Chapter 4.

Lauren's POV

I knew it was wrong, what I did.

I should have come right home when school was over, but I didn't. I stayed in school, making up work I knew I hadn't finished because I had fallen asleep the entire day. It wasn't my fault, I couldn't help it. My mom and dad were fighting again and this time it lasted until midnight.

I didn't want to fail any of my classes, but if I didn't come home after school I'd be beaten again. At this point it didn't matter. It was done. I had been an hour late from school but they didn't bother looking for me because I had no where else to go. The most they could do is wait for me on the front porch and beat me there and then for 'misbehaving'.

I grip tightly onto the loose straps of my small backpack, swallowing away all the fear that was beginning to poke at me as I got closer to my home. I take a deep breathe when I spot the familiar brick colored house only a few houses away, running a hand through my damp hair. My heart was already accelerating quickly and my palms were beginning to moisten, it was completely unhealthy.

"Just calm down," I scowl at myself, not realizing how pathetic I sound as I beat the porch. I shakily reach into my pocket to grab the wad of keys that held an opening for every door inside the small home. "Tell the truth..."

There's a small pause and silence when the door opens, just the quiet creak of the rusty nails holding the door to the edge of the scraped wall. My heart seems to stop when I take a step into the house, hearing small shuffling from across the hall where their room was.

"Mike, call the police, she's missing!"

"Why are you so scared? This is a good thing! For all we know, she must have been taken or something."

"She's my daughter!"

"That she-male doesn't deserve the position of a daughter."

I feel my chest tighten. I whisper to myself, "You don't deserve the position of being a father."

I look down at the scratched watch on my wrist and sigh to myself, realizing it's been about three hours after school and they didn't even bother to look for me. I walk over to my room, which was closest to theirs and try to listen in on them as they continue to argue like every other day.

"Well she'll continue to remain my daughter and I won't rest until I find her. Now let me go, I won't ask you once more. You've kept me here for the past house now let me go!" I hear struggle in her voice and I know she's fighting him physically now.

"Don't you dare go out and look for that mistake!" I hear my father slur and I know he's been drinking. I feel my heart begin to ache and I place a hand over my chest, trying to calm my breathing which was now becoming irregular. "If you move one more muscle, you'll regret it."

"Let go of me, or I'll call the police!"

"Clara stop! I won't let you go out to look for her. She's better dead somewhere on the streets than me killing her myself. Do you want that?"

"Don't you dare hurt her! She's my daughter and I love her. I don't care what she has or who you think she is, a mother will always love their child. No get off of me!"

At that moment, I seem to take a double take at the door that was locked securely. I had felt my heart tighten and my eyes widen. My lips were parted open and my brain couldn't seemed to process the word I had only heard of in a school book.

Love.

My mother loved me. My mother actually loved me.

I blink away the memory of around a year and a half ago and swallow hard, not realizing I had been crying until I can see the ink on my paper blur in wet stains. I reach up to wipe the remainder of tears on my cheeks and sniff softly, not understand why it was hurting me so much.