Chapter 18

The next two days of Maddie's stay in Dublin went by painstakingly slow. Thankfully she was with Ella who provided nonstop entertainment and a crash course in Royal Family preparedness. She armed Maddie with protocol highpoints; when to curtsy and how, the appropriate way to address various members of Harry's family, and a few tips on appropriate attire at a variety of functions.

"How do you even know this?" Maddie had asked about midway through.

"I don't want to talk about it," Ella had dismissed the conversation while avoiding Maddie's eyes.

And they continued on. Maddie found herself torn; she wanted to stay with Ella—not wanting the time with her to come to an end, yet she wanted to run headstrong to Harry. Having waited for so long, having worked so hard to heal her arm, her body and her soul—she was ready. Ready to see him, ready to be with him; ready to move forward into wherever this journey took her.

So, when Harry suggested she bring Ella with, she nearly jumped for joy and hurriedly handed the phone to Ella so that Harry could do the asking. It was more appropriate for him to make the request and, Maddie was sure that if it were him instead of her, Ella would find it nearly impossible to refuse. She was right. Though Ella glared at her friend, she accepted Harry's invitation and began to pack her things. She would travel with Maddie to London, though she wouldn't stay long—certainly not after Maddie was released from wearing the sling—she had promised with a wink.

The flight to London was a short one. It was later in the night and there was relatively little turbulence and no upsets. Maddie had spoken to Harry just before they boarded the flight and he had told her there would be a car waiting for her and Ella when they arrived and that, finally, he would see her soon.

The plane landed safely and Maddie and Ella gathered their items and began the walk from the plane to the terminal; Maddie's excitement growing with every step.

They were half way down the jet way when it happened. Two girls, teenagers Maddie assumed, let out a loud squeal and came running back down the tunnel to another girl who was seemingly a friend of theirs.

"OHMYGOD!" One of them flailed her hands.

"Sara! You're not going to believe who's out there!" Though both girls were trying to keep their voices down, trying to remain inconspicuous, their excitement was clear.

"Who?!" People continued to file around them as they moved off to the side, fluffing their hair. The first girl pulled the friend close to her and, with wild, crazy eyes she said,

"Prince Harry."

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Nooooooooo."

It was then that Maddie turned to Ella, eyes wide as she forgot about the three girls and focused only on what was waiting for her at the end of the jet way.

"Wow. I wonder what Prince Harry is doing here?" Ella grinned sarcastically at her best friend.

"Oh God..." Maddie took a breath. "How do I look?"

"You?" Ella laughed. "How do I look?"

"Hey!" Maddie snapped her fingers at her friend. "I'm serious. You heard those...girls. He is standing out there and this could...oh wow, Ella. This could be it."

"It?" Ella bit her tongue as she tried not to laugh.

"When the whole world finds out," Maddie took a deep breath and Ella decided to let her jokes fall to the side. She reached out to smooth a wayward hair down, glanced at Maddie's face and turned her around to check for anything that might be tucked into the wrong place. And with a sincere smile she assured her friend,

"You look amazing."

"Thank you," Maddie smiled gratefully. And then, passing the three girls who continued to primp, she held her head high and continued towards the terminal; Ella standing proud by her side.

When they emerged, her eyes quickly scanned the busy airport; finding him instantly. He was standing off to the side; dressed casually and holding a small bouquet of flowers in his hand. And when he saw her, he stood taller, smiled wider and Maddie instantly felt silly for any of the doubts and anxiety she had felt as this moment had grown closer.

Though there were a few people who clearly recognized him, glancing his direction inconspicuously or nudging their travel mates and nodding towards him, Maddie didn't care. With a deep breath, she smiled and walked right up to him.

"Your highness," she smirked.

"Don't you dare curtsy to me right now," he smirked back, his eyes dancing as he spoke.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well, I was told that it was often customary when a lady flies in, for her boyfriend to pick her up at the airport. Was I misinformed?"

"Her boyfriend?" Maddie's eyebrows shot up.

"Well, you don't just casually date the Crown Prince now do you?"

"But you're not the Crown Prince," she glanced at the flowers in his hand, trying to ignore the onlookers.

"No I'm not," his grin widened. Noticing her moment of pause, he offered one last 'out'. Standing tall, he lowered his voice. "You sure you're ready for this?"

"A little late for that don't you think?" Her eyes were wide and...ready.

"Nah, I could hand these off to Ella, kiss her hello and we could leave you at the airport a free woman." He flashed Ella a suggestive smile.

"Ooooh. Let's go with that plan," Ella grinned; her heart soaring for her best friend.

"Watch it," Maddie warned them both and then, taking a breath, she stepped into his personal space; taking the flowers in her hand and placed a soft kiss to his lips. "And I am sure."

"Welcome to London," his voice was low against her ear as he hugged her close; his heart beating in his chest. He had waited so long for this moment.

"Thank you," she whispered back; inhaling his scent before pulling away.

"Ella," Harry turned to kiss her; first one cheek and then the other. "It's wonderful to see you."

"You too," she nodded. "Thank you for inviting me along."

"The more the merrier," he shrugged. In truth, he thought that having Ella there might ease some of the nervousness he thought might come along with what was about to happen. Of course, he enjoyed spending time with her as well; they had certainly bonded during those late nights next to Maddie's bed. But he genuinely thought it might be easier for Maddie to take in this version of his life that was new to her with Ella by her side. "Right this way," he nodded and pointed towards the exit of the terminal and towards baggage claim.

As they made their way through the airport, talking about the flight, about their travels, Maddie watched him closely; noticing tiny details she hadn't necessarily noticed before.

For instance, he was such a gentleman; it was almost an innate manner about him. He immediately took Maddie's carryon bag from her, despite the lovely purple shade. He stood to the side, allowing the two ladies to walk through doorways first; his hand often finding its way to the small of Maddie's back to lead in her in the right direction. He was attentive to Ella, making it a point to not make her feel like a third wheel. Once they reached their luggage, he loaded the cart and insisted on pushing it to the car that was waiting outside where the driver took over. He waited while Maddie and Ella situated themselves in the car, before climbing in behind them.

And he was sweet. He was unassuming; not once thinking he deserved precedence over anyone else. He didn't cut in front of people or expect special privileges. If it weren't for the security officer with him, Maddie wasn't sure if people would ever think he was the Prince. And, for those people who did a double take, thinking they might recognize him, he offered a small smile and a nod.

As the car pulled away from the curb, Maddie took a deep breath. This was it; the beginning. Though there was certainly not a mob of people and there was zero sign of the paparazzi, she was sure there were at least a few cellphone photos. Maddie smiled at Ella as Harry reached for her hand, his relief at finally having her there was evident to anyone who could see the look on his face. Sighing, she settled back into the seat, into him; ready for whatever happened next.