Chapter 163

Over the next few weeks of their lives, there were two big milestones in the Sussex family. As their baby continued to grow, their marriage continued to recover and their bond remained strong, steady. And as they descended into Sweden to attend what would become a beautiful, sentimental royal wedding, Maddie wasn't sure she had felt better than she did in that moment; physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Nestled into the backseat of the car that was taking them from the airport to their hotel for the wedding weekend, Maddie had an easy smile on her face as they passed through the city. It was sunny and warm outside and maybe it was her pregnancy hormones or maybe it was the way her heart seemed to swell sentimental whenever she thought about the wedding, but the city almost seemed to glisten—as though it knew that the weekend was special.

"You know I've never been to Stockholm before," Maddie sighed.

"I did not know that," Harry shook his head, amused at the look on her face as she watched the buildings fly by; intrigued by the architecture and the history. Pulling his phone from his pocket, he powered it up to check for any messages they had missed in the air.

"Well..." She sighed. "Did you know that Stockholm has nearly one hundred museums?" Her voice was light and easy, her eyes trained on the passing buildings. "Making it one of the most museum crowded cities in the world."

"No, I did not know that either," he chuckled with a shake of his head.

"The largest one has over sixteen thousand paintings..."

"Is that so?" He quickly checked for messages, scanning his email inbox with a swipe of his finger and a quick glance.

"And the Museum of Modern Art has work by Picasso and Salvador Dali." Her voice lifted at the end, as though she were impressed by this finding. Stuffing his phone back in his pocket, he turned a smile and his entire focus to her.

"Madeline, are you quoting the brochure to me right now?" His eyebrows lifted as he eyed her, as his fingers reached out for hers.

"Maybe," she turned a grin at him across the backseat, letting him take her hand. "It's beautiful here," she nodded her head towards the window. "Maybe we take a walk around before we leave? Slip into the Museum of Modern Art, take in a Picasso?"

"Maybe," Harry nodded, loving how at ease and happy she was. "We'll see if we can work it in before we go home."

"Perfect," her grin stretched further as they rounded the last corner onto the street in front of the hotel. "Whoa..." Maddie's thoughts pulled quickly away from a leisurely stroll and artwork and immediately focused on what was on display in front of her.

Across the street from the beautiful, elegant hotel they and many other royal guests would be staying in, was quite a sizable group of media members. There were swarms of people and a whole host of cameras poised at the ready. Her fingers pulled from his as she lifted her sunglasses up onto her head with a grin she couldn't quite help. "You know what's funny?"

"No," Harry shook his head, checking out the crowd that had gathered as their car slowed to a stop, his mind slipping towards protective mode. "What's funny?"

"With all the royalty that's going to be here this weekend—Kings and Queens—" Maddie shrugged. "Nobody is really going to care so much about us."

"Ha!" Harry's head tipped back in a loud laugh as the driver and Jim stepped from the car nearly the instant it stopped. "We'll see about that." As he slid his sunglasses on over his eyes, he shook his head, loving that after all of this time, after all of the media blitz she had already faced—she still liked to believe that people might not know her.

"What do you mean by that?" Maddie reached for her purse as her door was pulled open, Arthur having left his own car; waiting to fall in step behind her.

"Just watch," he grinned that wide, smirky smile of his and stepped out into the light Stockholm air. Looking out over the top of the car, he watched and he listened. And the moment his wife stepped into view, he could hear the crowd buzz, he could see the flashes from the cameras.

"Maddie! Maddie!" They screamed. "Harry! Harry!"

It wasn't just members of the international media waiting to catch a glimpse of the numerous royals who were descending on the city. In fact, there were local citizens and loyal fans eager to see their own favorite members of the various royal families invited to this extravagant weekend. And among them were several fans of his wife—just as he had suspected.

"Nobody cares?" Harry's voice was rich with amusement as he rounded the car to Maddie, his hand moving swiftly to the small of her back. "I'm pretty sure I saw an old Team Maddie shirt among the crowd."

"No!" She laughed, her head whipping around to look for herself. He was right—bringing a giggle from Maddie.

"What did I tell you?" He looked to where she looked, both of them offering smiles and quick waves as they began into the hotel; the crowd clamoring for their own pictorial evidence of the moment.

"Well, you never know," she shrugged with a smirk. "We're in Sweden, there's a very good chance they mean the other Maddie."

"Ha...well...there's always that." His hand moved up to her shoulder, firm and loving. "Come on. Let's get moved in before we have to get ready for the dinner tonight."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Hey Harry!" Maddie called from the bathroom as she put finishing touches on her makeup for the night. She was nearly ready, only having to step into her dress that hung in their bedroom where Harry had just finished tying his shoes and was reaching for his tuxedo coat. They were on their way to the pre-wedding gala dinner and it was black tie and star studded. And though Maddie was a little nervous, she tried to keep Kate's words and assurances in the back of her mind.

"Yes?" He glanced towards the open door as he pulled on his coat, straightening himself as he did.

"Would you do me a favor?" Her voice tipped sweet as she put the cap on her lip gloss and stepped away from the mirror, checking one more time.

"Of course." He knew that she knew that she didn't need the voice or the look he knew was in her eyes. He'd do anything she asked.

"You know the chocolate that was part of the gift basket they left us?" She could feel the cravings start just thinking about it. "Marabou, I think?"

"Yes," he chuckled as he remembered the way her eyes had lit up when she had tried some.

"Would you put a few pieces in your pocket for later?" She peeked around the door with a bright, sweet smile and wide eyes.

"Yes," he laughed, that was the look. Shaking his head, he moved from the room, right out to the table to do just as she asked.

"Thank you Captain!" She called after him as she stepped out into the bedroom and gathered her dress. Stepping into the beautiful, flowy fabric, she pulled at zippers and adjusted the straps, smoothing over her growing belly.

"You're welcome Mum," he called back, stashing a few small wrapped pieces into his pocket and straightening out his jacket before he returned to their bedroom. "Anything else I can...whoa..." His feet slowed to a stop, his smile fading into a warm, comfortable grin as he took her in. "Madeline..." His hand pressed to his chest, his eyes mooning over.

"You like the dress?" She looked up to him, her skin warming under his gaze.

"I do," he nodded as he moved closer, taking her outstretched hand to help her stand steady as she stepped into her shoes. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," she squeezed his fingers and stood tall. "This little bump gets harder and harder to mask."

"No masking necessary," Harry shook his head, his hands moving over her stomach in awe and reverence.

"It's getting so big," she watched as his hands rounded over her.

"Yes it is," he seemed mesmerized—in love really. "I love it."

"You do know I'm only going to get bigger." She looked up to watch his eyes, to catch his gaze.

"I know," his smile inched higher at the thought.

"And rounder."

"I know," his eyes flashed happy and bright as he looked up from her stomach, catching her watching him. "I know you think I'm feeding you a line but I love your big round belly," he leaned in to kiss her, his hand resting over their growing baby. "And when there's more, I'm only going to love it more."

"You say that now," she narrowed her eyes playfully, knowing that he knew that she was teasing.

"I do say that now," he nodded, leaning to kiss her again. "Okay Mum...it's about time to..." The sharp knock on the door finished his thoughts for him. "You ready?"

"Is there Marabou chocolate in your pockets?" She took his hand in hers as they began out of the bedroom.

"Absolutely," he nodded, holding tightly to her fingers.

"Then absolutely," she sighed. "I'm ready."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Mmmm..." Maddie sighed with a heavenly smile as she sank into the soft chair of their hotel suite. "I loooooooooooooooooove Sweden." She tossed her shoes aside and unwrapped a piece of chocolate as Harry locked their door and moved inside with her.

Smiling down at her as he laid his tuxedo jacket over the back of the couch, he loosened his tie. "I think maybe you looooooooooooooooooooooooooove Marabou chocolate."

"Maybe I do."

"Maybe."

"Do you think they would be willing to send up some more?"

"Mmm," he nodded, leaning down to kiss her. "If you tell them you like it, I would imagine they'll send up as much as you want."

"Hmmmmm....." She sighed, her eyes closing as she leaned back.

"Did you have a good time tonight?" He moved to sit on the ottoman in front of her, pulling her feet up into his lap.

"I did," she nodded, opening her eyes to look tiredly at him. "I spent a lot of time talking with Chris O'Neil."

"I saw that," his tone turned playful as he rubbed at the bottom of her feet, tossing a wink up at her. "I thought about reminding him which Maddie was his."

"Oh please," she rolled her eyes with a snicker. "We talked about New York...our favorite places to eat, that sort of thing."

"It's all food with you right now, isn't it."

"It really is," she grinned and wiggled her toes. "It was nice."

"I'm glad," he smiled, shifting his attentions to her other foot. "Also, I'll have you know, I've already received a text from Bishop about your picture."

"My picture?" She lifted her eyebrows.

"The selfie Madeleine took of the two of you..." He reminded her with a smile. "She posted it on twitter with the hashtag 'Two Royal Maddies'."

"Ha!" She clapped her hands together. "That's priceless."

"Your fans love it," he smoothed his hands up her calves. "Bishop included."

"He really has always been my number one fan."

"Number two," Harry's eyes narrowed. "I'm number one."

"Ah yes," she nodded, nudging him with her foot.

"Don't forget it," he moved then, leaning up to kiss her. "Come on Mum. Let's get to bed. Tomorrow's a big day."

With a happy sigh and a blissful smile, Maddie let Harry take her hand and pull her from her chair; taking her to bed with him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The wedding of Carl Phillip and Sofia was one that would sit with Maddie forever; the whole day had felt magical and special. From the very beginning, as they were dressing for the wedding, she could feel the slightest bit of fairy-tale haze slipping over their day. She laughed as she acknowledged it in her head, knowing she could never say it out loud. It was silly, she knew, but she sighed and let herself feel it. She had always found weddings to be just the slightest bit enchanting. And this one was going to be no different.

So she sat while Tara pinned up her hair, while she secured the beautiful, sparkling Teck Crescent tiara—so reminiscent of her wedding tiara—to her head. And she slipped into her gorgeous, beaded gown. And when she stepped from the room and caught her husband in the finishing touches of his uniform, she had to stifle a giggle. Maybe this day was a little more of a fairy tale than most.

"I hear you," Harry called out to her without turning to look. "I hear you laughing and I'm not entirely sure why..."

"It's nervous laughter Captain," she moved closer to him, her eyes sweeping appreciatively over his back side. "You're so sexy in that uniform..."

"Ha!" He laughed and turned around, adjusting his sleeves as he moved. When he caught her in his vision, he paused—the same hazy adoring look in his eyes that he had held the night before. With his hand over his heart, he smiled at her and took a breath. "Is it too much if I tell you that you look like a Princess?"

"Hmmm...." Her smile stretched high and wide. "No, it's not too much." Shaking her head, she moved her body closer to his, her hands reaching for his hips as she smiled up at him. "You look mighty handsome yourself."

"Thank you," he tipped his lips to hers. "Though this uniform does have one fatal flaw."

"Oh?" Her eyebrows shot up.

"No pockets," his lips turned to a frown. "No room for chocolate."

"Oh!" Maddie gasped, her eyes flashing wide. "Oh God."

"I know," he chuckled. "What are we going to do?"

"I don't know," she shook her head with a mix of a frown and a pout. "But you should stop laughing. This is a very real problem."

"I know it is," he leaned to kiss her, reminding himself to be careful of her makeup and her hair. "You know, maybe...if you ask nicely...you might be able to convince Arthur to carry some for you."

"Oh!" Her eyes flashed wide and excited. "I think he just might. You're a genius. He has always been my number one fan." With a swift pat to his ass, she turned and started towards the door.

"No!" Harry called out with a laugh, his head shaking as he reached for his hat and gloves and followed along. "I am your number one fan, Madeline. Me. Your husband. I'm at the top of the list."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ceremony was beautiful; simple and sweet and romantic and beautiful. More than once, Maddie found herself teary eyed. More than once her husband stroked at her fingers that he held in his hand, smiling sweetly as she blotted at tears. Her normal sentimental self had only been magnified by her pregnancy and as the newlyweds made their way back down the aisle, she was smiling ear to ear, sniffing at her tears. With love in his eyes, Harry leaned in to kiss the side of her head, his hand rubbing warmly up and down her back.

The day had begun with a magical feel—even if it was something that Maddie had dreamed up in her head. The enchanted feeling had passed into the afternoon with the touching vows and the sweet way Sofia and Carl Phillip were with each other. And then the charm flowed right into the evening. After a wonderful meal and a speech from the groom that brought the room to tears, the party began.

Kate had been right; the group was beyond welcoming with her. It was a bit surreal, if she stopped and took a step back to look at it all from the outside. She was swapping pregnancy stories with the Crown Princess of Sweden. She was laughing at hilarious tales from the Queen of the Netherlands. And she was in the beginning discussions with the Crown Princess of Denmark about joining a coalition on women's and girls' rights with several other high ranking royal members. If she took a step back, it seemed unreal; crazy and unbelievable. But as she sat in it, as she smiled and laughed and made mental notes about future projects, it was her life—this amazing, privileged life she lead. And it only added to the enchantment that surrounded her.

But above and beyond all of the magical moments of the day, was this one singular moment that served up the first of the major milestones Maddie and Harry would encounter. Long after dinner had been served, long after the toasts and the drinks and the two pieces of cake that she had eaten without reservation or shame, Harry had taken her hand in his and pulled her to the dance floor. And though her belly had grown and put more of her between them, he was still able to hold her close to him; pulling her tight as they swayed to the music.

"You know what I wish?" She smiled up at him as they moved.

"That you had more chocolate?" He winked down at her.

"Ha!" She laughed. "Well I always wish that."

"Of course," he nodded, gathering her closer. "What do you wish?"

"I wish that we had longer in Sweden," she sighed and nuzzled into his neck. "I wish we could stay just a few more days. I love the fresh air and the easiness..."

"Maybe we can," he shrugged his shoulders slightly. "Maybe we can stay another night?"

"Yeah?"

"Sure," he thought it over. "Maybe we fly back Monday afternoon instead of tomorrow. We can take in one of those museums you were telling me about..."

"A Picasso or a Dali..." She smiled as she remembered.

"Exactly," he chuckled. "I can call Thomas and see what we can do."

"Really?" Her excitement perked up at the notion.

"Absolutely," he nodded as the music slowed to an end. "I can go do it right now if you want me to."

"I would love that," Maddie warmed at the idea of another day in this beautiful town with nothing to do but exactly what they wanted. She followed him off the dance floor happily.

"I'll go do it now," he leaned in to kiss her; firs her lips, then her cheek, then her hand before he let go. "I'll be right back."

"Hey Captain?" She called out as he turned from her.

"Yes?" He glanced back.

"When you come back, would you bring me another piece of cake?"

"Ha!" He laughed heartily. "Yes. Absolutely."

"Thank you," she winked at him. "And thank you for not judging me."

"Never," he shook his head. "I'll be right back."

Maddie watched as he turned away, her hands smoothing over her stomach as she relished in the way she felt in that moment; happy and content and so, so blessed. And then she felt it.

"Oh..." Maddie's voice was more of a gasp; a sharp intake of breath that caused Harry's brow to crease as he stopped and looked back at her.

"Are you okay?" Looking at the way her eyes held wide, the way her fingers pressed to her open mouth, the way her other hand pressed to her stomach, he was back at her side in two long strides; his voice dropping. "Maddie, what is it? Are you..."

"Give me your..." Her words were strangled, the lump in her throat holding them in as she reached out to him. Taking his hand roughly in hers, she took a step toward him and pressed his palm to her stomach.

His eyes looked down at what she was doing, lifting back to her eyes as they seemed to take on a look of high concentration. "Maddie, I...."

"Shhh..." She shook her head, her eyes welling up just a bit as her other hand covered his mouth. "Just wait for a..."

And then it happened. He felt it.

Just under his fingers she had pressed against her, there was a bump; a rolling movement that lifted his fingers and cleared his mind of every single thing but this.

"Is that?" He looked up to her, tears in his eyes and in his throat; his eyebrows lifting in hope and expectation, just on the edge of bliss.

"He's moving," Maddie whispered, biting her lip to keep from crying, even as a smile stretched across her face. "That's our baby moving..."

"Oh my God," Harry was amazed, in awe, as he moved closer, as both of his hands spread out over her belly; oblivious to anything else that was occurring around them. Hell, the building could have burnt to the ground and he would still be standing there staring stupidly at the most amazing thing he had ever done—his wife and their baby. "Oh my God...Maddie..."

When it happened for the second time, his face lit up; eyes bright and shining, his grin wide and full of wonder. Maddie's hand moved from over his, reaching to stroke his cheek. "See...it was only a matter of time before we let you into our little club, Captain."

And just like that, the magic of the weekend grew and crashed like a wave over the two of them surrounding them from every single angle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Harry..." Maddie's voice was soft as she called out to him in the dark room.

"Hmmm?" He didn't move, didn't budge an inch from where he laid by her side.

They had left the wedding reception as soon as it was acceptable to do so, fielding the flashbulbs and calls from the group of people still gathered outside of their hotel. As soon as they had stepped into their room, shoes were cast aside and the tiara was locked away, and Harry's hands were back on her belly—the giddy grin back on his lips.

And there they lay on their bed in the dark, each of them in various stages of undress, neither of them wanting to part from the other for long enough to truly take off their formal wear. Maddie lay on her back with her head propped up on a pillow as Harry lay close next to her, his hand spread out over her stomach, prepared to wait all night for their baby to move again.

And it had—moved again. His patience and determination had been rewarded a handful of times, each of them bringing an ecstatic expression from him and an adoring sigh from her. It was such a special moment between them, something they had been waiting for and even as the night drew later and later, neither could be bothered to care too much.

"Do you still think it's a girl?" She whispered, watching him as he watched her stomach.

"Wow..." He breathed and shrugged his shoulders slightly. "I don't know. Is it too cliché to say that I just hope it has all of its toes and fingers and is...happy?"

"No," she shook her head, reaching out to stroke his cheek. "I don't think it's too cliché."

"Good," he smiled up at her, his eyes darting away from her stomach for a moment. "Do you? Still think it's a boy?"

"I do," she nodded with a grin. "I don't know what it is..."

"Mother's intuition," he offered. "I've heard it's quite reliable, so you're probably right." He looked back down at her stomach. "Either way, we're going to find out this week, right?"

"We are," she nodded. "Well, as long as the baby is in the right position when they do the ultrasound."

"You hear that little one?" He leaned in closer to her stomach, speaking in the most adorable-father-like voice he could find. "Be sure to get into the right position so we can see...or not see..." His smile turned cheeky as Maddie laughed, her fingers slipping up in to his mussed up hair. "Oh!" His eyes flashed wide, his posture straightening up as he felt her stomach bump under his hand. "Look! She heard me!" He pressed his hand tighter to her stomach as the baby inside moved around.

"Ha!" Maddie would find his amazement endlessly amusing. She loved how much he loved this. "It seems as though your child is listening..."

"God Maddie," he exhaled with a shake of his head. "I can't believe this is happening...right here inside of you!"

"You're telling me," she laughed not sure if she wanted to roll her eyes or kiss him senseless. "It's happening inside of me!"

"I know," he looked up to her with humility, a tiny bit of jealousy and an immense amount of pride. "Tell me...what does it feel like to feel it move inside of you like that?"

"Well..." Her eyes narrowed just a bit as she looked down at her belly, smiling as she thought about it. "It feels more normal now that the baby is getting bigger. I can feel it move around and I can kind of tell where it is...situated..." She shrugged. "But at first it was just the strangest thing in the world, like this...flutter. Like there was a fish swimming around in there."

"Ha!" Harry chuckled as his hand smoothed over her. "I bet that was odd."

"Yes," she nodded and moved her hand to cup his cheek. "I'm so glad you can feel it now Captain."

"Me too," he sighed blissfully, turning to kiss her palm. "Me too. Now...tell me Mum..." His hand left her belly, pulling her fingers into his. "Is there anything I can do for you right now? Anything I can bring you or..."

"Well," her eyes turned mischievous, her smile tipped smirky. "I think...I think I saw some chocolate on the stand by the door and..."

"Ha!" Harry clapped his hands together and sat up on his knees. "I'm on it." Leaning to kiss her lips, he swept down to her belly, his hands resting over her. "This is your father....don't move until I get back. Your mum needs chocolate and right now we do whatever mum asks..."

"Right now?" Maddie lifted her eyebrows playfully.

"Always," Harry laughed and leaned to kiss her belly before sliding from the bed. "I'll be right back."

"I'll be right here," she sighed back into the pillow.

"Perfect," Harry smiled at her and for the life of him—he meant it. This moment, this night, his life...it was perfect.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The second major milestone came a week later during a private doctor's visit in the afternoon of a dreary London day. Everything about the day had been normal; mundane. An easy breakfast, a light day in the office, and then they left together for the appointment. It was routine; simple. Maddie's blood work was fine, her progress fantastic and when they took a look at the baby—everything was just where it was supposed to be.

It was simple and easy and ordinary.

Except it wasn't.

As they stepped out of the doctor's office and made way to their waiting car, they both struggled with their ability to maintain a calm, collected face. They both fought with their instinct to jump and laugh and shout. In fact, they could barely look at each other as they slipped into the backseat—each fighting to keep their features relaxed.

Because they were nothing close to relaxed. They were halfway through the pregnancy and their baby was doing magnificently. They were giddy and delirious and blissful and it took every single thing they had in them to keep it together.

Because they knew. Their little, squirming baby had listened to Harry and had been in the exact position needed to find out.

The car doors closed and the car pulled into motion and Harry couldn't take it any longer.

With her fingers held tightly in his, he turned to look at her, love and adoration seeping from his smile, permanent in his eyes. "Maddie..." He whispered. "A daughter?"

Biting at her lip, swallowing at her emotions, her eyes welled up and she nodded, bliss filling every corner of her face as she turned to meet his eyes. "A daughter."