34. A Break Up

It's Saturday, the day after Riley and Maya's big fight. While some of Riley's friends and family are at pride today too, the others have just made sure they're busy to give Riley and Maya a chance to talk in privacy. Riley's sitting in the bay window waiting for Maya and suddenly she climbs in and sits down next to Riley.
They sit there for many seconds just looking at the opposite wall, fearing what's going to happen and what will have happened when Maya climbs out the bay window again. They're both scared it'll be the last time she climbs through it.
"You don't trust me?" Riley suddenly asks still looking at the opposite wall in her bedroom.
"I don't know." Maya replies.
"Yesterday you said you didn't." Riley mentions.
"I just wanted to put an end to the argument and leave." Maya says.
"Well, you did." Riley then says.
They're both still looking at the opposite wall as they're talking.
"Why don't you know if you trust me?" Riley then asks looking at Maya.
Maya looks down at the floor.
"It's not that I don't trust you, Riley, it's just... After our fight yesterday, I met Lucas and we talked. He started talking about The Couples Game and then brought up Charlie." She says and starts looking at her left hand, drawing a continuos circle with her finger while starting to think about how a circle never ends. "And that's when I started thinking more." She then adds and stops drawing a circle. "Since we met Lucas you've been confused back and forth, not knowing what you want or who you want. Expecting me to tell you how you feel. I guess I'm just questioning if this really is what you want. I'm thinking that maybe we should take a break." Maya says and looks back at Riley.
"From each other?" Riley says looking hurt and worried.
"God, no!" Maya says. "But from being a couple."
Riley thinks for a few seconds.
"Call me your girlfriend." Riley says.
"What? Why?" Maya asks.
"Cus you haven't yet. You always avoid that word, work your way around it. Why don't you want to say it?" Riley asks.
"I don't know, but it's just a word." Maya tries to defend herself.
"Exactly. So why do you have a problem with it?" Riley asks again.
"I don't know! But can we get back on the subject now?" Maya asks.
"Fine." Riley answers.
"Look, I think you need to figure out what you want instead of what I want you to want. And I know I've got stuff to figure out too." Maya says.
"So we're breaking up?" Riley asks.
"No, I don't want us to. We're just taking a break." Maya says.
She then takes Riley's hand and kisses it before she lets it go and climbs back out. Outside, on the front of the building she sees Lucas sitting alone on the same bench they sat on yesterday evening. He's even sitting on the same spot. She sits down next to him.
"It's summer. How come your butt froze to the bench?" Maya asks making him laugh.
"No, I just thought I'd sit here and maybe then I'd be the first one to know what just happened with you two." Lucas says.
"We're taking a break." Maya says sounding disappointed although it was her idea."We've got stuff to figure out." She then adds.
"On your own?" He asks furrowing his eyebrows.
"This once, yes." Maya answers. "But what happened yesterday? After I left?"
"Allison showed up almost as soon as you left. She sat down next to me, Lauren left. Lauren stopped after a while and turned around to look at me. I wanted to run after her but realized it's better to tell Allison the truth before I tell Lauren. So that I'm not cheating or anything." He explains.
"So you broke up with Allison?" Maya asks.
"Yes." He replies.
"So you were literally together with a girl for like 24 hours?" Maya asks and laughs a little.
"Yup." He says and laughs too.