Chaper 9.

Lauren's POV

The whole car ride home was silent.

The rest of the girls were out cold, barely able to keep to their eyes open. Lucy couldn't even look at me for some reason and she hadn't said a single world since she left the table back at D&B's, but I didn't want to question her. I was left sitting in the middle of the seats, staring down at my lap the throughout the whole ride while the boxer silently drove back home.

My father had called twice about an hour ago and I explained I'd be sleeping over at a friend's house tonight. That seemed to excite him, since the last time I had a friend was back in middle school where at least some people liked me. I almost chuckle at the thought. Ironic how the most popular girl in middle school is now the most hated person in High school. Things can change in the span of a year, I just didn't think it'd be this crucial.

I can't stop thinking about the look on Camila's face when Brad walked away from her. It was like she had completely realized that he was in fact right, that helping me and trying to be friends with me was all a joke. Popularity obviously meant a lot to her, and it was gonna take more than me to stop that.

"Had fun?" I hear Lucy mutter besides me, talking to me for the first time in the past few hours. I glance at my phone and raise an eyebrow, realizing how late it actually was after we watched that movie.

1:39am

It takes me a few seconds to respond, clearing my throat softly. "Yeah..."

There's this unusual gleam in her eyes and I can tell that she wants to say or ask something but she won't seem to look at me now. It's only when I grab her hand and tug gently is when her wide eyes meet mine, a tint of pink on her cheeks. "I don't get you."

"What?" I shake my head.

"Didn't you hate me a few weeks ago?" Lucy recalls. "And now I feel like you're just leading me on."

"I'm not." I quickly defend myself. "And I never hated you...not when you were always so kind to me after the locker room incident." I take a small glance at Camila and I can tell she's listening intently but her eyes are glued to the road. "I gave you a chance, because you were so genuine and sweet, I knew you didn't mean any harm. Every time I'm around you, I feel something different."

"Good, different?"

"Yeah," I smile. "Good. It's just, I don't know if I really want a relationship, especially one that I know can't end well under the circumstances. I want to trust that you're the right person for me..."

Lucy looks down at her lap and I can see that she's genuinely thinking about it. I bite my lip and I can see the way her lips quirk up for a split second and her eyes meet mine again. "I really do like you."

"I know, Lucy." I smile warmly, feeling my cheeks burn and heart speed up.

"This is the part where you ask her out..." Camila clears her throats and her eyes meet mine for a split second before turning towards Lucy. My eyes grow wide and I keep my mouth shut, turning to the equally shocked girl next to me. "Go on."

My heart jumps.

"No way." I shake my head. "This is the least romantic thing I've done in my entire life."

"Bummer," Lucy breathes out, staring at Camila with a frustrated look in her dark eyes. I smile softly to myself and look down at my lap with a small sigh of my own, trying my best to come up with something else to talk about.

I needed time to think about this whole relationship with Lucy. I just didn't really know how to admit to her that I actually did like her a bit. I lean back until my head is pressed up against the soft, leather head rest. I knew, even from before the locker room that Lucy was different. I can't forget about the day she humiliated me in that locker room, I will never forget that even if I did forgive her. She was just a small fish in a sea of sharks trying to fit in without being eaten alive. I understood that, I was one of them.