Chapter Sixteen

Amir walked the palace grounds, on his way to carry out an assignment given to him by Prince Christopher when he sighted Adrianna, a smile on her face, hurriedly walk out of the door that led to the King's quarters.

Suspicious, he ran towards her as she turned the corner. He grabbed her hand at the foot of the stairs. She tried to scream but he put his hand over her lips and wrapped the other one on her waist, lifting her off of the floor and taking her to the corner of the stairs.

“Scream, and I will easily crack your neck” He whispered menacingly in her ears. Slowly, he slid his hand off of her lips but maintained his grip around her waist. “What have you done?”

“I... I...” She stammered. “I do not know what you...”

He shoved her against the wall before she could finish and grabbed her throat. “Rephrase that” He growled.

She struggled against his grip but he held on tightly. He wanted so much to kill this conniving slave girl. People like her didn't deserve to live, just like Rashid didn't deserve to live. The muscle in his jaw worked.

“I failed to mention to you that I was a warrior before I was betrayed. I have snapped many necks, none as fragile as yours but none has appealed to me more than yours.” He said. “I will ask you again and the next words that comes out of your lips better be the truth, Adrianna!”

“I told the King about Princess Eve and Prince Mark, the Prince of Graceland. I had to do something, the Princess has gone mad for a man she can never be with” She said frantically, gasping for air.

“Who made you judge of that!” He roared, forgetting he was trying to stay hidden. “You will stay away from Princess Eve.”

He had no idea why he hated Adrianna so much but the blackness of her heart bore a striking resemblance to the blackness of Rashid's heart. Rashid had stood against his marriage to Samira for many months and after his sister died, he had blamed Amir for it and had sold him into slavery. Perhaps he was so angry because he was deprived of his revenge on his brother in law.

He released his hold on her neck and watched as she scrambled away, like a rat that was let loose. Good, she better run and hide because next time, she might not be so lucky.

****

King Augustine stood, shocked. He didn't know how to feel about the news of Eve and the Prince of Graceland. Had it been a mistake to let her out of his sight for so many months? What was happening?! He rubbed his forehead. Did she really think he would let her end up with his arch enemy, a kingdom that has waged war with his for centuries?

He picked up the letter and stared at it again.

Dear Mark,

I got to Celin safely and I'm doing fine. I miss you so very much every single day. I still worry about Father and what he would say when I give him the news that I'm in love with you and I want to be with you. I love Father so very much and I hate to see him hurt.

Chris, my brother, says I should leave things as they are and forget I ever met you but he fails to understand that he is asking me to do the impossible for I can never forget you, Mark. I really can't. I hate to think that I might be forced to choose between you and my family. I hate to think that the answer to that question is obviously you. Oh, Mark! Please get back to Graceland as soon as possible, I'm dying of anxiety.

Eve.

He frowned and tore the letter to pieces. Rising up, he made his way out the door. He had a lot to say to Eve, none of which would be pleasant.

Author's note:

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. So, as I was typing  this chapter, I thought it would be fun to tell Amir's story on a totally different book. I know I'd love to read about it. So, if you would too, leave a comment and I could start on it. Meanwhile, don't forget to vote on this chapter if you loved it and, don't forget to have a fabulous day!