Chapter One

From the very moment she had stepped foot on the dry, honey colored ground of Bendal, she had known the importance of this experience. She had specifically sought out Doctors Without Borders. She had worked meticulously on her application, she had gone through a series of interviews, signed the contracts, received the vaccinations; all with the knowledge that this journey would be one of the most impactful of her life. And she was ready for that.

She needed that.

She had wanted to leave, to escape all that had happened at home; wanted to be as far away from her life as she could possibly be. And this, this warm, rural countryside of Bendal was exactly that. Though, when Madeline "Maddie" Forrester had taken this position, less than a year after finishing her PhD in Child Psychology, she had never imagined the unexpected road this journey would take her down; or who would be on that road by her side.

Ten months into her year-long contract, Maddie had become a part of the community. Though her blonde hair, pale skin, and "American accent" had initially caused her to be the center of discussion and a fair amount of curiosity among the children, her unassuming position and sweet personality had won over the community leaders she worked with and the children she served. They had accepted her as one of theirs and she felt more at home with them than she had in her own home just before she had left the states.

Later in life when she would remember that morning, she would remember that it had been unseasonably warm. She woke to find the heat already invading the small flat she shared with Ella, a nurse out of the Ireland office. Ella had grown up in Dublin and had wanted to see the world. She was bubbly and bright and an instant friend to Maddie. This particular morning was the start of a big day in the community. Despite the recently growing violence among two long-feuding tribal sects, leaders in the small, rural area were coming together to open what Maddie would call a Food Bank; a Co-op of sorts where people could come together and trade, barter or exchange services for goods. Though it was a local initiative, it had backing from big names across the country and through outside charitable organizations. Just the night before Maddie had listened loosely as Ella had, for the fifth time that week, listed off a multitude of famous names involved with such groups. Though Maddie had very little interest in such things, she would smile and nod—because Ella loved it and she loved Ella.

Maddie was excited for the Food Bank. It was something that brought purpose to the community; a sense of identity and unity. Many of the children she worked with were working to prepare for the Grand Opening that afternoon and the confidence she saw in them as they worked was priceless. Pulling on a loose pair of Bermuda shorts, a t-shirt, sunglasses and sturdy sandals, she tied her hair back in a curly mess of a ponytail and set out for the building that would house the food bank. There was still much work to be done.

When she arrived, she was pointed to a truck loaded with boxes that needed to be moved from the truck to the building. Hopping up onto the trailer of the truck, she went straight to work. About midway through, she heard a voice call up to her from over the side of the trailer. She smiled down at a man; late twenties, tall; dressed casually with a ball cap on to shield his eyes. He must be new; she thought. Maybe he was with the Peace Corps or here on a Gap Year excursion. Taking a moment to pause from her work, she leaned against the side of the truck and called down to him.

"You look a little lost." She watched as he looked around for a second before turning his head up to see her.

"I suppose that I am," he grinned. "Do you think you might be able to point me in the right direction?"

"Well, if you're here to help, I have a whole truck full of boxes that need to be moved inside." She gestured behind her. "Think you can handle some heavy lifting?" There was a moment, a tiny brief moment where he seemed slightly startled; confused. But he recovered quickly and nodded.