Chapter Twenty Three

With excitement filling her, Eve threw herself on her bed. She reached up to touch cheeks she was certain was glowing at the moment.

Oh, the joy of seeing the look of fear, uncertainty and finally, resolve in Gideon's eyes. After today's banquet, she was not even sure he would agree to spend the night. With everything she had said, she was certain he did not think she was worth the trouble of starting a war with another kingdom.

She smiled to herself. One down, several more to go. She would drive them all off  with her wise words, she would confuse them. She would stand and fight, for however long it would take, until Father gives in to her demands.

She heard a loud sound and jumped up. She turned to see that it was her door that was slammed against the wall. Father stood by the entrance.

“Augustine...” She heard Mother's soothing voice.

“Stay out of this, Silvia”

“Don't be ridiculous!” Mother said firmly. “Yelling will not solve anything. Let me speak with her alone”

“I will not stand for such a disgrace. Warn her” He stormed out the door.

She watched him leave, tears filling her eyes. She never thought the day would come when Father would wage war against her. They used to be so close, she used to be his confidante, his princess, his friend. Now, well, now, she was his problem.

“Eve, what is this?”

“Mother, please. All my life, I have obeyed Father. I have submitted to him. If I won't submit now, why can he not see there must be a reason?”

“And what is this reason, Eve? Surely you cannot keep fighting against the idea of marriage?” The Queen sat beside her on the bed.

“Of course not, Mother. It is who I want to get married to that displeases Father”

“Oh?” She looked worried and confused. “And who may this be?”

“Mark” She answered solemnly. “Oh Mother, he is just wonderful”

“I do not see why your father would stand against a wonderful man”

“Unless of course, the wonderful man I speak of is the Prince of Graceland”

She watched as the Queen's countenance fell and her eyes filled with sadness.

“Eve” She squeezed her hand. “Your father adores you but the problem between the two kingdoms...”

“...can be resolved, Mother, you know they can! What divides us, what can be so big that cannot be breeched?”

“Nature divides us. The crystal river of Celin and the river of Graceland, while they meet, they do not mix. Centuries ago, our people believed it was strange and both kingdoms decided to live apart; no trade, no alliance, nothing connected us.

This would be the case for several more years until the war broke out between us. Two powerful kingdoms could not live so close to each other and have no relationship existing between them. We were either going to be at peace or at war. There is no such thing as silence between two kingdoms. The kings chose war” She finished.

“So, a river divides us” She mused. “Mother, would it not cost Celin less to broker peace than it would to wage war? Consider all the money that has been wasted, consider of the soldiers that have been lost in battle. Surely, the people must have a change of heart by now. War is to our disadvantage much more than it is to our advantage.

And this river you speak about, think of it as you would Chris and I; siblings, yet completely different. We meet, but we do not mix and we do not have to because our mixing will be changing who we are, our individuality. It is okay to meet, to be at peace with the other without compromising our individuality. Oh Mother, why can't we all see?” She begged.