Chapter Twenty One

Eve stared at Amir. How could she grant him his freedom when he did not belong to her but to Father. He was a slave but also one of the Kingdom's warrior. It was not a decision she could single handedly make.

“Amir” She touched his arm.

He nodded his head. “I understand, Princess. It was a silly request. Forgive me”

“No!” She shook her head. How could she turn his request down? But how was she going to convince Father who seemed to have waged a war of his own against her. “I will speak to the King. But I need your help in destroying Father's plan to get me married off to a complete stranger.”

“Anything, Princess”

“The Princes will arrive in less than two weeks. You and I, we will give them reasons not to want to propose to me” She smiled.

****

“I have considered your words about this princess. I know you quite well, Mark, if she could gain your love, she must be special.” The King's ageing eyes filled with pain as he let out an agonizing cough.

“Relax, Father” Mark touched his arm.

“I am an old man, Mark. I have made so many mistakes, mistakes I only recognize as such right now. If I am going to be honest, I know I most definitely won't get any better” He held up a trembling finger as Mark opened his mouth to protest. “Do not lie to me, son. I have had more than enough people do that for quite some time; too many physicians are terrified of pronouncing a king beyond repairs. I would like for my own son to not lie to me” He wheezed.

Mark turned away and wiped his tears. His father was right; he was beyond treatment.

“I would love to meet her, this princess but I doubt I will. How ever, convincing the men of the royal courts about Celin will not be easy. I am afraid that convincing King Augustine to give his daughter in marriage will be impossible.” He stared at him and smiled weakly. “But if it is worth anything, you have my blessings”

Mark smiled at the conversation he had with his father two days ago. He hadn't thought it would be that easy to gain the king's approval. However, he still had a number of men to convince.

He flipped open the report that was brought to him earlier in the day containing matters of the kingdom that had to be taken care of in his absence.

After an hour of going through the report, he concluded that Raphael had done an exceptional job with the kingdom's administration. Perhaps Mother had mistaken Raphael's involvement with covetousness. Good thing was, his cousin was due to arrive today. Perhaps he would get the chance to smoothen things out with him.

He rubbed his eyes and held them shut, his mind going back to Greece and the day he had seen Eve for the first time. He smiled, the sound of her happy laughter resounding in his ears. What was he going to do without his beautiful Eve?

“Mark!” He half jumped at the sound of his name. “Oh cousin, did I startle you?” Raphael had a smile on his face as he walked over to where Mark stood.

“Why, certainly” He faked a frown. “Were you not taught to knock before you enter, where you are from?”

“Forgive me, Your Majesty” Raphael bowed his head in a mock gesture. “I just assumed by the door that was left wide open that it was okay for peasants like myself to let ourselves in”

“Ha!” Mark laughed as he threw his arms around his cousin, holding him in a death grip of a hug. “I cannot tell you how much I have missed you, brother”

“Easy there, or I am afraid you will be missing me for eternity” Raphael struggled against his hold. Finally let lose, he punched Mark's shoulder. “Look at you!” He exclaimed. “All these months away and you still manage to add some weight. I will bet the women in Greece are something, for you are positively glowing my friend!” He laughed as he settled on a chair.

“I tried to stay rested” He settled beside his cousin. “But only one woman caught my attention and she is not a daughter of Greece.”

“I am completely disappointed in you, Mark. So many goddesses in Greece and you pick just one when you could have the whole bunch?” He laughed before motioning for a servant. “A bottle of fine wine and two glasses.” He instructed.

“Yes, Master”

He waited until the slave left the room before turning to Mark. “Back to Greece. Tell me about this fine woman who has stolen your heart” He laughed.  

“Her name is Eve” He smiled at the memory. “She ended up knocking me off of my feet, quite literally”

The servant walked back into the room, wine and two glasses in hand. She placed it before them. As she turned to leave the room, Raphael watched her with lust in his eyes.

“Tell me you are not defiling Father's slaves” Mark watched him, quite annoyed.

“Slaves have been handed to us men for service. I am sure you know that includes other things too” He laughed as he poured himself a glass.

“Father forbids it”

“The King is sick, Mark. Besides, I most certainly will not tell so he does not have to find out. Relax and enjoy” He took a sip of his wine. “The girl, what is her name?” He stared at Mark, wine in hand. 

“I just told you, Eve” He rolled his eyes.

“Eve sounds delicious” He licked his lips. At the look of annoyance in Mark's eyes, he threw his head back and laughed. “Seriously though, you said she was not a daughter of Greece?”

“No.” He avoided eye contact with Raphael. “She is the princess of Celin” He heard a loud coughing sound from Raphael. He lifted his eyes and saw his cousin choking. “Raphael?” He rose up and reached for him but he slapped his hands away. “Raphael, don't be ridiculous, let me help you” He insisted.

Raphael glanced up at him, eyes red.