Chapter 183

"Maddie..." Kyle groaned as he looked around them, his eyes squinting as the sunlight bounced off the rippling water that surround their little boat. "Want to tell me why in the hell we're out in the middle of a lake in the mountains?"

"I do," she nodded, giving the oars a few more heavy pushes.

"You know my wife is being discharged from the hospital in a matter of hours."

"Yes Kyle, I know that," she shot him a look, pulling the oars into the boat with them. "And you know that your wife asked me to get you out of the hospital, to help get the tense look off your forehead."

"She's just..." He took a breath, looking out at the view from the middle of the lake as his words drifted away from him. It was a beautiful day; sunny with the slightest breeze. It had been easy for the two of them to row out to the middle of the large lake nestled in the valley of the peaks that surrounded them. Maddie's security team had waited ashore and Kyle smiled as he looked over at them, at how small they seemed from where they were bobbing in the water.

"She's worried about you," Maddie's voice was soft.

"Yeah," Kyle nodded, swallowing at the lump in his throat, knowing Maddie was right. He had been so stir crazy, so worried about Amy and her recovery and how she was feeling that he had nearly driven her over the edge. Just before she kicked him out of her room, she had turned to Maddie and begged her to take Kyle out to the middle of nowhere and let him be crazy there. So there they were; in the middle of the lake. "Now what?" He looked to Maddie across the small boat. "We're in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of this lake all alone..."

"Easy," Maddie shrugged. "Now you scream."

"Scream?" His eyebrows shot up over the tops of his sunglasses. "Now I scream?"

"Yep," she nodded, her smile pulling higher on her cheeks. "Just as loud as you want."

"What do I scream?" He couldn't help but laugh at her words, at just how serious he knew she was.

"Whatever you want to."

"Just like that?" Something about it sounded freeing, something about it made him nervous.

"Mmmm." She kept her eyes on him. The smile on her lips, the open expression on her face--she meant what she was saying.

"I don't know if I..."

"You can." She cut him off, leaning forward, her hand closing over one of his. "Trust me Kyle, it will feel...amazing. We're out here all alone and...you can do it."

His hand patted over hers as he nodded, knowing that she wasn't going to let him out of the boat unless he did was she asked. "And?" He nodded his head to her. "You gonna scream with me?"

"Me?" She pressed her hand to her chest. "What would I have to scream about?"

"Are you kidding?" He laughed, loud and easy. "The pictures of you and Harry, the ones of...some lady's ass. Maybe the fact that Travis told the world that..."

"Yeah okay." She cut him off, her face hardening as the events in her own life refreshed in her mind. "Fine. I'll scream with you."

"On three?" Kyle smiled wider and Maddie nodded, clearing her throat as Kyle began to count. "One. Two. Three...."

With her head tipped back and her face lifting up to the sunny sky, Maddie's mouth opened wide and she let it all out.

A loud, high-pitched scream that echoed against the trees and the mountains, mingling with the deep pitch of Kyle's own release.