27. A Matthews Breakfast

It's a friday morning and Cory, Topanga, Josh, Riley, Maya & Auggie are all sitting by the kitchen table eating breakfast.
"So what's up for today?" Josh asks.
"Well, tonight's game night." Auggie says.
"Yeah, and it's gonna be a big game night!" Riley continues.
"Why?" Josh asks furrowing his eyebrows.
"Some friends that I met in Miami are coming here today." Maya says.
"Oh." Josh says. "Well then, I wanna be the game host. I like being the game host." Josh says.
"Sure." Topanga says.
"Ooh! Why don't we play the couples game?" Riley asks.
"Why?" Maya asks.
"Well, Lauren is gonna be there. Lucas is gonna be there..." Riley says.
Maya does a not bad face while considering it.
"Okay, let's do it. It's not like we're still in a triangle with Lucas and we will get uncomfortable by the questions!" Maya says.
"We gotta make popcorn." Riley says and smirks.
"But why does Lucas have to be with, Lauren, was it?" Josh asks.
"Oh, well... When we were gonna tell Lucas about us, we decided to get him to fall for someone else so that he would want to end it too." Riley starts to explain.
"Well, that sounds; stupid." Josh says.
"It was. We set Lauren up to text him and pretend like she got the wrong number and we got them to keep texting. The plan actually worked, though." Maya continues.
"But, then Lauren had fallen for him too and when he told her he liked her she came clean about everything and he got super mad with all of us. He got mad with Farkle, Zay and Smackle. But even more mad with me and Maya." Riley says.
"But he's mostly mad with Lauren. He's still not talking to her." Maya ends.
"Wow. That's gonna be awkward. As the game host I will try and lighten the mood. But it's a tough challenge your giving me." Josh says and smiles.
Cory loudly breathes out with a frown on his face. Nobody reacts. He breathes out even louder and everybody looks at him in silence for a few seconds.
"What up?" Maya asks suddenly.
"It's summer." Cory says and looks troubled.
"Oh, yeah. Horrible life." Topanga sarcastically agrees.
"What's wrong with summer?" Josh asks.
"He's got no kids to put to sleep." Maya says.
Everybody except for Cory laughs slightly at her joke.
"For your information there was only three kids sleeping in one of my last classes this spring!" Cory responds with a proud smile.
"How many called in sick?" She asks and his smile turns back into a frown.
"A few..." He mumbles.
Ava comes in through the door suddenly.
"AVA MORGANSTEEEERN" She sings loudly.
"Oh, right, Ava and I can't come for game night tonight." Auggie says.
"Why not?" Topanga asks as she walks over to the door that Ava didn't close.
"We're going to a fancy restaurant." He replies.
"What?" Josh asks slightly impressed.
"You're going out alone?" Riley asks.
"You two do." Auggie responds.
"Well yeah, but I'm older than you." Riley says.
Auggie throws his hands in the air.
"Ava and I have been married for 52 years! You two have been together for, what, 2 months?!" Auggie asks.
"He does have a point, Riles." Maya says.
Topanga knocks at the door.
"What are you doing?" Ava asks curiously.
"Oh, I just wanted to see if it worked." Topanga answers hinting at the fact that Ava didn't knock. She closes the door. "Auggie, you and Ava can go to a restaurant, if, you go with me and your dad."
"What?" Cory asks widening his eyes visibly upset. "But tonight's game night! It's one of the few sources of happiness I have left after they took away..." He continues but Maya cuts him off.
"Boring kids to death?" Maya asks.
"You know, I thought you would have some respect for me now that I'm your father-in-law." Cory says.
Maya laughs. "Good one! But I already know I'm your favorite daughter-in-law. There's no need to pretend to be nice."
"She is my favorite daughter-in-law." Cory says to Topanga.
"Hey!" Ava objects.
"She's my favorite anything-in-law." Topanga responds.
"Hey!" Josh objects.