Chapter 184

As cliche as it seemed, returning home to London felt like she was turning a page to a new chapter in this crazy saga that had become her life. Landing in London alleviated the weight on her shoulders, allowed her to breathe a little easier. As important as it had been for her to be at home with Kyle and Amy, as big of a step as running into Travis had been for her rebound from all of this, she only felt whole as she returned to Harry and Lilli.

It was very early in the morning when she stepped through the front door of their home. The sun was barely beginning to tip up over the horizon. Quietly she slipped from her shoes, leaving her bags by the door as she made her way through the comfortingly silent home. For a moment her heart was torn; slip into bed and snuggle up against her husband, or sneak into her daughter's room and take in some cuddle time with her sleeping baby.

Because she couldn't help herself, she took quiet, careful steps into Lilli's room. Peeking at her asleep in her bed, she restrained herself from picking her up. A quick glance at the clock told her that she would be up in about two hours to eat anyway and she knew she could use the sleep. She ran a soft thumb over the curve of her chubby cheeks, light fingers over the tuft of red hair that stood out from her head in kinks and curls. With warmth returning to her heart, she watched for a drawn out moment before she slipped from the room and let her sleep, already counting down the minutes till she knew she'd be awake for the day.

Her breath was coming up normal now; an easy in and out as she made her way to her own bedroom. The tension from the week, from the trip, from the last twenty-four hours seemed to have vanished now that she was safe within the walls of their home. As she stepped into their bedroom, she still hadn't quite decided if she wanted to let Harry sleep or if she wanted to wake him. She knew they had a long day ahead of them, knew that it was only a matter of time before they were up and minding Lilli, not too much longer before they were being rushed around to ready for the Royal Ascot.

But standing at his side of the bed, looking down at his scruffy, sleepy face, Maddie felt a warmth stir deep inside of her and a decision was made.

Tugging off her shirt, stepping out of her pants, she left them in a pile on the floor. As a flush rose up over her skin, she tossed aside her bra, her underwear and with a breath of hope and a smug grin on her face, she lifted up the blankets and moved into the bed next to him. He only stirred a little as she slid in closer, her hands hungry as they reached out to him.

"Mmm..." He mumbled, stretching closer to awake as her hands moved over the broad span of his chest.

"Harry..." Her voice was low and deep as she tucked in close to him, her body responding with fever from the heat radiating off of his. "Harry..." She pressed a kiss to his bare chest. "Wake up Captain. I'm home..." Moving higher up his body, he began to respond. His hips pushed up towards her, his hands moved to wrap around her. And just as her lips kissed his collarbone, just as her tongue lapped warm against the soft skin of his neck, Harry stirred and woke up.

"Maddie..." Her name fell from his lips in a breath of disbelief; his eyes bouncing quickly as they looked her over, his mind trying to decide if this were reality or another dream from which he did not want to wake.

"Good morning Captain," she grinned, adjusting herself so that she was straddling his waist, leaning down and close; her chest pressing against his as she met his lips with hers. Midway through the second tease of her tongue, Harry woke completely and realized this was not a dream.

"Maddie," he moaned into her mouth as he moved. His hands stuffed into her hair as he sat up, his lips parting as his tongue moved out against hers. "Oh God...it's really you."

"I'm sorry I woke you," she was breathing heavy as his hands ran over her skin, the feel of him growing hard beneath her bringing a flush to her skin, a shock to her nerves.

"Nonononono," Harry shook his head, his lips still tangled with hers as he pressed her to him; his body longing to be closer to hers. "My God..." he breathed, his eyes widening as his hands slid down over her bare skin. "You're completely naked."

"I am," Maddie nodded, biting at her lower lip as his fingers teased over her hips, sliding around in between them. "And you...you've still got your clothes on."

"Merely a slight bump in the road," he grinned, his hips rocking up against her. "One which I would be more than happy to take care of..."

"Allow me," she kissed him long and slow before she pulled away. She was quick as she tugged at his shorts, at his boxers. Her smile pulled higher when he sprang free. "Well hello there..." She sighed, tossing his shorts aside before she wrapped her hand around him, stroking over him a few times before he groaned and pulled her hand away.

"Get up here," he commanded, tugging her towards him, settling her back into his lap. His arms wrapped around her as he buried his face in her neck; kissing a path from her ear to her chest. The fuzz on his face made her giggle.

And when she giggled, it made her squirm.

And when she squirmed, it made the both of them moan.

"Captain..." She knew she sounded desperate but found that she didn't quite care too much. "I want you..."

His smile tugged higher, his eyes flashing naughty as his fingers slipped between them. "Tell me."

Leaning forward, she wrapped her hand around the back of his neck, pulling her lips to his ear. "I've been thinking about this since I boarded the plane..." She rocked her hips in his lap. "I've been imagining your hands on me for the last half of my flight..." She nipped at his ear, felt him groan as he held her tighter to him. "All I've wanted to do was this..." She maneuvered herself right over the tip of him. "Tell me...can we do this?"

"Oh God yes," he nodded, his voice low and husky in his throat as he wrapped his arms tightly around her. "So long as it's not in missionary position." As he pulled her down onto him, as he pushed up into her, Maddie's head tipped back half in laughter, half in ecstasy.

As Harry fell back on the bed, Maddie began to move over him and somewhere in their collective moaning, the laughter began to fade.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I have some bad news," Harry smiled at Maddie cuddled up in their bed as she played with a giggling and cooing Lilli.

"Oh?" She could tell by the easy smile on his face that it wasn't serious.

"Tara is here to do your hair and makeup for Ascot," he moved over to the side of the bed, bending to kiss her lips. "She's on her way through the gates now."

"Boo..." She frowned against his lips, her heart warming as he leaned to kiss Lilli, to tickle her belly playfully.

"I know it," Harry shook his head at his daughter. "We don't want to share Mum quite yet, do we?" Lilli squealed as his fingers moved over her chubby legs. "No we don't."

Laughing, Maddie sighed, the weight of her responsibilities settling in. "Is Greta here?" She sat up in their bed, lifting her daughter up into her arms.

"Mmm," Harry nodded, turning towards his closet. "She's in the nursery."

"Okay..." Maddie turned a smile to her daughter, blowing raspberries on her cheeks, making her giggle. "Should we go see Miss Greta so Mummy can get ready?"

Though Lilli laughed, though she clapped her hands, Maddie absolutely wished she could have just a little more cuddle time with her. After she and Harry had had their reunion, they had fallen back asleep until Lilli had woken them. Maddie had brought her to bed to feed her, snuggling up with the both of them before they were called to start their day. She was tired, but it was all well worth it.

Kissing Harry's shoulder as she passed by him, Maddie snuggled Lilli closer to her and made her way towards the nursery, ready to pass her daughter over to Greta.

"Good Morning..." Maddie called out into the room as she bounced Lilli in her arms.

"Ma'am!" Greta turned a surprised smile to Maddie. "I'm so happy to see you again."

"Thank you," Maddie returned her smile. "It's good to be home."

"I'm sure the Duke is thrilled to have you home."

"I hope so," Maddie laughed, her cheeks flushing just a bit as she remembered their morning. "Listen, I wanted to apologize..."

"Sorry?" Greta's eyes flashed confusion.

"For the articles," Maddie shrugged. "For dragging you into whatever this mess is that's happening around us right now."

"There's absolutely no need to apologize ma'am," Greta shook her head; adamant in her response. "And if there's anything you need me to do..."

"Nothing," Maddie cut her off. "Nothing except look after this sweet little baby of mine..." She kissed Lilli again hating that she had to hand her over, but thankful for the wonderful woman who stood ready to take her.

"Hello there Miss Lilli," she smiled down at the happy baby, lifting her up into her arms. "I bet you're happy to have your mother home as well, aren't you?" As Lilli cooed and clapped her hands, Maddie took a deep breath and swallowed back her desires to cancel the rest of her day and stay home.

"Thank you Greta," Maddie's words were laced with emotion. "For taking such great care of her, for being here while I had to be away...for looking out for both of them." She lifted a genuine smile of thanks. "I can't tell you how much I appreciate it."

"Of course," Greta nodded, returning the smile. "We're all happy to have you home Ma'am."

"I can't tell you how happy I am to be here." Maddie leaned in to hug the nanny, to kiss Lilli and then, with just a hint of sadness, she stepped out of the nursery and returned to her room.

It was time to shower, time to dress, time to be made up.

Time to report for duty. And for the first time since the photos had landed, she wasn't walking on eggshells, she wasn't sick at the thought. In fact she felt stronger, fiercer than she had in a very long time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Thank God..." Harry breathed in relief as the car pulled to a quick stop outside the racetrack, their doors pulled open almost just as quickly as they had stopped. "We made it on time."

With a smirk on her face, Maddie stepped quickly from the car, waiting for him to round to her side before they moved inside; long, steady strides. "I told you we would be fine."

"Oh yeah?" He arched his eyebrows, his hand at her back as he leaned closer. "Was that before or after you took off my top hat and dropped to your knees?"

With pride in her eyes, she smiled wider. "Both." Whether the move was subtle or not, she wiped at the corner of her mouth, her eyes flashing as she did.

Harry groaned next to her. "Would you please stop?" He cleared his throat. "We're about to sit in a carriage with my grandparents and while I'm...thrilled to have this side of you back..."

"I get it." Giggling, Maddie gave in, smoothing down her skirt and taking a breath. The fluster of the people around them alerted her to their arrival. Turning to look in the direction of the excitement, Maddie found she was right. The Queen and The Duke were there; on their way down the causeway to join them for the carriage ride.

"I'm happy too," Maddie leaned in quickly, squeezing his hand before she dropped it to turn to his grandparents. "To have this side back." And she was. She was walking taller, carrying so much more of her former confidence; the events of the past month seeming to have lessened their hold on her psyche.

Harry tossed her a wink, a smile full of relief and adoration and then, with more effort than he would have guessed, he pulled his eyes away from her. "Grandfather!" He clapped his hands together and took a step forward.

"Henry. I see we're keeping the beard around a bit longer," Philip smirked as Harry bowed his head and leaned in to kiss his cheeks.

"Jealous?" Harry lifted his eyebrows wearing a nearly identical smirk of his own and for a moment Maddie was struck at the stark resemblance in the two men. "Or do you really just not like it."

"It's not me you need to be concerned with." He patted his grandson's cheek as he stepped away. "Is your wife a fan?"

"You can ask her yourself," Harry made way for Maddie who stood tall; her smile wide and bright.

"Your Royal Highness," she dipped into a curtsey before moving in to greet him. "It's good to see you again."

"You too my dear," he pressed his cheek to hers, squeezing her shoulders with warmth. "You're approving of the beard?"

"I am," Maddie nodded, her smile shifting to her husband. "I think it makes him look quite distinguished."

"Well I suppose you need all the help you can get sometimes," he couldn't help but joke with him, as was the nature of their relationship, the gene that ran through the both of them.

"All of the time," Harry chuckled, his attention shifting as the Queen stepped up to join them. "Your Majesty." Harry's head dropped in a bow to his grandmother, Maddie following suit as she curtsied to her.

"Henry," she turned a warm smile to her grandson as he kissed her cheeks, her eyes shining as she reached next for Maddie. "Madeline." She kissed her in greeting and then, in that wonderful way that was unique to her, she held onto Maddie's hand. "I was so sorry to hear about your cousin and his wife. What a horrible thing to happen to them."

"Thank you Ma'am," Maddie nodded, touched. "It's sweet of you to think of them."

"Of course," she patted her hand. "I'm happy you were able to go and be with them."

"I was too, thank you," Maddie swallowed back the emotion that welled in her throat. "But I'm happy to be back home."

"Yes," she nodded, looking around them towards the carriages that were lined up. "You've been through quite a bit lately as well. How are you holding up?"

"Standing tall," Maddie took a breath, squaring her shoulders. "Trying my best not to give it more merit than it deserves."

"A good approach," the Queen nodded and then, in a move that was so much more grandmother than monarch, she placed a comforting hand on Maddie's arm, smiling up to her with such sweetness. "You're doing a marvelous job my dear. Don't let it sink in and you'll be just fine. You're stronger than this."

"Thank you," Maddie's voice fell to a whisper as the Queen took a step forward, as the carriage pulled up to take them all out onto the track.

"You know..." Philip stepped up next to her, his voice lowering as he kept his eyes trained outwards. "I saw your recent video."

"Oh?" Maddie felt her stomach flip flop.

"A...street performance, if you will..." He nodded his head, turning a soft smile in her direction. "I'm a big fan of your work."

"Oh." Her eyes snapped to his.

"Big fan," he nodded and she swore she saw the same rebel tint in his eyes as she saw in her husband's. "Keep that spirit with you. You'll need it if you're going to be married to this one for the next sixty years." His head nodded to Harry who had stepped up next to her.

"Are you harassing my wife, grandfather?" His eyes flashed from Maddie to Phillip and back again, catching the mood between them.

"No no," Philip shook his head. "Though you can rest assured that this one can handle herself." And just like that, the moment turned to business. "Come along then. Let's get this parade on the way."

"My God..." Maddie's voice was low and under her breath, meant only for Harry. "Your grandfather just told me that he saw the video..."

"Oh..." Harry kept his face calm and trained as they all loaded into the carriage. "And?"

"And he's a big fan of my work."

"Ha!" Harry couldn't help the loud laugh that pushed through his lips. "Of course he is. He's a Windsor man, Madeline. We're drawn to short sassy women who can hold their own." With a wink and a nod, Harry turned his smile across the carriage to his grandparents. "Beautiful day for a win."

"Why yes Henry." the Queen nodded, folding her hands in her lap as the carriage lurched forward, the smile on her face laced with excitement. "Excellent day for a win."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maddie wasn't sure exactly what it was that had come over her. Maybe it was traveling to be with Kyle and Amy in the wake of a true tragedy. Maybe it was being at her home, with her mother and getting back to her confident, stubborn roots. Maybe it was the release she had had that afternoon she had lost it with Travis–maybe it was the pass she had received from the family when she did.

She didn't know what it was, but whatever had been the catalyst, it had set in motion this new air of conviction. It had been with her that morning of the Ascot; in the carriage ride, in the Royal Enclosure, throughout the entire day at the races. She didn't care so much that there was a low murmured chatter that seemed to surround her. She didn't care that people took an extra beat when looking her over. And, when she and Harry stepped out of the enclosure to make a quick round, she wasn't even terribly bothered when a small group of adoring fans approached her husband asking him to sign their maps.

In fact, she found a bit of humor in that.

"Jesus," Harry had shaken his head, his hand sliding possessively around her waist. "I think you single handedly elevated my stud status with that rant of yours."

"Mmm..." Maddie had smiled cheekily. "I think you single handedly elevated your stud status with that..."

"Madeline," his eyes grew dark, his tone serious. Though his smug grin betrayed him, Maddie cut her comment short.

"I love you Captain."

"It's a good thing you do," Harry shook his head and, holding her close to his side, made his way back to the confines of his family; the safety of the enclosure.

He loved that Maddie was more confident, that she wasn't quite as shaken. But there was something that had stuck with him, a hint of nervousness that was born of a lifetime lived in front of the public. He didn't feel quite as secure as she did and, for now, he wanted to keep her as close to him as he could; as protected as possible.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Alright..." Maddie breezed into their bedroom. "Lilli is dressed and ready to go. Our bags are packed and loaded for the trip to Foxgrove after your match and..."

"Oh Maddie," Harry stopped to look her over, his head shaking as he chuckled. "Really?"

"And the Bishops are meeting us out there." She finished her thought, standing tall as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Really what?"

"You know what," he nodded to her, the corners of his mouth twisting higher. "You're going to wear that shirt."

"I am." Maddie's eyes shone bright as she stood tall in their bedroom, smiling up at her husband in white pants and a bemused gleam in his eyes.

His eyebrows lifted, his fingers running over the green fabric. There was no denying it, he loved the way his t-shirt looked on her; belted over skinny jeans. And he loved the image that sprang to his mind whenever he looked at the graphic of the woman joyfully eating the hot dog. But he knew that very same image would pop into the minds of everyone looking at his wife that morning. "To the polo match?"

"To the polo match," she grew smug as she watched his expression change, knowing exactly what was going through his mind. "Unless you'd rather I take it off..." She bit her bottom lip, smiling up at him in heavy flirt mode.

Trying his best to ignore her diversion tactics, he took a breath. "You know people will be thinking..."

"I know what people will be thinking," she nodded, shrugging her shoulders and reaching for a light, cropped jacket. "And I simply do not care."

"You don't?" He followed her out of their room, down the stairs.

"Nope," she shook her head. "It's not as if they don't already know that I'm a fan of..." Turning a smirk up to him, she waved her hand over the image on the shirt. "Hotdogs."

"Nice." His voice went flat as they stepped through the foyer, joining Greta who was just finishing up with Lilli.

"Do you mind?" Maddie asked him, slipping serious for a moment as she took Lilli from Greta. "Thank you."

"Of course I don't mind," Harry shook his head, leaning to kiss them both; first Lilli and then Maddie.

When his lips lingered longer on hers, when she felt his hand press at her hip, Maddie felt her cheeks flush. With her voice dropping to a whisper, she lifted her eyebrows to him. "Maybe you want to meet me at the stables after the match? Prove all of their assumptions about us correct?"

"Ha," he kissed her again. "You know I'll always take you up on that offer." His hand slid down to slap her lightly on the ass before he stepped away.

"Prove it." Maddie winked at him before he stepped from the room to finish collecting things for the match, for their weekend out in the country with their friends. "Okay Miss Lilli. Are you all ready to go?"

"She is," Greta smiled warmly, humbled by these small, private, intimate moments she witnessed between the Duke and Duchess. "Her bag is packed with an extra change of clothes and a sweater in case it cools." She turned around the room, taking stock of everything. "There are bottles, toys...the normal run of the mill and there's more in the car for the weekend."

"Thank you Greta," Maddie couldn't put into words just how much it meant to have somebody she trusted so much. "How about you? Any big plans for the weekend?"

"No Ma'am," she shook her head. "Nothing exciting. Maybe some reading, mindless tv."

"Sounds like an exciting weekend to me." Maddie smiled as she adjusted Lilli in her arms. "Enjoy yourself."

"Of course," Greta nodded, leaning to kiss Lilli's head, smoothing her hand over her hair. "Have a lovely time in the country."

"We will," Maddie grinned, bouncing Lilli in her arms. "Are you excited to see daddy play polo today? Are you?" When the baby cooed, they all laughed; nothing but warmth and familiarity in the room.

"Madeline!" Harry's voice called out before he moved back through the room. "The car's loaded and ready..." He paused to thank Greta, to kiss her cheeks and then he turned to Maddie and Lilli. "Look at my girls. Are you ready to go?"

Pulling the packed bag up over her shoulder, Maddie nodded. "Let's do this."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The shirt was, just as they had both expected, quite the spectacle at the polo match. More than a few heads turned, more than a few photos were taken. Even Mike Tindall eyed her with a chuckle and a shake of his head.

"It's almost like you're taunting them now."

"Noooo...." Maddie answered playfully, her smile lighting up her eyes. But there was some truth to his words. Ever since Philip had given her new attitude his full-throated support, Maddie had embraced this side of her personality.

She couldn't do much about all the shit that was circulating about them, but she sure as hell could make it a point to make sure they knew–she didn't give a shit.

So she wore the shirt with the pointed innuendo and she set the place a buzz with chatter. She created her own little controlled scene.

Though not quite the scene Harry created when he dismounted his pony after a roaring victory and pulled his wife flush into his arms, not quite so much as when he kissed her; longer and rougher than maybe he had intended.

Maybe he didn't give much of a shit either.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The mood at Foxgrove that night was light; relaxed and easy. As Maddie and Ella took the kiddos up to bathe them, to ready them for bed, Harry took Bishop off on a tour of the place, still awaiting a few minor renovations.

Sipping on a glass of Scotch, Harry pointed out what would be the game room, took him through the wine cellar, pointing out the bottles already waiting for them. But when they stepped into the room that would be Harry's office, adorned with dark wood and a feel of elegance, Harry's eyes narrowed as he watched his friend take a look around.

Though it looked like he was taking in the intricacies of the crown molding, though it looked like he was appreciating the architecture, Harry could tell that something was different. Something was off and it had been since the Bishops had arrived.

"I think we're going to keep this mostly how it is," Harry shrugged, sipping at his drink as his eyes followed Bishop's walk around the room.

"Sure." He nodded.

"New carpet...furniture..."

"Mmm Hmmm..."

"Some mirrors on the ceiling," Harry's tone didn't change, his eyes didn't blink.

"Of course," Bishop nodded thoughtfully.

"Of course..." Harry's mouth turned up, his arms crossing over his chest. "Of course? Bishop...what the hell's wrong with you man?"

"Huh?" Bishop turned to face him, his eyes seeming to drift back into the moment, as though they had been in some far off place in his mind.

"I just told you I would be putting mirrors on the ceiling."

"Oh." Bishop swallowed, his smile was small as he realized he had been caught. "Interesting style choice."

"Interesting," Harry nodded, eyeing him as he moved in closer. "You want to tell me what's going on?"

"Nothing's going on." He answered way too quick, with way too much excitement.

"Ha!" Harry's head tossed back. "Even Lilli would call bullshit on that one. What the hell's the matter?"

"Nothing," Bishop repeated with a shake of his head, though this time his voice had faded, his eyes had shifted away.

"You're not hearing a word I say."

"Work has been..."

"You haven't touched your Scotch," Harry cut off his excuse, pointing at the still full glass in his hand. "Come on man. What is it?"

With a deep breath, Bishop's eyes lifted to look at Harry and when they did, when they leveled with his gaze, the look in them was dark; heavy. It nearly made Harry take a step backwards. "I really didn't want to do this here. Tonight."

"Do what?" Harry was more than confused now, a tingle of nervousness settling in the pit of his stomach.

"Okay, listen..." Bishop's voice dropped conspiratorially as he moved around Harry, glancing down the hallway before he shut the door to the office and turned to face him. "There's something I need to tell you..."

"Jesus Bishop, you're scaring me." Harry watched him as he moved in closer. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he nodded quickly. Patting the pocket of his jacket, he took a deep breath and went for it. "I just...I did something I maybe shouldn't have and I already know it's going to piss you off..."

"Bishop." Harry exhaled his name, not sure he had it in him to handle anymore bullshit. "It's been a long month and I'm finally back to a place where my wife isn't walking on eggshells and..."

"I know, I know. But I couldn't help myself." He shrugged his shoulders dismissively.

"What did you do?"

"Well..." He took a few steps closer, his voice dropping as he moved. "When we were at the park earlier this week with the kids, just after the story dropped about you and Greta...you said something that got me thinking."

"Yeah..." Everything about Harry was leery; his voice, his eyes, the way he stood tall and tense in this immaculate room.

"Yeah," Bishop nodded, continuing quickly. "You said that Maddie had said something to you about the possibility that all of these media attacks were maybe...personal."

Harry knew instantly where this was headed. "I should have never told you that."

"Yes you should have." Bishop's tone changed, his eyes leveling with Harry's in a way that made the later nervous.

"I don't want to know what you're about to tell me, do I." He could feel the heat building behind his ears.

"Yes you do," Bishop's arms crossed over his chest. "I made a couple of phone calls, put a couple of people on it..."

"Damn it Bishop!" Harry groaned, his eyes rolling as his hands rubbed up over his face. "You can't do that. The last thing I need is somebody getting wind of investigators poking around the media. I can't even imagine the shit that we would get. Can't you just leave well enough alone?"

"You don't even want to know what I..."

"No," Harry shook his head, his eyes wide. "I don't. I want to be able to say that I had no idea what..."

"It's personal." Bishop's voice was soft and quiet and more than a little scary as it settled over the room like a heavy, dark cloud.

Harry stumbled on that, his eyes blinking as the statement echoed in his mind. "It's...what do you mean it's..."

"I'll tell you," Bishop nodded, finally taking a drink of the Scotch in his glass and Harry thought maybe this was the most serious he had ever seen him. "If you want to know, I'll tell you."

"I don't know." Harry shook his head, looking out around the room as his mind worked it over. "I..."

"Harry," Bishop's voice was low, a bitter chuckle on his lips, anger in his eyes. "Trust me, you want to know."

With a glare fixed on his best friend, Harry took in a long, slow deep breath and let it out; his jaw clenching and relaxing. He felt like he was standing on the edge of a very dark, steep cliff. "You know who's behind all of this."

"I do." Bishop didn't move, didn't blink. "Maybe not all of it but most of it and Harry..."

"Who." Harry spoke the word and held his breath, all of the stress from the past month gathering on his shoulders, all of Maddie's tears, all of the chaos. Everything was weighing on him as he watched his best friend take a breath, steel himself for the impending reaction.

And then he told him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maddie and Ella were up in the room that would be the Bishop's for the night. Buckie was bathed, dressed for bed and playing with his trucks on the floor as Ella rocked Lilli; bundled up for the night and nearly half asleep. They were just making loose summer play plans when they heard the crash of shattering glass.

"What the..." Maddie glanced towards the doorway, then to Ella. "Did you just hear..."

"Yes," Ella nodded, adjusting Lilli in her arms as Maddie rose from her spot on the floor. "Maybe it was the boys. They were drinking Scotch and taking a tour...Maybe they dropped something."

"Maybe," Maddie nodded, biting at her lower lip, thinking that the crash didn't sound so much like an accident. "Do you mind if I..." She gestured towards the door.

"Go," Ella smiled, hugging Lilli closer. "I'll cuddle your daughter while Buckie plays."

"Thanks," Maddie grinned at the scene, at how content they all looked, and then she slipped from the bedroom.

It didn't take her long to find them. The light was on in the office and she could hear the murmur of their voices as she rounded the corner. But when she saw Jim step out of the door, she stopped in her tracks.

"Everything okay?"

"Yes Ma'am," he nodded, offering a small smile before he stepped around her.

Maddie watched him walk away, confusion creeping deeper in her thoughts, and then she continued on to the office. With a soft knock as she pushed the door open, she put on a big smile that faded nearly the instant she saw them; tense and poised in what she thought might be an argument. With a quick sweep of her eyes around the room, she saw the shattered glass against the fireplace, she saw her husband's muscles bunched in anger and she saw a look on Bishop's face that told her they weren't fighting.

But something was most definitely going on between them.

Looking between the two friends, she stepped further into the room. "I heard the glass all the way upstairs." Her arms folded over her chest. "Somebody want to tell me what the hell is going on?"

Harry was facing away from her, the stress and tension in his neck evident even from where she stood. Bishop took a deep breath as he watched his friend, waiting for him to answer. But when he didn't, he shook his head and turned his best rendition of a smile to Maddie. "Nothing. Nothing's going on. I just..."

"Nothing?!" Harry spun around to face him, his eyes wide and furious. "Nothing. Yeah. Nothing." He didn't even look to Maddie as he shook his head. "I love you Bishop but don't lie to her. Tell her. Tell her what you just told me."

Maddie's eyes narrowed, confused at the way Harry was speaking to his best friend, confused by the fury in his face. "Bishop?" She turned to look at him.

But Bishop was looking at Harry, a sort of plea in his eyes. "Listen. Maybe you should calm down. Maybe you should..."

"Maybe you should fucking tell her." Harry took a step forward, his hand reaching for a glass of scotch resting on the table between them. Swallowing back what was remaining in the glass, he held it out to Maddie, his eyes dark as they met hers. "Here. You're going to want this."

"I..." She looked down at the glass in her hand, watched her husband turn away from her and then she looked to Bishop. Bishop who looked sad and afraid and like he wished he could be just about anywhere else in the world. "Bishop? What's going on? What's all this about?"

"I..." His voice cracked and he cleared his throat. Taking a deep breath, he smoothed his hands down the front of his shirt and he stood taller. "I found out some information about this...attack that's been waged against you."

"Attack," Maddie repeated the word, her voice wavering just a bit. "You mean..."

"The story about Greta, the edited photos of you, the interview with your ex-boyfriend..." He exhaled and pressed his hand to his chest a move that both comforted and concerned Maddie.

"The pictures of Harry and I in Colorado?" Her voice was small and quiet, her heart hammering in her ears as her mind worked to piece it all together.

"No," Bishop shook his head. "As far as I can tell, that guy acted on his own accord. I think she just took advantage of the opening..."

"She." Maddie felt her heart jump into her throat, the air in her lungs draining. "She?" She looked from Bishop to Harry and back again. "What do you mean...there's somebody behind all of this?"

"Most of it, yes," Bishop nodded, his eyes softening as he watched her absorb what he was saying, as he watched her begin to buckle. "Maddie..."

"Who?" She looked between the two of them, reading the room with such accuracy that it made her stomach hurt. "You said she? Who is...she? Who would even want to..."

And then it hit her.

The glass slipped from her fingers as her hand moved to her tightening throat, her eyes flashing wide as she met Harry's lifted eyes. He stood tall as he held her gaze; his jaw hard, his eyes dark. And he didn't flinch even a little bit as Bishop answered her question. "Cassandra. It's...it's been her since the photoshopped pictures dropped. Well....her and her brother who has controlling holdings in a few 'media' outlets." His voice faded into the background as he watched the two of them look at each other, as he watched the unspoken conversation begin. "I'm so sorry. I just...I thought you should know what I know and..."

"Put me in a room with her." Maddie's voice sounded foreign to her own ears; too angry, too bitter.

"What?" Harry blinked, coming back from his angered trance.

"What?" Bishop echoed, a slight tint of laughter on his lips.

Maddie turned to look at Bishop, her fingers still stretched around her throat. "Put me in a room with her. You must know where she is, if you know all of this other information and I'm SAYING...Put. Me. In. A. Room. With. Her."

Bishop felt the force of her words, nodding as he pulled his eyes from her; shifting down to the floor in front of him. "Yeah, listen..."

"And what?" Harry spoke up, cutting him off as he took a step towards his wife. "Why would you possibly want to be in a room with her?"

"You know why." Maddie stood taller.

"Jesus Maddie," Harry groaned, shaking his head.

"What?" She lifted her eyebrows. "Tell me that if Bishop hadn't just told you that some man was responsible for....for all of this HELL that's been dropped on us in the last month!" She tried to calm herself, tried not to yell. "Tell me you wouldn't want to be in a room with him for just FIVE FUCKING MINUTES!" She slammed her hand down on the desk next to her. "Put me in a fucking room with her!"

"I can't," Bishop's shoulders had dropped, his eyes were full of sadness and something in the way he was looking at them made them worry he wasn't quite done.

"Yes you can," Maddie nodded. "Yes you can. I couldn't kick her ass the FIRST time she started shit with us because I was pregnant, but I'm not any longer..."

"Jesus Christ Madeline, do you hear yourself?" Harry was shaking his head, his fingers working over the tense muscles in his neck. The room felt out of his control, this conversation flying out of his reach. "You cannot kick her ass."

"Yes I can."

"Maddie..."

"YES I CAN!

"No," this time Bishop spoke up. "No, he's right. You can't."

"And why the hell not?!" Maddie turned her glare to him.

"Because..." He sucked in a breath. "Because she's pregnant."

And just like that the room deflated; silence settling eerily over them.

"She's...she's what?" Harry could barely speak over the loud hum ringing louder and louder in his ears.

"You heard me," Bishop's eyes locked with Harry's. "That's why she's been able to get away with all of this, why she's been able to convince her brother to print all of this even when it's..."

"But..." Maddie stammered, her head shaking as she tried to catch up. "But how does that..."

"Because," Bishop swallowed the lump in his throat, his heart aching in his chest. "Because she's convinced him to believe what she's telling others, what I'm 99 percent certain she's going to drop on the rest of the world very very soon..."

"Wha...what?" Harry asked the question, his breath held in his lungs, his heart stopping in his chest.

"That the baby is yours."