Chapter Twenty

“Daughter of King Augustine?”

“Yes, Father”

He listened for a while for Father's reaction but none came. He lifted his eyes to look at him; other than the look of surprise in his eyes, there was nothing else there.

“You are certain?” The King whispered.

“I am. I would not have brought this up right now, considering your health but I have my mind made up that she is the one I want to be with”

“Oh, Mark!” The King blinked twice and shut his eyes. “I need to rest before I can even begin to contemplate what you have just told me”

“I understand, Father. You should rest” He leaned down and planted a kiss on the King's sweaty brows. “I will make certain to check on you in an hour” He rose to his feet.

“Mark” He stopped in his tracks. “Not a word of what you have just informed me. I cannot have a Royal upheaval on my hands, I am too weak for that. We will discuss this first”

“Of course” He stood in his position for a few minutes until the King's eyes flickered shut. Then, he turned around and walked out the door.

He made his way down the hall in an effort to get to his own quarters when the Queen accosted him.

“Mark” She smiled as she hugged him for the umpteenth time, her slender frame coming to rest in his arms. He noticed that she had lost a lot of weight.

“Mother” He rested his chin on her mass of blonde hair; he got his hair color from her. 

“You have seen your Father, have you not?” She pulled away. “He is in need of a physician and I am so glad you are back home. This way, you can see to his care. Also, there is a lot that needs to be taken care of here in the kingdom, a lot I need to talk to you about”

“Yes, Mother. However, I am certain they can wait” He leaned down and kissed her pink cheek. “Right now, I think I need a bathe and some food. How about that?” He winked playfully.

“Of course!” She waved him off. “I will see to your meal myself.” She turned to walk away.

“Mother!” He yelled after her. “Make that a greasy turkey. I cannot tell you how much I desire one right away” He smiled to himself and continued on his path.

His meal was prepared and brought to him in his chambers by a company of servants. Everything from mashed potatoes to chicken soup to pie to his personal favorite; greasy turkey.

He watched them as they placed the meal before him and bowed their heads before leaving the room.

When he was done with his food, he threw himself on his bed and slept for what seemed to be two minutes but one look at the clock when his mother walked into his room, told him he had slept for over two hours.  

“Did I awaken you?” The wind carried her soft voice to his ears.

“I guess it most definitely could not wait” He tried hard not to grumble.

“It is a matter of great importance”

He sat upright and rubbed his eyes. “What is it, Mother?”

“Your cousin, Raphael”

“What about him?” He watched her intently.

Raphael was the son of his uncle, his father's brother. His mother had passed when he was just a lad and they had grown up in the palace together after his father died in a war that was fought between Graceland and Celin. Even though they were cousins, they had lived like brothers for many years.

“He covets the throne. I fear he is planning to dethrone your Father and take his place as king”

“That is ridiculous, Mother. When father dies, I am next in line to the throne, not Raphael. The only way he can become King is after I am dead without an heir to take over from me”

“So it seems. But your father has been ill for many months, most of which you have been absent. Raphael has ruled the kingdom in those months and I might not know much but I do know this; you will be careful around him. Rumor has it that he has convinced some of the Royals that he is a much more competent king than you or your father could ever be”

“So I return to a sick father and a covetous cousin? Where is Raphael, by the way?”

“On a three days voyage to Kristin to strengthen ties between the two kingdoms. He has ruled quite well in your absence, Mark” Her voice was laced with accusations.

“Mother, it was of great importance that I went to Greece”

“Of course, Mark. But oh, how I wish that your foolish desires will not cost you your kingdom.”

****

Amir held a letter from Greece in his hands. He had no idea why he was going against the king's instructions to deliver to him anything that came from Greece.

The letter had arrived earlier in the day and thankfully, Amir was at hand to take delivery of it. While he could not be certain who the letter was from, he had no doubt it was from Mark.

He walked to Eve's quarters and pounded on her bed room door.

“Princess? It is Amir”

“Go away” He heard her voice.

“Princess, this is important” He insisted and did not wait for her reply before pushing the bedroom door wide open.

He shut the door behind him and turned to find her seated on her bed, her knees drawn up to her chest and her hands wrapped around her legs. She glanced up and looked at him, her eyes filled with tears.

“A letter for the Princess from Greece” He announced.

Her eyes lighted up as she jumped to her feet and retrieved the letter from him. He almost smiled at her enthusiasm.

“How did this get past Father?” She asked as she stared at it in awe.

“I betrayed your Father's trust” He whispered.

“Oh Amir!” He felt small arms around him.

“Princess” He stiffened at her touch, surprised.

“Request of me now, anything and I will grant it to you” She said, happily.

He stared at her, surprised. Had she just told him to ask for anything? Could she grant him this one desire? No. He shook his head. He would be a fool to think that Eve would give him what he longed day and night for.

She watched him patiently, a smile on her face. “Go on, Amir, ask”

“Release me, Princess. Grant me my freedom.”