Chapter Thirteen

“Amir!” Eve yelled once more. He turned around to see Adrianna's body convulsing. Walking over to where Eve stood, he picked her up in his arms and slung her over his shoulders. “What are you doing?!” She pounded his back with her fist and kicked his torso with her feet. “Amir! Put me down right now!”

He ignored her and walked out the door, leaving Adrianna on the bed, convulsing. Her constant kicking and yelling did nothing to deter him. He had to get her out of the room. For all he knew, Adrianna was accursed, just like his wife, Samira. He couldn't risk the Princess coming in contact with the disease and dying on the ship. If the King of Celin got news that his daughter was dead, he would have Amir's head.

“What is happening?” Sayid, Eve's second guard from Saudi Arabia, stood in Amir's way. “Why do you have the Princess slung over your shoulder like that?” He asked.

“Help me!” Eve yelled frantically, still pounding on Amir's back.

“Get out of my way, Sayid” Amir threatened. Fear reflected in the Arab's eyes but he maintained his position. “Sayid” Amir warned. He was twice Sayid's size. Without a word, Sayid moved out of his way.

He walked the short distance to his own cabin and placed a yelling Eve on her feet.

“How dare you!” She slapped him hard across the chest only because she couldn't reach the giant's face.

“Princess, you will stay away from the slave girl. For all we know, she is accursed”

“What?” Eve looked confused.

“I will have Sayid see to her care if it means that much to you but if Adrianna has come in contact with something deadly, she might be contagious. I will not return the corpse of the Princess to the King of Celin. I swore on my life to protect you. I didn't make the same promise on Adrianna's life”

He watched as Eve's eyes filled with tears.

“Oh poor Adrianna! Now I'm not even allowed to see to her care!”

He stared at the creature that was Eve. He just couldn't understand her. Strong, yet fragile. Courageous, yet afraid. Arrogant, yet humble. Hard hearted, yet compassionate. He frowned. Perhaps Eve was difficult to understand as all women are. Samira was a difficult woman too. Smart, strong, gentle. So much strength in so little woman. Many a times, the soldiers under him had joked about the fact that Samira was his weakness. A mighty warrior who became a little boy at the mere sight of her. Oh, how he loved her, how he still does. It had ripped his heart to shreds knowing that he couldn't even be near her during the last days of her life. She had been contagious and had managed to infect three of her slaves. Amir had been at war and had returned home to the news of her illness which is why he wasn't exposed to it, the reason he hadn't died along with her.

“Instruct Sayid to see to Adrianna” Eve's sober voice pulled him back to the present. He nodded his head. “Have him make sure she eats the soup”

“Anything else, Princess?”

She shook her head, tears slipping down her flushed cheeks. “No, Amir.” He turned to leave. “Amir?” He turned to face her. “You must know that if Adrianna dies, it would be on me. I'm the one who dragged her to Greece. Whatever it is, keep her alive” She said.

“I'm not God, Princess”

“Perhaps not.” She turned her back to him. He watched as her small frame shook, her hands on her face.

Speechless, he went to give Sayid the instruction to see to Adrianna's care and also to retreat to a solitude place, he had a little crying of his own to do.