Chapter 49

Maddie woke on Saturday morning to a soft knock at the door. Groaning, she rolled over; covering her head with her pillow. It was barely light out and much too early, though she should have known; should have expected. The knock at the door returned and Maddie surrendered.

"Come in!" Refusing to open her eyes; she knew who it was.

"Madeline Jay Forrester..." Hannah's voice was soft, smiling, as she stepped into the room and Maddie couldn't help the grin that pushed at her lips, despite her desire to sleep longer. She felt the bed nudge as her mother sat next to her; her hands moving lovingly over her back to move the pillow. "Guess what day it is..."

"Saturday," Maddie grumbled and Hannah chuckled and took a breath before she began singing.

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Maddie..." She leaned over to kiss Maddie's head. "Happy Birthday to you."

"Thank you," Maddie rolled over in bed to smile up at her mother. "But must you wake me every year at the precise time I was born just to sing to me?"

"I must," Hannah smiled at her daughter. "I thought about waking Harry to come with me but then I thought...what if he sleeps in the nude and..."

"Mother!" Maddie swatted at her mother who was laughing; knowing that would wake her up.

"And that would be terribly awkward."

"Yes, it would," Maddie sat up in her bed.

"Happy birthday darling."

"Thanks mom," Maddie hugged her mother; close and tight.

"So, it's your birthday, your rules." Hannah rose to her feet. "What would you like for breakfast?" Maddie grinned wide; having always loved the birthday rule when she was young.

"Anything?" Maddie raised an eyebrow.

"Anything."

"Birthday cake." Hannah rolled her eyes but nodded; rules were rules.

"What kind of birthday cake?"

"Ummmm...." Maddie's mouth twisted as she thought. "Red velvet with cream cheese frosting."

"As you wish," she shook her head as she moved towards the door. "Are you going back to sleep?"

"Nah," Maddie yawned but pulled back the covers. "I'm awake. I think I'll have coffee and help you make cake."

"Wonderful," Hannah waited for her daughter; wrapping her arm around her shoulders as they padded down the hallway to the kitchen. Maddie pulled up a stool at the bar at her mother's insistence and waited for the coffee to brew while her mother mixed up the cake.

The two women were still in the kitchen, drinking coffee as Hannah prepared to pour the cake into the pan, when Harry joined them. He looked fresh from bed in long flannel pants and a t-shirt and messy hair.

"What is going on in here?" He looked at the bright red batter in Hannah's bowl.

"I'm making red velvet cake," she smiled up at him.

"For breakfast?" He laughed and turned to Maddie, "Happy Birthday love."

"Thank you," Maddie's face brightened as she tipped her head up to kiss him. "Forrester house rules are that, on your birthday, you get whatever you want."

"All day?" Harry raised his eyebrows, taking a seat next to her.

"All day."

"It's going to be a long day, isn't it?" Harry looked to Hannah.