Chapter Two

Strolling down the hall with a tray of well seasoned turkey in her hands, Eve could feel her arm muscles protesting at the weight of the turkey. Who knew it could be this hard to serve and wait on rich people. Good thing was, she had managed to escape the heat of the kitchen. Three hours in that kitchen and she thought she was going to suffer a brain seizure. The cook had hinted on the fact that he needed someone to take the turkey to the banquet hall and she was all too willing to volunteer herself.

As she made her way to where the guests sat, eating and drinking, she tried to keep her mind on the tray in her hands. One more step Eve, just a few more steps and you will drop this dead weight. But a few steps seemed like forever.

She balanced the tray on one hand and made to flex the muscles of her right hand when in split seconds, the tray came crashing down... Right on a guest. He fell backwards and landed on his butt.

"Oh!" She exclaimed as she stared at him, fighting the urge to laugh. The grease on the turkey covered his white shirt and the turkey sat comfortably on his laps. "I'm so sorry. I wasn't even paying attention. Here, let me help you" She extended her hand to him.

"No need. The universe is only confirming the fact that I shouldn't be here in the first place." He said, his green eyes lighting up.

She threw back her head and laughed.

"I do however worry about you. How will you explain this mess to your master?" He asked.

"My what?" She asked before realizing what he meant. "Oh, no no! I mean, yes! My Master will be very upset. He will definitely yell" She suppressed laughter. "I really am sorry"

"Why don't we pick this back up and put it back on the tray, then watch the guests eat it?"

Her eyes widened in surprise. "No, of course not! You are not serious are you?"

"No" He smiled. "I just wanted to know what your 'horrified face' was like"

She was reminded that there was some where she needed to be. She straightened.

"Nice meeting you, Mr greasy shirt" She waved her hand in farewell and picked up her long flowing skirt with the other hand.

"You forgot something" He yelled. She stopped and turned around. "Your name"

She stared at him for a minute, not sure what to tell him her name was.

"Adrianna, I'm Adrianna. Servant of Princess Eve. " She said, a sparkle in her eyes as she turned and headed back into the kitchen.

****

Mark stared after the beautiful, vibrant Adrianna. He hadn't met many people like her. She was not just funny and full of life but she was a servant whose servitude hadn't broken her spirit.

He stared at his greasy shirt and a smile played at the corners of his lips. She had called him Mr greasy shirt.

"Mark!"

He turned around and faced his friend, Julius who was the host of the party.

Julius had been a wanderer. He travelled the world searching for adventure to the utmost horror of his father who wanted him to stay home and help run the shipping business. Two weeks ago, Julius had finally returned after ten years of wandering and had announced to his family, three days ago that he intended to remain in Greece and perhaps settle down and run the family business. It was no small news. Hence, the elaborate party.

"What, what happened?!" Julius pointed at Mark's shirt. "Is that turkey on the floor, did a servant do this to you?" Anger reflected in his eyes.

"It was an accident and I was already leaving anyway. If I eat any more than I have done today, I will go into hibernation. I desperately need to get some rest. I'm meeting with the governor tomorrow"

"Still, tell me who did this to you and I'll have them punished. We can't tolerate such insubordination in this house!" He announced.

"Good night Julius. Your party has left a permanent mark on me, I must say!" He laughed as he made his way out the door.

****
Eve busted into the kitchen and slammed the door behind her. Adrianna stood by the stove, stiring a large pot of sauce. At the sound of the door, she turned to face Eve, sweat beading her fore head.

"What..." She said, confused.

"Nothing" Eve assured.

"Why do you look frenzied?" Adrianna watched her intently.

"Fine" She glanced around the large kitchen to make certain no other ears heard her. "I ran into this charming, good looking man with green eye, skin like honey and a sense of humor" She laughed. "He had the turkey seated on his laps and his shirt was greasy. Oh, it was so hilarious"

Adrianna stared at her. "He what?"

"Had a turkey on his laps"

"Princess Eve, have you been drinking the wine meant for the guests? You sound crazy, I must say" She turned to face the stove.

"I have not! And you can't call me Princess here. You can't even call me Eve. Call me Adrianna"

Shocked, Adrianna dropped the spoon and watched in horror as it was swallowed up by the sauce. She turned to face Eve.

"What did you say?!"

"Around here, I am you and you are me" She said, a look of mischief in her eyes.

"You are being silly. Come here Princess Eve, I must take a whiff of your breath to make sure you haven't had too much to drink. Why did I bring you here, why did I put such silly ideas in your mind?" She scolded herself as she grabbed Eve by the shoulder and began shoving her out the kitchen door and towards the exit.

Too joyful to protest, Eve smiled at the well constructed plan she had created in her mind.

Author's note

Once again, thanks for reading. Please remember to vote and leave a comment.