Chapter Nineteen

"Father"

Mark whispered as he entered his Father's bed chamber.

"Mark?" He heard his father's husky voice reach him from where he laid on his bed.

"Father!" He slammed the door shut and ran to his bed. Reaching him, he grasped his hand and trapped it between his. "I cannot tell you how happy I am to see you and how raging furious I am that no one told me what was happening, I would have come home sooner" He furrowed his brows.

The King managed what looked like a smile.

"It is good to have you home, Mark"

"I will send a letter to Nikos in Greece, requesting his immediate presence in Graceland. In the mean time, I will see to your care myself!"

"Nonsense" Father waved him off. "You will not spend your youth taking care of an old man whose body is giving up on him. Do not be like me, Mark. Do not wait until you are aged to get a wife and start bearing children. Now, I am afraid I won't be here to see you become a great man"

"Do not say that, Father"

Mark wiped his tears before it had the opportunity to fall down his face. He should have been here with Father, not in Greece, studying. But how could he have known that Father's illness had deteriorated this much? If he had been aware, he would have rushed home immediately. Now, not only had he wasted an extra one month away, he had spent a week on the ship.

He had known something was wrong the moment he arrived the palace and was restrained from seeing the King. He had known the moment Mother saw him and threw her weeping frame in his arms. He had known the moment he looked into her eyes.

"Come, Chris, tell me about Greece" Father tapped the side of his bed.

"Greece is lovely, Father" He sat beside him.

"Oh, you know what I mean!" Father watched him, his eyes lighting up. "The girl, tell me about the girl you wrote about"

Eve. His beautiful Eve. He missed her dearly and while he hadn't heard from her in ages, he had sent a letter to her before his voyage to Graceland informing her of his planned trip.

He looked into Father's aged eyes and smiled. He opened his mouth to speak but shut it up again. He could not tell father that the girl he was referring to was the daughter of his arch enemy, not with Father's ill health. He did not want to do anything to make matters worse.

"I will tell you all about her, soon"

"Now is as good as any time" He insisted. "I will tell you the truth son, I have not done anything exciting in months. Your mother keeps me locked up in this room and tortures me when she comes to pay me a visit with all that crying!" He exclaimed.

Mark chuckled a little. "Mother loves you, Father"

"I know" His eyes took on a serious look. "The girl, what is wrong with her?"

He stared at Father, wishing he could lie that nothing was wrong but he couldn't. For everything was wrong and he had a feeling that it was not about to get any better.

"Her name is Eve, Princess of Celin" He whispered, his gaze fixed on the floor as he waited for Father's reaction.

Author's Note:
HI! So, I have been thinking that I do need to round up this story pretty fast. If you're like me, you'd probably hate how long it's taking and I feel like there are other stories waiting to be written by me. So, I share your frustration (hehe). However, I would absolutely need to go offline for a while (sorry about that.) but when I do come back, I'll post the remaining part of the story. Please bear with me.

Plus, I'd appreciate it if you would vote and leave a comment. Ok, bye for now!