Chapter Ten

Adrianna turned from folding fabrics at the sound of the door opening. Eve.

“Princess Eve, how was your day with Mark?” She tried to sound cheerful even if she was anything but happy. How could Mark be in love with Eve? How could he love her with the knowledge that she was nothing but a slave, even if that knowledge was false. But Mark's constant insistence on seeing Eve every evening was driving her mad. Thankfully, this foolishness ends in a week; they were expected in Celin very soon.

“Horrible!” Eve let out a loud wail and threw herself on the bed.

“What happened?” Adrianna said, fighting the urge to smile. She left the fabrics by the wardrobe and went to Eve.

“Oh Adrianna!” Eve threw her arms around her, her body trembling as she wept. “I have never wanted any man so badly and now I find out that I can't have him!” She wailed.

Adrianna let out a surprised gasp. Eve couldn't be with Mark? Best news she has heard all year! “There, there, Eve” She patted her shoulder. “Calm down and tell me what it is”

“Mark... Prince... Graceland” Her words came out in broken sobs, Adrianna had to strain to hear her.

“Mark is a Prince?” She needed to verify.

“Yes!”

“Of Graceland?” Her voice was dangerously low.

“Yes!” Eve cried louder.

How could it be?! What were the odds that two Royals from warring Kingdoms would meet and fall in love! Surely the gods of Egypt were smiling down at Adrianna! She needed all the composure in her to keep from leaping for joy. And to think she didn't have to lift a finger to try to separate them. What were the odds! Once Mark sees his folly, he would turn his attention to her and she would finally stop being a slave, she would be the Queen she had always known she was destined for.

“Then you must tell him the truth about your identity. He deserves to know” She said. Surely Mark would run as fast as he can when he finds out the truth about Eve. Then, Adrianna would get the chance to spend time with him and show him that she was worth his love.

“I did” Eve's sobbing eased and she pulled away to look at Adrianna. Her eyes were swollen and her entire face was red.

“You did?” Adrianna tried to look sympathetic. “How did he take it?”

“He says it's our destiny to stop the war” She shrugged.

The blood drained from Adrianna's face. “He said what?!” She screeched.

“He wants to be with me. I'm so afraid, Adrianna! What would Father say about this horrid news?”

Who cares about the king! “You can't give the King such news, it could kill him. Think about it, Princess Eve! Please think about it before you make such a ridiculous mistake! Return to Celin and forget Mark” She was desperate.

“That's the problem, I can't forget Mark. I can't! You must help me, Adrianna, help me make a plan to convince Father to end the war. For my life is over without Mark!”

“I'm afraid I can't help you” Adrianna whispered. “What power do I, a slave, have over the King?”

“I'll write a letter to Christopher, briefing him on the situation. He should be able to help me. Grab some ink and a sheet of paper, Adrianna”

****

Dear Chris,

I'm afraid I'm doing poorly over here. I have managed to fall in love... Wait for it... With the Prince of Graceland. You must keep my secret and you must help me find a way around this mess. I'll be arriving Celin in a few days. I trust you with this, Chris. Don't let me down. I understand that I might be starting a war of my own with Father and I need soldiers to fight with me.

I love you.

Eve.