Chapter 180

"You know..." Maddie smiled at him across the front seat of the car. "I'm not sure we could get any cheesier than this."

"Cheesier?" He lifted his eyebrows, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Fluffy," she offered with a shrug. "Romantic. Silly..."

"I catch the meaning," his hand landed softly on her knee, his thumb stroking over her skin. "But I'm not sure why you think it's silly."

"We're closing on Foxgrove today," Maddie inched a little closer to him, loving the feel of his skin on hers. "Signing the final papers, taking ownership, collecting keys..."

With a big laugh, Harry nodded. "I'm well aware of that. I made the appointment remember?"

"I do," she wrapped her fingers around his, leaning to place a kiss on his shoulder. "And you made the appointment for our anniversary..."

"Ah," he grinned.

"And you asked that the final signing be done on the property..." She glanced out the windows at the countryside.

"It's true," he shrugged, completely unashamed. "It seems you caught on to my little plan?"

"Lilli's with Greta and you packed a picnic basket?" She lifted her eyebrows, nodding towards the backseat. "The contents of which I'm still not sure of..." Leaning back, she stretched her hand out towards the basket, only to have him tug at her fingers, pulling her away.

"Now, now," he shook his head at her, gathering her hand into his and holding it tight. "I told you to stay out of there."

"Yes and we all know how well I listen to what I'm told."

"Come on my darling, can't a man woo his wife on their anniversary without getting into trouble for it?"

"You're not in trouble," Maddie shook her head, tucking her hand further into his. "I was just commenting on how..."

"Cheesy?" Harry chuckled, turning the car through the gated entrance and up the long drive.

"Romantic," Maddie eased up, her excitement at their upcoming acquisition getting the best of her. "It's very romantic Harry, to celebrate our anniversary this way; out here at this home where I hope we're going to spend years and years..."

"And years," Harry cut in with a grin and a kiss to her fingers.

"And years," Maddie finished with a nod. Biting her bottom lip, she turned her eyes towards the end of the road, towards the big house in the opening. And she felt the warmth and ease of home begin to settle in. Dropping his hand, she leaned forward in the car, her hands bracing on the dashboard in front of her. "Wow...would you look at it?" She glanced over at him. "It's so...beautiful in the way it sits there. Tall and...majestic almost."

"It's gorgeous," Harry agreed, driving them right up in front of the house before he put the car in park and turned off the ignition. "And so are you."

"Mmm..." Maddie smiled, blinking flirtatiously at him as she leaned to kiss him. "Come on Captain," she tugged lightly at his soft sweater. "Let's go buy ourselves a country home."

With a quick nod and one last kiss, they were pulling apart and stepping out of the car. Harry waited for her to round the car, taking her hand in his before they started up the walk to the house. They were greeted on the front step by their Real Estate agent, the tall smiling woman who had been handling this purchase for them.

"Good Morning Your Royal Highnesses," she dipped into a quick curtsey before stepping forward to kiss their cheeks.

"Good Morning Ms. Stern," Maddie smiled, taking a deep breath as Harry did the same.