46. No Secrets

It's now a Monday morning when Maya climbs in through Riley's bay window. Riley's, again, lying sideways facing the bay window. She sees Maya climb in and sits up in her bed instantly.
Maya sits down in the window and Riley soon gets up to sit next to her. Maya looks down for a few seconds before she says anything.
"Are you sad because of what I said?" Maya asks.
"What?" Riley asks trying to seem like she doesn't know what Maya's talking about.
"They told me." Maya says.
"Who?" Riley asks.
"Riley, I'm not supposed to tell you this, but we had an E IBSS meeting about you yesterday." Maya says.
Riley looks down at the floor.
"So you are acting unusual because of me." Maya says, also looking down at the floor.
"What? No, Maya." Riley says. "I'm just... I don't know, I guess I'm just very disappointed with myself." She says causing Maya to furrow her eyebrows.
"Why?" Maya asks.
"These past years my emotions have been all over the place. Lucas, Charlie, you. And I haven't known who I wanted or what I wanted to be with them a lot of the time." Riley says. "And now when I look back at it, I just wonder how they felt about it all. I kind of feel like I played them. And I'm ashamed of that" Riley says.
"Riley, I was wrong to say that. You can't steer your feelings, I'm sorry. But these past years you have just tried to do what you can to keep everyone happy and be on good terms with them. That's not shameful, that's admirable." Maya says making Riley smile. "I mean, look at me. When I told you how I felt about you..."
"You never really told me." Riley cuts her off.
"Let me finish." Maya says smiling. "When I told you how I felt about you, sure, I thought about how you would react but I never thought about how Lucas would feel if you liked me too and you broke up with him for me."
"But now, Lucas has Lauren." Riley says.
"And I have you." Maya says before she looks down on the floor.
"Why did you tell me you guys had an E IBSS meeting about me?" Riley asks her.
"They're telling your dad what's going on as we speak, Riley." Maya says and Riley nods. "But I told you because I don't want us to have any secrets anymore. Even if they're supposed to be secrets."
"Are christmas and birthday gifts exceptions?" Riley asks.
"Well, yeah..." Maya says smiling. "Anyway, no secrets?"
"No secrets. But why don't you want us to have any secrets?" Riley asks.
"Cus I'm sick of this." Maya says.
"The secrets?" Riley asks.
"No." Maya says. "The break. I wanna grab your hand and go somewhere and not let go of your hand. And it wouldn't matter where we went as long as we'd be there together. And then, if people asked why we're holding hands I'd tell them that you are my girlfriend." Maya says as Riley's smile widens more and more for every word, especially the last word. "But that is gonna have to wait." Maya then adds and Riley's smile falls down into a frown. "I'm sorry. I love you. But I can't do this anymore, the hiding. I gotta tell my mom about us. And then I think I'm going to leave."
"Leave?" Riley asks.
"Yeah. As in leave New York." Maya says. "My mom and Shawn aren't having a kid. They're having two."
"Wow..." Riley says.
"I'm gonna go from having been the only child for about 16 years to being the oldest of three kids." Maya says and takes a deep breath. "So I think I have to go now." Maya says.
"Now now?" Riley asks.
"Well, not in this instant. I'm going tomorrow." Maya says.
"Where?" Riley asks.
"I don't know." Maya answers.