Chapter Six

Doctor Stevenson was leaving. His time in Bendal was coming to a close. And, as was customary, Khenda and Collins were hosting a party to say good-bye. The entire Doctors Without Borders crew had been invited. Maddie and Ella, with levity in their hearts, were excited to cut loose with their coworkers and enjoy an evening full of food and conversation.

"I heard you were chatting up the Prince last night," Ella grinned as she sat in the bar stool next to Maddie while Collins stood at the bar and chopped up some vegetables to snack on. A few people had already arrived and were mingling.

"Please," Maddie snickered.

"It's true," Collins nodded with a knowing smile. "Just before we pulled him out to dance, he was deep in conversation with the Doc."

"I knew it!" Ella and Collins shared a laugh at Maddie's expense.

"Enough," Maddie reached across the bar and refilled her drink. "You are all reading way too much into nothing."

"Mmm Hmm." Collins wasn't deterred. He knew what he had seen the night before.

"How was the Prince today Maddie?" Ella continued to poke.

"I actually have no idea. I haven't seen him all day." She popped a piece of fruit into her mouth. "So there."

"Yeah, well. That's about to change." Collins finished the veggies and placed the tray on the counter with a flourish.

"Wait. What?" Maddie seemed slightly panicked.

"Khenda invited him over tonight. He was in the city all day but..."

"KHENDA!"

"Maybe I wasn't supposed to tell you that." Collins winked at Ella and sat back; waiting to watch it all unfold.

"KHENDA!"

"What?!" Khenda poked her head into the room with confusion. Seeing the look on Maddie's face, she knew instantly what the screaming was about. "Now. Before you start yelling...remember, I am your boss."

"Not here you're not!" Maddie called out.

"Okay now listen...."

"No! This is...a private party. This is for DWB personnel. This is NOT a chance for you all to play matchmaker and..."

"Now come on," Khenda laughed, moving slowly towards her. "We've invited civilians before. I have known Harry forever and...he's the Prince for goodness sake."

"Khenda..." Even Maddie hated the whine in her voice.

"And so what if I have happened to notice that you have eyes for each other?"

"Not true!" Maddie exclaimed while her three friends laughed at her response.

"Madeline," Khenda sighed. "You are, by most standards, a genius. Why do you insist on keeping your head in the sand about this?"

"And what exactly are you hung up on, Doc?" Collins wrapped an arm loosely around Khenda's shoulders. "He seems like a nice guy. He's smart, funny. He's not...terrible to look at." He shrugged. "Why are you trying so hard to avoid that?"

"What is it you people would like me to do?" Maddie crossed her arms. "He is only here for a few more days! He lives in London and I...on my best days I live here. Otherwise I am in the states! A relationship would never work out. It just wouldn't."

"Hold on..." Ella spoke up. "I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. I'm not talking about making a relationship work out."

"Oh!" Maddie laughed. "So you're saying I should just have a one night stand with the Prince."