Chapter Five

“Adrianna, go down to the streets and summon those guards father sent” Eve said.

Adrianna took a deep breath. “May I ask why, Princess Eve?”

“We are attending the Art Exhibition and a princess needs her guards”

“Finally, you choose to end this silly game you have been playing?”

“No. I can't be Eve tonight. We'll switch roles”

Adrianna rubbed her forehead, completely certain she would pass out any moment from now. “Once again, Princess Eve, may I ask why?”

Eve sighed. “I told Mark I was a slave to Princess Eve” Seeing the look in Adrianna's eyes, she held up her hand. “Don't say it, I know I wasn't thinking. Now, I'm stuck. And, I can't afford for him to think I'm a liar”

“Eve!” Adrianna yelled. Realizing her mistake, she put her hands over her mouth and knelt before Eve. “Princess, I'm sorry”

“It doesn't matter. Go and do as I've commanded”

****

Eve walked closely behind Adrianna who was dressed in one of Eve's royal gowns. It was a very long red gown, a gold belt around her waist, red sandals and a golden head band. Her hair was braided perfectly to the back.

Eve on the other hand, wore a rather worn out green gown with brown sandals and her hair was pulled up in a messy bun. She fought against the urge to scratch as the fabric of the gown was itchy and uncomfortable.

Adrianna moved around, observing every art work. What a beauty they all were. She could get used to this, being royal. She walked with an air of pride and dignity as she made her way around the room, greeting every soul she came across and introducing herself. Eve shadowed her until a guard came and pulled her away, instructing her to stand by the other side of the wall that held no art work, where every other slave stood. Without Eve by her side, Adrianna felt much more confident.

She walked over to an exquisite portrait of Caesar's wife. Surely, Leo was the finest artist Athens had. She reached forward and made to touch the art.

“I'm not sure you are allowed to do that” With her hand suspended in the air, she turned at the sound of the voice, her eyes coming to rest on really green eyes. He smiled. “I didn't mean to startle you but I know Leo and he doesn't take too nicely to people touching his work. Unless of course, you are willing to purchase it. But, this one you are reaching for is not for sale.”

“Um” She stammered. He stood before her, a handsome, well built man with green eyes and blond hair. He had a beautiful smile on his face. Her cheek caught fire as she stared at him. She reached to touch her cheek and turned back to the art. “I had no idea. I was looking for something I could buy for father” She turned to face him. “King Augustine. King of Celin” She finished.

He beheld her for a minute, then, his eyes seemed to be guarded. “Oh” He said, turning to walk away.

She couldn't let him go just like that. “Wait!” She yelled and every one in the room turned to look at her. She gave an awkward smile. “I'm sorry if I sounded... Well... Arrogant.” She said, tuning down her voice. “Let's start over. My name is Eve” She held out her hand to him for a handshake.

“Princess Eve?” He looked very surprised.

Good, he knew her and he was impressed. “The one and only” She jokingly curtsied.

“So, you must know Adrianna, for she claimed to be your servant.” His eyes lighted up.

“What?” She smiled awkwardly. “Adrianna?” Just then, the memory of the man with the greasy shirt came rushing back to her. This was the man Eve talked about, this was Mark?! Oh but why did he have to be so handsome? And why did the thought of Mark finding out that she was not Eve but Eve's slave, make her ashamed? She had been a slave all her life, why did she care what this stranger thinks of her? She had to do something, she had to leave! “I have to go!” She announced, shoving past the crowd.

“Wait!” He yelled but she was already making her way out of the building, Eve in hand.

Author's note:

That's what happens when authority is given to the wrong person. Hehe. Thanks for reading. Kindly touch the cute star icon(vote) and leave a comment. Thank you!