Chapter Thirty

The moment Eve arrived the palace, the king, the queen and her brother stood waiting outside for her. Father's eyes were blazing red and she watched as his hands shook.

“Father...” She lifted her dress and helped herself down her horse, ignoring the guard that offered his hand to help her. She reached where the king stood and fell to her knees.

Without warning, her face burned. She reached up and touched her burning cheeks, tears running down her face. Father had hit for the first time in her life.

“I failed” She managed through trembling lips. “I failed you and I failed this kingdom and I am sorry” She cried, loosing control of her tears. “I am here to right my wrong, to fix things. I will apologize to the Princes and I will invite them once again for the proposal. Please Father, forgive me”

She lifted her eyes to watch the king as his eyes clouded with sadness.

Without saying a word, he walked back into the palace.

“Princess” Chris took her hands and helped her to her feet. “Welcome home”

She nodded her head and allowed him guide her into the palace.

A great cloud of heaviness settled over her head and a mist of sadness washed over her as she remembered her conversation with the stranger. Dare she believe him? But what did he stand to gain from lying to her? Mark had hired him to kill her!

She placed her palms over her face and wept. Fake. Everything was fake. Every time he told her he loved her, he lied. He hated her. He hated her enough to want her dead. He lured her to Graceland to have her killed.

Father had been right to try to prevent her from being with Mark. She would obey Father for he cared for her, genuinely.

A knock sounded on her door but she ignored it, barely even hearing it. It wasn't until she heard Father's calm voice did she realize she was no longer alone.

“Father” She rose to her feet, fighting to keep her tears from falling. In truth, she wanted to fall into his arms and have him comfort her.

“Eve, sit” He commanded, as he settled beside her. “I did not mean to hit you” He said solemnly.

“I deserved it, Father” Tears filled her eyes. “I deserved everything.”

She leaned forward and hugged him, her tears staining his robe. For a while, he just held her close without saying a word as her body shook in his arms.

“No” He kissed her head. “Do you know why I consented to send you to Greece?” She pulled away and shook her head. “Because I trust you. You are wise beyond your years, Eve. I knew, and I know that no matter what, you will make the right decision. You will always make the right decision”

She looked into his eyes, tired brown eyes staring back at her. Without a doubt, Father loved her and she had been such a fool to hurt him like this. He did not deserve it but she had done it any way.

Deciding that she would fix everything she had broken, she glanced up at him.

“Father, I must request one more thing of you”

“What is it, Eve?”

“Amir. Grant Amir his freedom” She begged. The Arab did not deserve imprisonment, he was there because of her. Also, she had promised to talk to father about his release from slavery. 

“It is done”