Chapter 70

Day 74

On Day 74 Maddie finally fell asleep. It had taken 46 hours and a trip to Highgrove, but she finally fell asleep. The night of the Apache incident, Maddie had gone home and had every intention of sleeping away the anxiety and fear left behind from those few minutes she thought the news could be right. But once she hit the pillow, her mind woke up; processing the moment over and over and over and over again; making her stomach turn, making her brain go wild. And she was wide awake.

For two days.

On the second day, Charles called her to extend an invitation to Highgrove for the weekend. Deciding that time away was exactly what she needed, Maddie agreed. So, after packing up her things and an easy drive into the country, she was being greeted by Charles and Camilla at the door to the beautiful estate Maddie had fallen in love with some time ago. It was late in the evening but they had waited to have dinner with her. As they ate Maddie decided that at some point in their lives, Charles and Camilla must have been pulled aside and schooled on the fine art of conversation because they kept the conversation flowing and lively, despite Maddie's lackluster alertness. After dinner, Camilla suggested Charles and Maddie have hot tea in the den while she returned a phone call to her daughter. Pleased to spend time with Harry's father, she followed him willingly. Taking her seat on the chair opposite his, she tucked a blanket around her legs and breathed in the fresh, country air.

She could listen to him talk for hours; he was so much like Harry. She wondered if it would be strange if she asked him to read to her. Deciding it would, she just smiled and continued to ask questions about his favorite topic; the grounds around them. And he kept right on talking.

Charles wasn't daft. And he wasn't blind. He could see her drifting long before she knew she was drifting. Her eyelids were heavy; the beats between blinking lasting longer and longer. He could see how hard this had been on her; Harry's deployment, the attack. His heart ached for her; for his son. He had never had daughters, though he now considered Kate one of his own, but his heart ached for Maddie in a way he imagined her father's would have were he there to see her like this.

"Madeline," his voice was syrupy as he leaned forward in his chair. She opened her eyes and nodded her acknowledgement; a bob of her head. "Perhaps it's time for us to retire." He included himself, suspecting she wouldn't be easy to convince.

"Maybe..." Maddie sighed with a sleepy smile. "Maybe you're right." So she rose to her feet and let him hug her tight.

"Good night darling," he was sweet with her; comforting.

"Good night sir," Maddie smiled sweetly and stepped away from him; not thinking twice about the blanket that she had wrapped around herself. Passing Camilla on the way towards the stairs, she said goodnight and continued on.

When Maddie stepped into the room she usually took when they stayed at Highgrove, she was shocked to find the room empty; devoid of her belongings. Though she generally ended up in the same bed with Harry, her things were always in here. Stepping out, she looked up and down the hallway. Was she really that tired? Had she passed her usual room? She glanced back inside; finding the settee that Harry had christened with her on one particular drunken night. No, this was the right room. Flipping on the lights, she crossed the room, opening the bureau. The staff normally unpacked her things, turned on lights, warmed up the room...but none of that had happened. And her things were nowhere to be found.

Stepping back out of the room, Maddie made her way back downstairs, hoping to find an answer.

"Everything okay?" Charles called to her as she stepped off the last of the stairs.

"I..." She shook her head with a chuckle. "I thought that I would be in the same room, but my things aren't in there. I guess I've been moved?"

"Ah yes," he nodded. "I'm sorry. I suppose I should have asked you first. I thought you might be more comfortable in Harry's room this weekend."