Chapter Twelve

Keeping the sheets from slipping off of her body was proving to be a difficult task to accomplish. Adrianna tried her best to keep her mind off of the movement of the ship underneath her body but she just couldn't. The constant rocking was causing her mind to go into a frenzy and her body to come up with various ailments. She had been throwing up since she set foot in the ship and by the following day, she began to run a fever. At the moment, all her lymph nodes were swollen.

Tears slipped down her cheeks. Oh, how she longed for the warmth of a comfortable bed underneath her body, how she longed to have a stable, unmoving ground under her feet. She hated her life! She hated Greece and she fought very hard not to hate Eve as well. It was all her fault after all. If she didn't get off of this ship soon, she would die on the spot.

"Adrianna, Eve requests your presence, now!" She didn't bother to look up to know who was speaking, Amir. But she couldn't get up, her feet just could not carry her entire body weight.

"I can't." She said through trembling lips.

"That's an order, Adrianna, not a request."

"No!" She said, upset. "I can't possible stand up not to mention walking all the way to Eve's cabin. Surely, I will die on the way!"

"And I'll throw your dead body overboard" Amir said, desire in his voice.

"Oh, Amir, torment me all you will but I'm helpless. At this stage, I would rather you do throw me overboard but I can't do what the Princess wants" She closed her eyes, exhausted. She didn't have the energy to be afraid of Amir and his silly threats. If Princess Eve wanted her dead, then so be it but she was incapable of following orders at this point.

She felt someone wrap his arms around her waist and sling her over his shoulder. She let out a pained yelp, her head spinning so hard, she passed out.

****

Amir walked into Eve's cabin, Adrianna dangling from his shoulder.

"Princess Eve, I have brought Adrianna"

Eve glanced up at him. "Of course." She rose up from her bed. "Place her down here"

He walked to the bed side and half threw Adrianna on it.

"Be careful!" Eve looked horrified. "Adrianna" She touched her head. "Are you okay? Her body temperature is over the moon" She faced Amir. "Bring me a piece of fabric and a bowl of water" She said and he bowed his head and walked out. "Adrianna, you are going to be just fine. In a few days, we'll be in Celin" A soft moan escaped Adrianna's lips. "Oh Adrianna, I'm so sorry you get so sea sick. I will be sure to ask Father to give you some time off to rest when we return. Perhaps a few weeks." She propped herself on the bed side and touched Adrianna's hand. "I'm apprehensive about our return. I fear what will happen. I fear I have lost Mark forever and I fear Father will want nothing to do with me or even worse, he'll force me to marry a boring Royal" She sniffed. "Perhaps there are times I envy you, Adrianna. There are times I wish I didn't have so many responsibilities, I wish I was a normal woman and if I must be royal, I wish I was made a man so I can be king. Ah, I should stop my ranting and see to your care!" She rose up from the bed and right on cue, Amir walked back into the room with a bowl of water in one hand and a piece of fabric in the other hand. "Thank you" She took the bowl and fabric from him.

"Would you like anything else?" He bowed his head.

"The soup" She dipped the fabric in the bowl and brought it out dripping with water. She squeezed it and dabbed Adrianna's head.

"I'll see to it" He walked out the door.

"Don't worry Adrianna, you'll be just fine" She whispered.

****

Amir Ahmed, a great Arab warrior, had no idea what he was doing on a ship, tending to a sick slave and a spoiled Princess.

Betrayed by his own brother in law, Rashid, who sought vengeance for the death of his sister, Amir's wife, Samira. Samira, had died of a mysterious virus that had not only killed her, but had made it compulsory for her to be quarantined until her death. How on earth could Amir have gotten close enough to kill her? But Rashid wasn't a man of sound reasoning. He drugged Amir and sold him into slavery. The only thing he remembers is waking up on a ship just like this, chained. He made a fist at the memory. How he desired so much to get his hands around his brother in law, he would be dead in the blink of an eye. Rashid had the option of killing Amir when he had the chance but had opted to sell him instead, knowing it would be worse, for dying had more honor in it than being a slave.

Amir was auctioned in the slave's market and was sold to the Household of King Augustine of Celin who had a thing for slaves from around the world. He could have lived with the shame of being a slave and was beginning to cope with it for he was given the task of guarding the king but all of that changed when he was forced to travel to Greece with the Princess in order to protect her but he had to be an undercover guard. He was glad the trip to Greece was over and he could finally return to Celin.

If he worked hard enough and diligently enough, perhaps the king would grant him his freedom and he could return to Medina to get his vengeance on Rashid.

He pushed the door to the ship's kitchen open and bent his large frame in order to pass through it.

"Have you prepared the soup?"

"Yes" The old cook answered, motioning with his hand towards the table. "It's right there. I have included some herbs to help with her sea sickness. That should make her feel better"

Amir turned to the table and picked up the bowl. He didn't care for Adrianna and whether or not she got better. On the contrary, he would rather she died. He didn't like Adrianna very much, perhaps for no particular reason but his instincts were against her.

He walked the short distance to Eve's cabin and knocked on the door.

"You may enter!" He heard Eve's voice. He stepped into her room and noticed Adrianna's still form on the bed.

"Is she dead yet?" He didn't realize he had said that out loud until he saw the disapproval in Eve's eyes.

"Leave us, Amir" She commanded.

He didn't need much probing as he turned to leave.

"Adrianna?!" Eve sounded frantic. "Amir, I need your help, I think she's dying!" She yelled and he stopped in his tracks.

Author's Note :

Hey guys. Thanks for reading. Please remember to vote and leave a comment. Constructive criticism is very much welcome but please don't be mean about it. Hope you are enjoying the story so far, I'd like to know.