Chapter 37

Maddie's first two weeks at her job went by in a flash. It was great; hard work, long hours, but it was great. The staff was friendly, the children were fantastic and she felt like she had in essence returned to some of the work she had left in Bendal.

As Maddie fell into a routine, she and Harry evened out. On the nights that Maddie was on, they wouldn't see each other. She was working three back to back twelve hour shifts and her down time was hers—a stance he smartly decided not to challenge. Harry was busy as well; working and sometimes traveling for official functions.

When he was home and she was off, they would see each other and they relished those moments together; both if they were at home cooking dinner together or jetting off to night clubs with Harry's friends and Ella—dancing into the morning. They had become quite the circle.

And when Harry was gone, Maddie would occupy herself with a variety of interests. She helped Ella repaint her bedroom, shop for some new artwork and choose between two of the men she was thinking of pursuing. And Maddie knew exactly who to go to when she needed help preparing for an upcoming date with Harry.

"What do you know about polo?" Were the first words out of Maddie's mouth as she slid into a booth across from her friend at lunch one afternoon.

"Lots. Why?" Ella's smile pulled at her cheeks as she leaned closer to her friend. "Are you going to a polo match?"

"Harry is playing in a charity event in two weeks and he wants me to go. I watched a video on youtube about the rules, but I thought you could fill me on the other stuff."

"Oh God! I am so...unf... Polo players are unbelievably sexy—with their legs wrapped around the horses and their arms buff from swinging that stick and..." Ella coughed and sipped her water. "Sorry. Is it inappropriate for me to talk of your boyfriend that way?"

"Do you remember when we first met Harry and you scoffed at me calling him Harry? And now...you're going on about his toned arms and his muscular thighs...You've come so far."

"I said nothing about the thighs," Ella pointed out. "And if you want me to stop..."

"Oh no, continue." Maddie laughed at her best friend. "But seriously, when you say lots, do you mean more than just how sexy the players are?"

"Yes."

"Great! Think you can help me out? I'm American. We don't do polo. At least not where I'm from and I think it would behoove me to have a better understanding of it than say...how sexy my boyfriend's arms are."

"But they really are," Ella sighed dreamily. "Sorry. Serious. Yes. I can teach you the basics about polo."

"For real this time?" Maddie's eyes narrowed at her friend. "Not like when you explained the intricacies of rugby only so I would look like an absolute fool when I suggested that Harry..."

"For real this time," Ella laughed remembering that particular conversation. "Now. Let's start with the most important thing."

"You're going to tell me what to wear now, aren't you."

"I am going to tell you what to wear. Yes. See...you know me so well," the two women faded into laughter as the waitress came to their table to take their order.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ella had done her job as Maddie's friend and had, thankfully, prepared her quite well for her first Polo Match. When Harry picked her up that crisp Saturday morning, she felt ready to go.

"You look beautiful," he scanned her before leaning in to kiss her.

"Thank you," she smiled warmly. Reaching for her sweater and clutch, she followed Harry out to the waiting car. "Hold on. They let you drive?" She saw one protection officer in the back seat, the two front seats open.