from Mark and she didn't want to return to the uncertainty the life as a Princess brought. But what choice did she have? She sighed and leaned on the ship's railing. Perhaps her life was truly over. What excuse would she give father when he tries to begin plans for her arranged marriage with a Prince of his choice and she refuses? Surely father wouldn't give ears to her reasoning. No, he would definitely be outraged. He would force her to marry a man she could never love. Tears filled her eyes. Hadn't he given her her freedom, hadn't he upheld his own end of the bargain? What guarantee did she have that father would even consider ending the war with Graceland?

She felt a drop of water land on her hand. Before she could glance up, the rain began to pour with vengeance.

"Princess Eve, it's best you go to your cabin" Her guard said as he took her hand and led her inside.

"Thank you Amir. How is Adrianna doing? "

" Not too well. She is still sprawled on the floor like a dying animal"

She cringed at his description. "Well, bring her to my cabin and see to it that a bowl of chicken soup is brought in for her"

"What are your plans, Princess. I mean, she's a mere slave girl. If she dies on the ship, we'll throw her overboard. But we can't afford for you to come in contact with whatever it is that ails her. Your father will have our heads if a scratch is found on you"

"I can't leave Adrianna to die there. Surely she's just sea sick. It is not a plague or anything. Bring her to me, now!"

"As you wish" He dipped his head.

She turned and made her way to her room. Treating Adrianna would act as the perfect distraction to the storm she knew very well was brewing in Celin.