Chapter Thirty One

News of the king's death traveled throughout the city and the Royals were tasked with a more difficult job of crowning a new king as soon as possible. Graceland could not afford to be without a king for any period of time because of the war with Celin.

However, crowning a new king was taking a longer period because Raphael was contending for the throne and putting up a strong argument while Mark was too busy grieving to pay attention.

He had lost his father, the last thing on his mind was the throne. So, what if Raphael was crowned king? He sighed. He had almost given in to the idea of his cousin ruling the kingdom and the final decision was to be made today, five days after the king's death. He was on his way to the meeting when a slave insisted on seeing him.

“Your Majesty” She bowed before him. He recognized her from the day Raphael arrived the kingdom, the slave he lusted after. “I might have killed the king” Her voice shook.

“You couldn't have, my father was ill” He dismissed her with a wave and turned towards the door. 

“No” She shook her head violently, brown strands coming loose of it's braid. “At first, I did not know what it was I was giving him to drink...”

He stared at her in horror. “What did you say?”

“Poison, your highness!” She cried as her knees buckled and her small form fell to the ground.  “You have to understand that I did not know what it was” She bowed her head and buried it in her hands as she wept.

Mark stood, trembling. “What happened?” He finally managed.

“Master Raphael, he gave me wine to give specifically to the king every noon time. At first I thought nothing of it until the king began to fall ill and I noticed it worsened every time I gave him wine to drink. I have killed the king but Master Raphael cannot be allowed to be king for he has no heart” She stared at him, tearful eyes pleading.

“Raphael gave you poison to serve my father?” He whispered, his heart beat slowing down.

“I believe so, your highness although I cannot be certain. But the king only fell ill after I started taking wine to him, wine given me by the master. I have been unable to sleep for many nights. My conscience plagues me, your majesty!”

Marks hands trembled by his side. Raphael killed his father? It could not be! No!

He turned to the door and jerked it wide open, running down the hall, the stairs  and to the meeting room of the palace where all the Royals were gathered.

The door slammed against the wall as he walked in, drawing every eyes in the room to him. He could not think past his anger as his eyes scanned every face until his gaze found it's target.

“Guards!” He yelled. All the guards in the room, numbering five ran to him. “Arrest that man!” He ordered, pointing at Raphael.

“What is this?” Raphael protested.

“Your majesty, what is going on?” Richard asked.

“Raphael killed my father” He said pointedly as he stared his cousin square in the eyes. He wanted his cousin to look surprised, insulted, hurt, anything to prove his innocence. But as he looked at Raphael, he saw guilt in his eyes and he knew. “How dare you?!” He charged at him, jumping over every obstacle in his path, pushing and shoving until his hands came in contact with Raphael's neck. “How dare you kill a man who raised you as his own?” He barked.

He squeezed his cousin's neck harder until it felt like it was going to snap.

Everyone in the room stood still, their minds trying to capture fully the meaning of Mark's words- the king was killed?- every mind muttered but no one was bold enough to say those words out loud.

Raphael struggled to breathe, his entire face turning red from lack of oxygen.

Angry tears filled Marks eyes. He wanted so much to kill his cousin as he stared into his wicked eyes. But, he fought the urge to do so, releasing his neck and shoving him back.

Raphael fell to his knees gasping for air.

“Arrest him” He ordered weakly. The guards took hold of him and led him out of the room.

“This is no longer up for debate” His voice rang high as it took on a commanding tone. “I am king, the war with Celin is over, order the soldiers to retreat” He turned his back and made for the door. “This ends now” He muttered loud enough for a few Royals to hear. 

He left the room and slammed the door behind him, leaving stunned royals in his wake. 

****

“Amir, I will miss you dearly” She hugged the giant, tender fingers unable to make it all the way around him.

Amir, a free man, found no fault in returning her hug as he put his arms around her and held her close. It had been seventeen years since he last hugged anyone.

Eve was different. They had formed a bond that he was not eager to break but he had to.

“I hear the princess will choose a husband tomorrow” He said, releasing his hold on her as he stared at her in compassion. “I know this is a hard decision”

She gave a strained smile. “I will be fine, Amir”

Of course, Eve was a strong woman. For a princess, she surprised him every day but emotionally, she was anything but fine.

He pulled out his dagger from his belt and held it out to her. It was wrapped in a piece of linen.

“I will not be here to protect the princess but you will fight with this dagger. It is so sharp, it can cut a cheating man”

She threw her head back and laughed at his words. He smiled, happy he could make her laugh.

“My, I do hope I won't be needing this” She reached out and took the dagger. Then, she glanced up at him, a smile on her face.

“It belonged to my wife, Samira. She died, I was betrayed and sold”

Samira's dagger. Inscribed on it's handle was her name. It was the last of her that he carried with him. When he was sold, he did all he could to hide this dagger from the merchants that sold him and while it had been hard, he had succeeded.

He was parting his dagger with the right woman and she deserved it.

“And you seek revenge?” She watched him, sadness filling her eyes.

“Don't we all, princess? Perhaps what I seek most is freedom and I might never be free until I am avenged”

“Oh Amir, vengeance won't bring the peace you need. If nothing, it makes us make foolish decisions and then we have to deal with them. Some times, we lose more in our desire for vengeance” She touched his hand. “Perhaps you must seek love instead.” She smiled. “Fare well, Amir”

He bowed his head and turned to mount the horse she had gifted him. He rode out of the city gates, in pursuit of vengeance.

WRONG #complete On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara