Chapter 11.

Lauren's POV

I've done enough thinking to realize that I've gone through nothing compared to what that little girl went through five years ago, everything I did to break her spirit. Every inch of my body hurts and I feel so used and worthless that I want nothing more than to hide from everyone and everything and never come back. It's hard to admit that sometimes people can be cruel, people can hurt you, and it's the sad truth that no one will care if you step up to speak up.

The stain on my hand is what continues to make me sick, the wine red shade feeling thick and sticky on the palm of my hand. I don't bother to wipe the tears from my cheeks, followed by the amount of blood running down one side of my face while some pools around my lips and chin. It's difficult for me to realize that this isn't some tragic movie of some depressed girl...this was actually happening to me.

My eyes trail over the night sky above the car, so silent and dark that it's peacefully scary. The strange thing about tonight is that it's like no other. The stars weren't bright enough or as vibrant as the sky would offer during any other night, the dark sky consumed each like an approaching, silent killer. The moon hung bright and huge among the emptiness and darkness of the gloomy sky.

"Will you call your father?" Lucy whispers from in front of me, turning her head to look into my eyes from the front seat. I don't meet her eyes right away because I'm too embarrassed to even look at her right now, fearing I look terrible from all this crying. I don't trust my voice, so I remain silent, eyes still glued to the window next to me.

I hadn't called my parents, I hadn't told them I would be out tonight. Both men were finally happy that I trusted my friends enough to spend so much time when them, and even spend nights. Yet here I was, wondering why I agreed to this bullshit in the first place. Did they think I was safe? Were they wondering about me, and whether or not I was asleep?

"Please call them," The girl whispers so gently that it almost sounds like she's not trying to frighten or anger me. My eyes finally meet hers and I can see how irritated her eyes are, glassy as they stare into mine with such intensity I almost feel like I can cry again. I sigh softly and glance down at my phone to see that it's past ten, half an hour until the time strikes eleven at night.

"I can't," My voice breaks, clearing my throat after a few seconds to keep from sounding weak. "If I hear my dad's voice...or my father, who I barely ever fucking see at home...I just--I'm gonna break down. My father thinks I'm fine...he's always so busy with work I don't want him to worry. I can't, Lucy..."

Those big brown eyes stare into mine and I can see the frown on her lip, along with that silent scowl that lets me know she isn't going to let me sit here and whine. I see her reach over and take my phone, unlocking it with the correct passcode before smiling up at me softly. I can't help but feel my own lips twitch upwards, but not enough to actually smile.

It takes a few seconds for her to bring the phone to her ear, the small girl taking a deep breath before running a hand through her hair. "Hello? Sir, yes."

I bite my lip, somewhat nervously.

"It's Lucy Vives, sir. Yes. I'm fine, sir, thank you. No, I just wanted to call to let you know Lauren's fast asleep, she was extremely tired." There's small smile over her lips and it takes her a whole five seconds to speak again after my dad responds. "I figured you'd want to know since she forgot to give you a call. I'm sure she did, I'll let her know. I'll tell her in the morning. Yes, of course. Anytime...okay, I will. Good night."

I watch silently as she slowly brings the phone down from her ear, hanging up before handing me the phone. I grab the phone from her hand and I look away from her again, not wanting to talk to her anymore, either. I just wanted to be alone.