Chapter Eighteen

Chris held on to Eve as she wept in his arms. He loved his sister, she was the only one who didn't think he was useless and while Father's words earlier didn't come as a surprise, it had hit him pretty low below the belt.

When will you grow up, Christopher?!” Father practically kicked the door open, his nostrils flaring. Chris stood, confused.

“Father, I was not expe...”

“You have a responsibility to protect this Kingdom as the heir to the throne, the only heir and you would stand there while your sister gives your Kingdom to Graceland to destroy what our fathers suffered to build?” He yelled.

“Slow down, Father, I cannot hear you past your yelling!”

“This is your problem, Christopher, nothing is sacred to you! I ask God everyday what crime I have committed to be handed such an irresponsible joke of an heir!” He stormed out of Chris' room.

What Father had failed to see was that Chris was starting to put in an effort to learning how to rule the Kingdom. He was doing his best, he was paying attention to Father's instructions and was visiting the city more often to learn about the people of Celin and what they needed to make life easier for them. But Father was too busy being disappointed to actually see.

Perhaps he should be used to Father's condemnation by now. He sighed.

“Evie” He kissed her cheek and loosened her hold on him. He held her at arms length and examined her; she had been crying earlier. “Did he hurt you?” He furrowed his brow.

“He would never lay a finger on me.”

“How did he find out?”

“I have no idea. I do presume it could be my servant, Adrianna, but I could be wrong”

“So you did not utter a word to him yourself?”

“Absolutely not” She assured.

“Does your slave girl know that I am aware of the Prince of Graceland?”

She nodded. “Adrianna knows everything but I cannot deal with that thought right now. Father has shifted the courtship period to four weeks from today. Chris, what am I going to do?” She cried some more.

“There is nothing left to do, Eve. Father has informed you of his stance on this; In four weeks, you must pick a husband and Mark will not suffice.”

****

Adrianna was nervous and quite frightened. In two days, Eve had not sent for her and although the Palace was silent as usual, there was something mysterious about this particular silence.

Perhaps she should check on Eve, just to make sure the Arab had not told her the truth that it was Adrianna who had informed the king of her involvement with Mark.

She sighed. Why couldn't that nosey Arab tend to his own business?

Would Eve be upset if she showed up in her room uninvited? What was she going to do when Eve decides to punish her for her betrayal?

She stood by the foot of the stairs that led to Eve's chambers but as soon as she decided to go up the stairs, she decided against it. She would wait to be summoned, thus giving her enough time to come up with a lie to tell and if she couldn't come up with one, she would stay away long enough for all hell to let loose in the palace due to Eve's insistence on being with Mark. When that happens, everyone will be too busy trying to quench the fire that they wouldn't notice her or be bothered about punishing her.

She turned from the stairs.

“Oww!” She let out a soft cry as she bumped into something. “Idiot!” She exclaimed, hands on her throbbing forehead, blocking her line of vision. “Are you blind or you are just plain foolish?”

Feeling some sense of relief, she took her hands off of her head and came face to face with Christopher. For a brief moment, her mouth fell open and hung there.

Good, Adrianna! Just good! You try to avoid one Royal's wrath and fall into the hands of another Royal. Oh, what am I going to do now?!

“Your majesty! I am so sorry!” She fell to her knees, hands clasped before her. “I should have watched where I was going. I apologize” She begged.

He examined her for a brief moment.

“What is your name?”

“Adrianna” She heard someone say her name like a poisonous venom. “The slave girl that went to Greece with Princess Eve”

She swallowed twice, in an attempt to swallow the retort that was forming in her mouth. What was Amir doing here, why now? Oh, curse the foolish Arab.

“The slave girl who told Father about the Princess and the Prince of Graceland?”

“I...”

“One and the same, your Highness” Amir cut her off. “I caught her going to tell the king what did not concern her”

Was this idiot trying to get her killed, did he despise her that much?!

“Your Majesty...” She began.

“Speak only when being spoken to” Amir barked.

She glared at him. If eyes could kill, Amir would be laying flat in his own pool of blood.

“Go on, Adrianna, I would love to hear your defense” Chris said as he leaned his left arm on the stair's railing, his eyes fixed on her all the while.

“Princess Eve wrote a letter to Prince Mark and she commanded me to deliver it to the sea port” She paused. What excuse did she have for delivering it to the King instead? “I knew the King would be furious and would have my head if he knew I was with the Princess in Greece and I let her fall into the hands of the Prince of Graceland. Please understand that while it was a very difficult decision to make to betray the Princess, my life was in danger. The King would forgive her but I cannot say the same thing for myself”

Yes, play the victim, Adrianna. Her eyes filled with tears.

“She lies, Your Highness!” Amir sounded annoyed.

“Of course, she lies, Amir, I can tell.” Chris observed her. “You may leave, Adrianna. You are not permitted to go near my sister, you have done enough damage”

He watched her scramble to her feet and half walk, half run away.

Author's note:
Thank you guys for taking out time to read. Please do remember to vote. Thanks guys! Muah!!