Chapter 62

Saying good-bye to Khenda and Collins was a cluster of emotions. Though she hated the thought of leaving behind anyone she cared about in such a shattered place, Maddie was simply unable to hide the wholeness that came with returning to Harry's side.

"Any chance we could convince you to stay?" Collins teased; hugging her close after they unloaded at the airport.

"Not one single chance." Her voice was clear, firm; steady. "I am getting on that plane and I am going straight to him."

"Good answer," he grinned; kissing her cheeks. "We love you Doc."

"I love you too," she kissed him back. "Take care of Mama and baby, okay."

"No doubt," he smiled wide; already enamored with his growing family. Maddie moved to hug Khenda while Ella stepped into Collins' arms.

"You really should think about France," Maddie spoke into Khenda's ear. "Go where Collins goes, remember?"

"Ha!" Khenda laughed; recalling the time she sent Maddie away with similar advice.

"It also doesn't hurt that you would be miles closer to me."

"Yes, well, we'll keep you updated."

"Thank you," Maddie sighed as she stepped away from them. It was time to leave Bendal yet again. She couldn't help but notice that, as she took Ella's hand and moved towards the terminal, towards the plane...this time, when leaving Bendal, she felt not like she was leaving her home, but that she was on her way back to it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I am unbelievably excited," Ella clapped her hands together as their descent into London began. The flight attendants had done their final check and were seated; they were almost there. "It's ridiculous really because I don't even know if Matt's going to pick me up or if I'm going to take a cab or..."

"You're not going to take a cab," Maddie rolled her eyes as she watched through the window as the ground grew closer and closer. She turned to Ella with a smirk on her face. "You really think Harry and I leave you at the airport to catch a cab?"

"No?" Ella raised her eyebrows.

"No." Maddie reached out to take her hand; inhaling deep, exhaling slowly.

"Nervous?" Ella nudged her lightly.

"A little."

"Why?" Ella's voice lowered; reading genuine anxiety in her friend's eyes.

"I don't know," Maddie sighed. "Maybe it's because I haven't seen him in two weeks. Maybe it's because when I talked to him on the phone after the quake all either of us did was cry..." She blinked back tears as she remembered. "Maybe I'm nervous he's going to see the bruises I have on my arms and freak out. Or it could be because I have this new, strange, glue-like attachment to him ...I don't know." Ella chuckled. "I don't know. It's just...when Collins pulled me out of the...pile, all I could think about was him. It was a bit unsettling, but I just wanted to be next to him; close to him. I wanted him to leave London and fly to Bendal to get me."

"I'm sure he would have," Ella laughed. "Did you ask?"

"No," Maddie shook her head. "Because he would have. He would have come down there and taken me home." It was such an outlandish thing to say, but Maddie was beyond convinced that she was right. Harry wouldn't think twice.

"Wow...see..." Ella leaned back in her seat. "That's the guy you marry. The one who will fly to a poverty stricken, twice shaken country at the drop of a hat, just to bring you home. That is the guy."

"That is the guy," Maddie agreed. Her eyes turned to the window as the plane bumped to the ground and came to a screeching halt. It wasn't long before the plane was navigated to the gate, the seatbelt light flashing off and people were rising from their seats.