51. Say What Now?

"Right!" Jeff says suddenly. "I don't mean to interrupt or be rude but we should get going now, Leah. Kermit's waiting to pick you up."
"Wait what?" Zay asks as he and Maya gets surprised.
"Right, my parents are divorced now." Leah says.
"Not what I was reacting to." Zay says.
"Right, I also have two dads." Leah says and for every word Maya's eyes get wider.
"Still not what I was reacting to." Zay says.
"Yeah, my other dad has a weird name." Leah says.
"Not that either. You know, maybe we should stop talking before her eyes come out of her head." Zay says referring to Maya. "Can we meet here tomorrow again?" He asks.
"I can't tomorrow, my dad's taking me to a baseball game. But in a week?" Leah asks.
"See you then!" Zay says and smiles.
"Bye!" Leah says as she flashes a smile before running after her dad.
Zay looks at Maya for a moment. She's staring into nothing, obviously still trying to piece everything together.
"So... This is the moment where I could pretend to be stupid and ask what's up." Zay says. "Or I could ask you if you really think the Kermit they're talking about is your dad."
"Birth dad." Maya corrects him.
"Right, sorry, I forgot." Zay says. "So? Do you think it's the same guy?"
"I should get going." Maya says as she tries to shake out of it.
"Oh, okay."
"I told Riley I'd be back pretty soon, so..."
"Yeah, no that's fine. You need time to think, I get it."
"Zay?"
"Yeah?"
"Don't tell anyone about this. I don't want them to know." Maya says.
"It's okay, I won't." He answers. " Oh, but you don't have to keep me having been a foster kid a secret though. Lucas knows and the only reason you guys don't is because it hasn't come up."
"Alright." Maya says as she gets up.
"Wait." Zay says and Maya stops. "You're really not gonna tell Riley about this? What about the fact that you swore you wouldn't keep any more secrets from each other?" Zay asks.
"Right." Maya says.
"You haven't told her about the whole 'Josh' thing either, have you?" Zay asks.
"No." Maya says.
"Why don't you just tell her? The longer you wait, the more hurt she will be."
"Because I don't want to hurt her. It's not exactly the best news. Why do I have to tell her, anyway?" Maya asks.
"Partially because it would be pretty mean to not tell her but also because the truth always comes out."Zay says.

Maya gets in through the bay-window in Riley's room.
"Hi." Riley says and kisses Maya on the cheek.
"Hey." Maya says and smiles.
"What did you guys talk about?" Riley asks.
"Not much. Did you know Zay used to be a foster kid?"  Maya asks.
"Wow, really? Huh." Riley says. "Wait, you found out he used to be a foster kid and you call that not much?" She asks and smirks.
"Well I don't know." Maya says also smirking. 
"What, he just mentioned it all of the sudden?" Riley asks.
"No." Maya says and takes a breath. "Actually we met a former foster sister of his." Maya explains.
"Oh, okay. Wait, here in New York?" Riley asks.
"Yeah, she also got adopted and then moved here." Maya answers.
"Oh. How was she?" Riley asks.
"She seemed nice." Maya says.
"What was her name?" Riley asks.
"Leah. I mean, I think it was Leah."
"You okay?"
"Yeah, why?"
"You're acting a little wierd."
"No, I'm fine."
"Okay." Riley says. "Was she pretty?"
"I don't know, I guess, why?" Maya asks.
"Just asking." Riley says.
"Are you jealous?" Maya asks and smiles at Riley.
"No! I am not." Riley says in a grumpy tone.
Maya kisses her.
"Good cus you don't have to be."  Maya says smiling.
"Why is that?" Riley asks smiling.
"I won't see her again." Maya says.
"Well I mean, you don't have to go that far." Riley asks and furrows her eyebrows. "I mean it's not like something happened, right?"
"Of course not."
"Well, do you like her?"
"No."
"You can still see her then Maya, it's no problem." Riley says.
"Yeah, I know, I just don't want to." Maya says.
"Why? Did she say something rude?" Riley asks.
"No." Maya asks with a troubled face. "She seemed really nice."
"So what's the problem?" Riley asks.
Maya doesn't answer. She doesn't say anything. She doesn't know what to say. Riley then takes her hand.
"I think she's my sister." Maya says.
"WHAT? HOW? WHO? WHY?" Riley asks obviously shocked.
"We met her dad, Jeff. And he said that they should get going cus Kermit's waiting to pick her up."
"That doesn't mean she's his kid?" Riley says.
"Yeah but Zay was all like 'wait what??' and she said that she has two dads, that they're divorced and that one of them has a weird name." Maya says.
"Oh." Riley says.