1. The Goodbyes & Homophobia

"I'm going to miss you so much! Please don't leave me!" Cory says while hugging Shawn.
"Cory, I'm only gonna be gone for a week!" Shawn says and lets go of Cory.
It's a Tuesday morning in New York and everyone's saying goodbye as Katy, Shawn and Maya are going away for a few days.
"We can't wait any longer Maya, we need to get going" Katy says through the passenger seat window of her red little car.
"Not yet, I'm not leaving without saying goodbye to Riley." Maya responds.
"Why not? What's the big deal?" Katy asks.
Everyone looks surprisedly at Katy.
"Okay, nevermind..." Katy says.
"I'm gonna miss you Maya!" Farkle says and hugs her. Smackle, Zay and Lucas stands next to him in that order. Maya hugs Smackle, then Zay and when she comes to Lucas they're about to hug but stop and does an awkward high-five.
"Well, that's not awkward at all..." Zay says.
"I'm here! I'm here!" Riley says while running down the street towards them.
"You made it!" Maya says.
"You didn't think I would let you leave for 5 days without even saying goodbye, did you?" Riley says and hugs Maya.
"I'm going to miss you so much! Please don't leave me!" Riley says while hugging Maya.
"Riley, I'm only gonna be gone for a week!" Maya says and hugs Riley harder. "... But I'll miss you too, honey."
They let go of the hug and Riley walks over to her other friends as Maya jumps into the car. She stands next to Lucas as they wave to Maya while Maya waves back from the front passanger seat of her moms car. They wave for about 5 seconds and then Lucas grabs Rileys hand. Maya looks away right after that only to miss the part where Riley lets go of Lucas hand and Lucas looks at her wondering what's wrong but Riley pretends like nothing trying to regain Maya's attention while waving. The cars drive away, Shawns car first and Maya reaches out her hand through the open window to wave once again at her friends before they drive away.
Half an hour goes by listening to the Radio.
"I still don't get why we coudn't have gone in Shawns car. We could've taken the bus home again." Maya says to her mom in their red little car.
"I don't like buses." Katy responds.
Silence spreads through the car for a moment. Their driving behind Shawns big grey car and they're gonna do that for quite some time. Mayas phone vibrates, she looks at it and lights up. Riley sent a message.
"Miss you already!!" The message reads. Maya smiles big.
"Miss you too!!" Maya answers and puts down her phone.
"When will we get there?" Maya asks.
"To Charlotte? About 9 and a half hours if we don't stop. But since we will stop somewhere every 2 hours it should take another 11 hours." Katy answers.
"Okay." Maya says.
There's a silence in the car once again.
"Hey, why aren't we staying in Miami as long as Shawn?" Maya asks.
"He's there to take photos of that Pride thing and; I don't really feel like being there for it."
"Why?"
"I don't know, the whole thing makes me uncomfortable..."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, you know, people are running around half-naked and things and it makes me uncomfortable."
"The whole thing makes you uncomfortable? Even the reason it exists?" Maya asks.
"Well, the whole thing doesn't quite make me uncomfortable, it's more like I don't really see a point in it."
"But people are still fighting for gay rights? People are still discriminating LGBTQ people?" Maya's making a few handgestures as she speaks.
"Yes, and it's not really for no reason at all..." Katy says.
"What? What do you mean?"
"Well, it's unnatural and to me, gross." Katy says.
Maya looks at her with a surprised facial expression mixed with anger. She grabs her bag and takes out her headphones. She plugs them in and starts a playlist called R. She looks at the text from Riley once again and smiles.