Chapter 173

"So..." Kate's words were directed at Maddie though her smile and her eyes were focused on Lilli who laid wide awake and smiling in her lap. "When are you leaving for the states?"

"Thursday," Maddie smile as she watched the two of them. Sitting in the gardens at Kensington while Arthur played, the two of them were catching up and enjoying the fresh air of Spring. "There's a pinning ceremony for the new nurses on Friday and Graduation on Saturday." A deep pride was evident in her eyes and in her voice as she spoke of her mother's upcoming graduation.

"Are you ready to go see your grandma, Lilli?" Kate spoke to the happy little girl staring up at her. "I bet grandma is ready to see you again."

"No joke," Maddie laughed, watching Arthur as he toddled around, scooping up a toy, inspecting it and tossing it back to the ground as though he were looking for one in particular. "She's been trying to talk us into coming earlier."

"You can't?"

"No," Maddie shook her head. "Harry has a few meetings this week and on Tuesday we're going up to Norfolk to look at another place."

"Norfolk?" Kate's smile widened. "Really?"

"Mmm," Maddie nodded with a matching smile.

"It would be wonderful if you had a place in Norfolk," Kate sighed, looking from her niece to her son and back again. "Convenient and wonderful."

"Yes," Maddie laughed. "Well, it would be wonderful if we could just find a place."

"You've been looking a long time."

"We have," she sighed with a shrug, leaning back and planting her hands in the grass. "Just this last week we've looked at six or seven..."

"I know," Kate's smirk turned less amused. "I've seen the pictures."

"Ugh," Maddie groaned thinking of the cameras they'd had following them on a few outings. "It's been a little much recently. I'm not sure what exactly it is they're wanting..."

"No?" Kate lifted one well-manicured eyebrow. "The paps were heavier for us right after Arthur was born. I think maybe they want a new picture of little Lilli here..."

"Ah..." Maddie's smile slipped soft as her head tipped to the side, looking over at her daughter. "Well she is quite beautiful." The last photos of Lilli had been the family picture they had released and that had been a little while. With the Christening still coming after their trip to Colorado, she supposed Kate was right. They were looking for new pics of Lilli..

"She is," Kate nodded happily, making sweet faces at the baby. "And I'm sure they want to see you too. It's been awhile..."

"I suppose it has," Maddie sighed again, helpless against the way their lives were.

"When are you coming back out?"

"After we return from the states," she explained. "Trooping the Color, The Ascot...polo..." She couldn't help the smile that tugged at her lips as the image of Harry riding entered her mind. "We'll ease back in with those and then hit it hard again; some stuff with The Prince's Trust...Bendal..."

"Well, at least you get some good quality down time with your family before it starts up again."

"Yes," Maddie nodded, excited for their trip.

"And...hopefully...before that you'll find a place in Norfolk. So Little Miss Lilli can be closer to her Aunt Kate. Wouldn't that be wonderful?" She cooed down at the baby who happily cooed back. "Yes. Yes it would!"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The nice spring weather had held out for their trip to Norfolk. As Harry drove them further from London, Maddie sat in the passenger seat, watching with an easy smile as the sun shone through the ruffled leaves on the trees, as it highlighted the large, sprawling grassy hills they passed.

"We're almost there," he glanced over to her, his eyes shaded behind his sunglasses.

"Mmm," Maddie smiled to him, content to watch the countryside pass, content with the peaceful silence that surrounded them. This really was the first time they had spent this much time away from Lilli and as much as she loved their daughter, it felt good to have an afternoon where Harry was just hers again. "Now you said it was Thomas who told you about the place?"

"It was," Harry nodded, his eyes shifting back to the road as he took a slow turn. "Old family friends," he explained. "Apparently when she agreed to raise their family in the country, he agreed that when they retired, they would sell the house and buy a sailboat."

"They're going to sail?" Maddie lifted her eyebrows.

"Around the world," Harry answered, slowing down as he reached the entrance; there among the trees that lined the road, was a tall brick and wrought iron gate. It was clearly old but well kept and stood tall and steady as they drove through it onto the private drive.

"Oh wow..." Maddie's mouth fell open as she leaned forward, pulling her sunglasses up to her head in order to get a better look. As they drove further into the property, she was in awe of how beautiful it was. Acres of sprawling land, scattered with large, old trees that had been there for centuries she guessed. There was a ribbon of water running through the land, the trickling blue cutting into the deep green.

"There's a carriage house up front and a lake around behind the house," Harry's arm moved in front of her, pointing out her window. Maddie turned to look as they crested a hill and her eyes grew wide.

"My God...Harry...the house..." She shook her head, her smile softening. The house was beautiful; large and opulent, no doubt. But understated and...beautiful. She knew right away that Kyle would have something to say about the architecture, and Charles would have something to say about the landscaping.

"There are barns in the back," Harry continued to tell her what he knew as they drove closer and closer. "Plenty of large trees to build treehouses and forts and such..." Maddie sighed as her smile deepened, reaching to roll down the window. "There's room for a garden, or delphinium if you'd like," he turned to look at her, catching her with her head half out the window, her eyes closed as she breathed it all in. "Or...corn."

"Corn?" Her eyes opened, confusion twisting up her brow. "Did you just say corn?"

"Checking to see if you're listening," he grinned across the car. "You like it don't you."

"I like the way the air feels in my lungs," she sighed, settling back into her seat as he pulled the car up to the house and put it in park. "Let's just hope they haven't 'updated' it too far into the future."

"Come on," he nodded his head towards the house. "Let's go see."

By the time Harry rounded the car, Maddie was out. With her sunglasses back on her eyes and her hand held up to help with the shade, she took it all in. She looked as far as she could see, taking in the trees and the water and the long grass. She took in long, slow deep breaths of the fresh crisp air as she brought her gaze closer; the long drive, the trees that lined it, the wildflowers that had barely begun to sprout up. And when she turned to face him, the sun was bouncing off his bright red hair, illuminating him with warmth.

"There are horse facilities..." He shrugged casually, taking slow easy steps towards her. "Just in case you were wondering. There's a tower at the end of the property for exploring..." His finger stretched out to tuck a wayward strand of her hair back behind her ear. "A pool..."

"A pool?" Maddie's eyebrows shot up, her smile slipping higher.

"Mmm," he nodded. "And a yard in the back for Lilli..."

"Room to plant a tree?" Maddie reached out to him, her hand running down his strong arm to his hand, tangling her fingers with his.

"Plenty," he squeezed her hand. With a light tug, he drew her with him towards the house. As Harry reached into his pocket for the keys, Maddie's eyes settled on a small engraved sign fixed to the house just next to the door. Her fingers ran over the letters.

"Is this what it's called?" She glanced back at Harry.

"Hmm?" He looked up to the sign and smiled, nodding. "It is."

"Foxgrove?" She thought about it for a minute, the way it sounded, the way it felt coming out of her mouth. "Foxgrove..." Harry chuckled at the look on her face, as though she were weighing the merits. "I like it."

"Good," he shook his head.

"Why do they call it Foxgrove? Do foxes live here?"

"I don't know," Harry shrugged, unlocking the door with ease. "Though I suppose they will if we move in..."

"Please," she rolled her eyes at her husband's stab at humor, shaking her head at him as he pushed open the door.

"Come on love," he reached for her hand. "Let's take a look around."

Together they stepped inside and a rush of warmth welcomed them. Maddie had never really been one to believe in love at first sight. Anytime somebody asked her if she had fallen in love with Harry the moment she met him, she would laugh and roll her eyes. It was absurd, to think that you could know at first glance.

But. Later in life, if she was asked about Foxgrove, about when she knew that was the place for them, if she were feeling honest, she would answer...that very first moment they stepped into the foyer.

It was a beautiful, immaculate home, one that had been preserved. One that had been restored. Though she was about to find out that the kitchen had been remodeled, bringing in state of the art appliances, though she was about to find out that the master bedroom already had a gigantic tub, though she was going to learn how easy it would be to install the same sort of room-to-room sound system they had at Kensington–it hadn't been updated into the future. It was still the same sort of tall elegance she imagined it had been the day it was built.

"It's...enormous," Maddie breathed the word, her eyes widening as she looked up at the tall ceiling above them, at the massive staircase in front of them.

Clearing his throat, Harry nodded and moved closer. "There are eight bedrooms and..."

"Eight!" Maddie's wide eyes turned up to him, the beginnings of a smirk pulling at her lips. "Wow...I mean...if we give each of the babies their own room, where would we sleep?"

A twinkle took over his eyes, his smile crinkling up the corners as he held her amused gaze for a moment. "You want to look a little closer?"

"I do," she nodded and stepped further into the house, ready to explore those eight bedrooms, ready to find the library, to sit in the large empty tub as she tried to goad Harry into joining her.

And, only after they had taken in the house from top to bottom, only after they had taken a long, slow walk on the grounds, only after Harry had turned to her with that charming, easy smile of his–only after he caught that satisfied look in her eyes did he ask.

"So...."

"So..." They were standing back where they had started, sunglasses back in place as the light shone down on them, igniting a new pattern on the land around them. "Can we afford it?" She glanced over at him.

"We can," he nodded easily, his feet shuffling on the gravel below them. "It's a better bargain than most of the places we've looked at, because of the lack of updates."

"I love the lack of updates," she nodded, turning her eyes back to the house, the land. And then, with a deep breath and a bite to her lower lip, she turned back to him. "I think we should make an offer."

"Yeah?" Harry's eyebrows rose softly, his smile pulling higher.

"Yeah," Maddie nodded, letting out a breath she had been holding. "I mean....I've been wanting a place to finally plant some corn."

"Ha!" Harry's hands clapped together as he laughed, as he moved in on her. Gathering her into his arms, he hugged her tight. "Do you really like it?"

"I love it," she hugged him back, feeling warm and safe and at home. Pulling back just enough so that she could look at his face, she asked, "and you? Do you like it?"

"I really, really do," he nodded quickly. And he looked so handsome, there in the slight wind, in the streaming sun. He looked warm and golden and certain.

"Good," Maddie leaned up to kiss him. "Then maybe you should make a call and make an offer..."

"I'll do it right now," he kissed her once more and let her go, pulling his phone from his pocket and heading back inside.

Maddie watched him step into the house, watched as he took the necessary steps to secure them this wonderful piece of the English countryside and then she turned back to look out at the land, to breathe the air and she hoped that someday soon, this would all be theirs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"So I'm thinking..." Harry's voice was low as he glanced to Maddie across the car. They had been peacefully quiet on their way out of Foxgrove, both of them settling into this new possibility.

"Yeah?" She let the corner of her mouth turn up in amusement, in a way that tinged on sarcasm.

"Yeah," his voice and his eyes narrowed at her for only a second before his hand reached out to hers. "We're not expected back in London for a bit, no?" He pulled her fingers over to him. "Greta and Lilli are set?"

"They are," Maddie nodded, studying the smile on his face, loving the way his fingers played with hers. "Why? What did you have in mind Captain?"

"A date," he dropped a kiss to the palm of her hand. "Maybe we stop off and have some lunch, a few drinks...do some shopping for our new home..."

"Shh..." Maddie pressed her fingertips to his lips, her eyes growing wide. "You don't know that, don't say that. You'll jinx us."

"Ha!" His head tipped back in laughter. "You don't believe in that."

"I don't not believe in it," she shook her head at him. "But, if I'm being honest, I am a bit hungry."

"Oh?" Harry's eyebrows lifted, warming at the thought of more alone time with his wife. "So you'll go out with me? To lunch and drinks?"

"And shopping," she reminded him with a gentle pinch to his side. "Yes. I think it sounds lovely."

"Fantastic." His other hand smacked the steering wheel happily.

"Do you know where to go out here or..."

"I think I do," he nodded with a smile. "I think I have just the place."

And he did. Navigating them off their course just a bit, he found a pub that fit his liking. Though their waitress did a double-take, blinking as she recognized the couple, she hid it well and showed them to a booth in the back. With a thank you and a smile, Maddie slid into the booth. With a nod of thanks, Harry slid in next to her. The waitress was back quickly with their drinks, hurrying off to put in their food order.

Harry, lifting his glass from the table, turned his smile to his wife. "To Foxgrove."

"To Foxgrove," Maddie agreed, her smile pulling hopeful.

"May the next owners be young and beautiful and witty..."

"I thought you wanted us to be the next owners," Maddie gave him a wink and clinked her glass to his. "May they be happy..."

"May they be that," he nodded, taking a long sip of the cool brew. With a deep breath and a sigh, Maddie did the same, sinking back into the booth, leaning in a little closer to him.

"Do you think they'll accept the offer?" Her eyes looked into her glass, her mind drifting back to the home they had toured, the land that she already, almost loved.

"I do," Harry nodded, his voice quiet. With a shrug, he stretched an arm around her shoulders and drew her to his side. "I think they want to sell the place. I think we made them a fair offer and...as hard as the words are on my lips....I think this might be a moment when who you are helps nudge things in our favor."

"Who I am?!" Maddie snickered, pressing her hand into her chest.

"Mmmm...." Harry spoke into his glass. "Nobody cares who I am anymore. Not since the wedding, certainly not since Lilli." His eyes lit up as he said her name, as his thoughts drifted to her, even as he scanned the place looking for the cameras that had been more present since his daughter had come into the world.

Though words of protest were on Maddie's lips, her mind drifted with Harry's and she let them go. "You know she's going to love Foxgrove; the land and the water and the treehouse you're going to build..."

"Hey..." He pressed a soft finger to her lips. "I thought we didn't want to jinx anything..."

Maddie's lips curled into a smile and then kissed his finger. "You're right. I'll wait. I'm just...excited is all."

"I know," Harry took a deep breath, his fingers smoothing over her cheek before his hand fell away from her. "I am too." He took a quick sip. "If it's any comfort at all, I think we'll have something of an answer before the end of the day."

Just then the waitress returned with their food and a soft smile for the both of them. As their attentions turned to their food, their focus shifted.

"Before I forget..." He swallowed and glanced over at her. "Thomas wanted a list of the Godparents we've selected so that he can have everything ready for the Christening when we get back from Colorado."

"Mmmm," Maddie nodded as she took another bite of her food; chewing, swallowing, and smiling up at him as she reached for her glass. "Well. I talked to Kyle and he's in. Did you talk to Peter?"

"I did," Harry nodded. "So that's it then. Kyle and Peter, Bishop and Ella..."

"And Collins," Maddie smiled, leaning back in her seat as she sipped at her drink. "Is it strange at all that we have four men and one woman?"

"Ha..." Harry chuckled. "Maybe. Maybe I'm surrounding my little girl with big, strong, intimidating men..."

Maddie snickered, her eyes rolling back as she nudged him. "Maybe you're crazy."

"Maybe," he grinned into his drink.

"Should we add another woman?" Maddie moved back to her food. "Make it a little more even?"

"We could," Harry shrugged. "We could add Amy or Autumn..."

"Or Kate," Maddie's eyebrows lifted moments before her eyes shifted over to him. "We could add Kate."

Harry turned to look at her, a sweet smile on his lips. "Kate?" His voice lifted up at the end.

"Yeah," Maddie grinned at the look on his face. "You know her? Tall, brunette, gorgeous. She's married to your brother, future Queen..."

"I know who you mean," His laughter settling into a sigh. "We don't have to have an even mix you know. It can stay the way it is...Do you want Kate to be Lilli's godmother?"

"You know, I think I do," Maddie nodded. "She's been an amazing support to me and she would be wonderful to Lilli, giving her great guidance and lots of love and...what about you? Would you be okay with Kate?"

"I would be more than okay with Kate," Harry nodded. "She would be a great influence for her."

"Plus, she's an incredibly strong woman and, when she wants to be, she is pretty intimidating," Maddie nudged him.

"Ha!" Harry clapped his hands together. "Yes she is."

"Do you think your brother would mind? If we asked her and not him?"

"Nah," Harry shook his head. "We can always give him one of the other seven."

Maddie nearly snorted at that, her hand muffling her laughter as she sighed, leaning closer to him. "So ambitious."

"Damn right," he winked.

Together they settled into silence, into their food; into thought. After a few more bites, a few more sips, Maddie turned her eyes up to him, resolved.

"I would like to add Kate to the list," her voice was soft and easy and certain. "If it's okay with you."

"Do you want to ask her or shall I?" He didn't even blink before answering, giving his consent.

"I would like to," Maddie nodded. "But will you talk to your brother though? To make sure it's fine?"

"Sure," he laughed. "It will be fine, but yes. I'll talk to him."

"Thank you," Maddie took another drink and settled back into the booth.

"No problem," Harry finished a bite, holding up a finger as something came to mind. "Oh! One more thing from Thomas. Collins is in for the Bendal trip."

"Really?!" Maddie's eyes went wide–almost as wide as her grin.

"Thomas confirmed it this morning," Harry nodded, pleased with the news himself.

"That's amazing," Maddie shook her head. "It's...it's fantastic. I'm glad they were able to make it happen."

"Me too," Harry agreed. "I can't think of anyone who deserves to be at the opening of the new Center than Collins. Christ, he dug through the rubble of the old one to pull you out..." He gulped at the memory, reaching for his drink.

"You're right," Maddie nodded, her fingers laying comfortingly on his arm. "He should be there."

Finishing off his drink, Harry sat the glass on the table and, with memory hazing over his eyes, he turned a sad smile to his wife. "I wish that she could be there." His voice was soft and laden with emotion.

"I know," Maddie whispered. "I wish that too."

There was a moment of silence as thoughts of Khenda filled the space between them. Then Harry took a deep breath and drew her closer to him, turning to press a kiss to her temple. "Maybe she will be."

Hugging her arms around him, Maddie nodded. "She will be."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maddie and Harry had finished their lunch, finished their dessert and were well into shopping the small stores when they discovered they were being followed. Harry saw them first, snapping away as Maddie browsed through an antique shop. With a steady hand on her waist and a sober nod, Harry let her know their new 'friends' had found them. With a small, tight smile, Maddie moved toward the back of the shop, away from the windows.

After paying for the items Maddie had picked out–a few old cookbooks and some antique postcards, they gathered their bags, slid on their sunglasses and stepped out into the flashes, heading for the car and promptly leaving their day in the country behind as they returned to London.

Much to both of their delights, their offer for Foxgrove was accepted before they had even returned to the city to sign the official paperwork. The couple had been ready to sell, ready to leave. And the fact that their place was going to the Duke and Duchess somehow made it better for them–just as Harry had guessed. So they agreed to the offer and the process to turn over ownership of Foxgrove began.

With a purchase in motion and Godmother Kate tearfully on board, Maddie and Harry prepared for the beginning of their summer and, first and foremost, their trip to the states.