Chapter Three

“Oh Adrianna, we must go back. Find out if there is going to be another banquet” Eve said, a longing in her eyes as she sat on the window sill. 

Adrianna had had enough of Eve's whining. Ever since the party weeks ago, Eve just would not shut up about the man with the turkey on his laps. She sighed. What was she going to tell the King when she returns to Celin with a crazy princess? Surely they would have her head on a platter by noon time. As if her life wasn't bad enough already, Eve had to go crazy.

“Princess Eve, come here and lay down” She said. 

“You must find him, the man with the ...”

“The greasy shirt and turkey on his laps” She echoed Eve. “Of course I must. If only to shut you up! But does this greasy shirt man even have a name or must I go around town arresting every stranger who might have a stain on his shirt and a turkey tied around his waist like a belt?” She was exasperated.

“Perhaps I'm being silly” Eve said. “I should have asked his name but I was just too flushed to remember. And his eyes... ”

“Sitting on that window is dangerous!” Adrianna all but yelled.

“Why don't you go back to the house the banquet was held and ask the cook. I'm sure he must have some information. Yes, go right now Adrianna.” Eve shooed.

****
Adrianna walked the long distance on the pebbled pavement all the way to the house belonging to Julius, the host of the party. She had been all too excited to leave Eve, if only for a brief moment of sanity. Eve was unbearable and her insistence on finding the greasy shirt man was driving her mad.

She stood in front of the massive door of the mansion and knocked. After a few seconds, the door flew open. A slave girl stood before her, her big brown eyes filled with inquiry.

“Who are you?” She asked.

“I'm Adrianna. My Princess sent me. I'm here to see the cook”

“A princess sent you to seek out our cook?” The girl looked skeptical and Adrianna realized how crazy she must sound.

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I know it sounds crazy but she attended the banquet two weeks ago. She found the food that was served quite appealing and sent me to talk to the cook about some recipes. I'm sorry I showed up unannounced but Princess Eve just cannot get that greasy turkey off of her mind.” She said, coming up with a lie fast.

“Well, follow me then” The girl looked her over before letting her into the house.

The house opened up to a marble corridor with a big sculpure of a naked woman, standing in the middle. The girl led her through a familiar hallway that led to the kitchen. The cook, a big man with a pot belly and a mass of gray hair, stood, kneading dough. He glanced up as she approached.

“Can I help you?” His gaze momentarily fixed on her before moving back to the work before him.

“Yes” She cleared her throat. The girl who had brought her in excused herself and walked out the door. “I need to know about the man with the greasy shirt” She must have sounded crazy but that was the only information she could get from Eve.

“The what?”

“Man with the greasy shirt and a turkey on his laps. The day of the banquet, we worked here and helped you cook. There was a man... ”

“That was you? You were the one who got us into so much trouble with our master by dropping a turkey on his guest?!”

“No... Well, not me but I need to know his name. Please”

“Get out!” The cook looked angry. “Get out or I'll have you beaten and locked up”

Of course, just what she needed; to get beaten and locked up. Even that sounded more appealing than returning to Eve without the information she sought. She struggled with a satchel tied around her waist containing gold coins. She pulled out a handful and tossed it to him. “I'll give you this bag if you tell me his name”

He stared at the coins then walked around the table and drew her close, his fingers digging into her arm. She sucked in her breath. “Mark. A close friend of the Master.” He pulled the satchel off her waist and released his hold on her. “Now, get out”

“Where can I find him?” She asked.

“Stay any longer than you have and the master will make you a slave of this house. Leave, for your own good” He returned to his work.

Adrianna turned to walk away, frustrated. She had done her best, this information of the greasy shirt man would have to do for now.

Author's note:

Eve's obsession with Mark could just land Adrianna in trouble! Thanks so much for reading. Please remember to vote if you like the story so far.