Chapter 3.

Lauren's POV

The whole day I had tried my best to keep to myself and just try to stay away from large groups in general, too afraid to be met with the angry girl that had almost killed me yesterday. I managed to successfully keep from any contact and keep my head down the whole time without being noticed. Classes were officially over and I was currently making my way into the locker room to change into my Softball uniform, which was given to me only as of yesterday.

I hum softly to myself as I push the doors open, making my way past the showers and into the far end of the room where a faded, blue locker was half opened. I place my duffel bag into the tight space and begin to strip from my uniform and jeans, leaving me in my undergarments. I begin to dress into my short-sleeve Jersey and straighten out the slightly wrinkled material, running my hand through my messy hair.

Once I have my knee high socks over my pants, I tie the laces to my cleats and adjust my hair under the navy and gold visor I wore over my head neatly. I carefully buttoned the buttons on my jersey and admired my uniform in a full body mirror hung on the wall, a content sigh leaving my lips.

I make my way out of the locker once I realize I have five minutes to get into the field before practice began. I jog towards the end of the field where the rest of the girls stood, calmly talking and laughing with each other. Some would politely wave or smile when I walked past, welcoming me into their team with no comments or rude remarks. I smile to myself once I'm on the other side with the rest of the girls, leaning against the gate and wondering why we were just chilling here.

My eyes wander over the large field, noticing how there was a small office in the far right corner next to the rusty bleachers. There are scattered food wrappers here and there, along with cups around the bleachers thrown into the grass like a personal trash can. I shake my head and squint into the office where no one stood, not even the coach of the team was anywhere in sight.

I was really confused.

"The coach is late, again." A voice mumbles next to me, the sound familiar from somewhere as I would never forget the raspy, sensual voice of a flirt. I turn around to meet a pair of bright brown eyes and my mouth goes dry, my breathe audibly hitching inside my throat. My slightly wide eyes quickly turn away from her and nod, trying my best to hide the coloring bruises on my face.

The cut in my lip is constantly bleeding out and the ring of bluish green under my eye is only worsening in color than before. There is also a long scratch running down from the corner of my lip to my jawline, most probably leaving a scab in a few days. Thankfully the large bruise on my rib wasn't visible under my attire, but even so, I looked terrible.

"I'm Dinah," The girl rasps out into a casual tone, her eyes set on my face but my eyes anywhere near her. I don't nod or spare her a single glance as the grip on the gate behind me tightens,

"I know who you are," My voice is barely audible, but is very hoarse and unintentionally sounding defensive and slightly angry but at this point, who the fuck can blame me? I swallow thickly when I hear her voice again, silently praying she would just walk away and leave me alone.

"You sound angry," She speaks, the girl now walking around me so she's on my left now. I raise an eyebrow, my eyes still set on the dirt beneath my feet. "You didn't sound this way yesterday,"

I feel my heart sink and the anger inside of me is hard to calm when the girl who knows nothing about me, walks over to remind me of what her own best friend did. I look up at her and my eyes meet her as narrowed as I possible can with the bruise under my eye, "What the hell do you want?"