Chapter 18.

Camila's POV

I lean patiently against the ceramic, tiled walls of our school bathroom, rubbing my temple slowly when I continue to hear more of Lucy's bickering. Lauren stood on the other side by the stalls, and her gaze reads anything but patient. I can see the frustration swirling through her emerald eyes and she continues to look anywhere else but Lucy's direction for some reason.

I'm nearly a hundred percent sure all three of us are late to class, but Lucy doesn't seem to mind. It had been almost fifteen minutes since Lauren and I explained to Lucy the rumors currently fluctuating around this pathetic excuse of a high school. She was having none of it.

"Do you know how stupid both of you are making me look?" She nearly whispers, shaking her head. I smirk quietly and shake my head, partly understanding why she was upset. "This isn't funny, Camila."

"Listen," I try to sound as gentle and as understanding as possible, hiding my humor. I clasp my hands together and I don't even know what to say right away except what I've been trying to explain for the past few minutes. "This was our only option—"

"No...it was not." Lucy turns to look at Lauren, disappointed. "You couldn't have told me to tell the entire school instead? It makes sense, I'm her girlfriend for crying out loud. This just makes Lauren look like a cheater, it makes you look like a backstabbing bitch, and it makes me look like an idiot and a dumbass. Not only that, but you've completely rid my chances of ever being affectionate or close to my girlfriend at school, ever again."

"That," I pause. "Is quite the exaggeration."

Lucy sighs and Lauren smiles. I laugh silently, enjoying my best friend's frustration. "Camila, I understand that your intentions were nothing but good. And I completely understand why it is you'd like to keep your secret private, Lauren, trust me I do. I just don't see why telling the entire school you both had sex will do anything but make you two a joke. You dead ass hated each other two months ago, and now you're fuck buddies, according to half the school's population."

Lauren and I glance at each other silently, her cheeks flushing red at the sound of cheating. I quickly look away and sigh, "I understand, and I'm sorry. But would anyone believe you if you had simply said Lauren did not have a penis? Your word over Quinns? You're her girlfriend, everyone else expects you to defend Lauren. Who in the living fuck would imagine I'd protect Lauren over Quinn? Who? It only makes sense if I'm the one to break the silence and to shut that rumor up. And the only way I could was by saying I slept with her..."

Lucy shakes her head, understandably upset.

"I'm sorry, love..." Lauren's hand reaches for Lucy's. "It had to be done. People need to think Camila and I are together instead. Do you know what harm could come my way if hundreds of people knew I--"

"I know," Lucy sighs. "I know..."

I resist the urge to shake my head when Lauren rubs Lucy's cheek gently, in an attempt to calm the angered girl. Lucy doesn't relax right away or offer her even the tiniest smile. She simply gives Lauren a lazy kiss on the cheek and steps out, disappointment still prominent on her features. I watch in shock as she pushes the door aggressively and walks off, her soccer cleats echoing through the empty halls. She's definitely going to be distracted during her game.

The bathroom door closes behind her and Lauren stands there, sighing defeatedly and leaning against the stalls. "I can tell this upset her more than we originally thought. This is all my fault..."

I scoff, "She's being inconsiderate. That's your secret. And we need to make sure it doesn't reach anyone else, so why is she thinking so selfishly? It's just during school, she can get her precious cuddles after school or some shit."