Chapter 124

Day 10-13:

Time off with family

Day Ten

The next three days spent with Maddie's family were exactly what the two of them needed; some low-key down time with her crazy cousins. Her mother was meeting them at the hotel and they would be heading into the mountains together. Her cousins and her uncle were already in at her uncle's cabin and they were all set up, just waiting for the remaining three to join them.

Maddie woke before Harry, without the assistance of an alarm for the first day in weeks, and she turned over so that she could look at him. It struck her funny that no matter how many times she had seen him naked, no matter how many times they had done unspeakable things to each others' bodies, she still felt a slight flush when she looked at him. He was snuggled on his stomach, his face turned towards her with a light scruff and his bare, broad shoulders were peeking out above the folds of the sheets. And she had seen this before; many, many times; but she still felt that flush, that sigh that came from her lungs.

And she hoped she always would.

Though she was tempted to pull him awake and into her arms, she let him sleep. He had been working just as hard as she had, probably more so keeping up with her emotional rollercoaster rides. He deserved his rest.

So she stretched her arms out and slipped from their bed. Pulling on a robe, she stepped out into the living area and closed the door softly behind her. And her smile widened. Remnants of the night before were still strewn about; the extinguished candles, the uneaten food, the opened bottle of champagne and...

"Red Velvet Cupcakes!" She clapped her hands together excitedly as she hurried to the tall silver cover and pulled it off. There they all were, still intact and uneaten and Maddie was about to fix that. Pulling two from the tower they were situated on, she moved over to the table next to the window, pulling out a chair and settling into it and then she saw it. The necklace; that beautiful piece of jewelry that had been his mothers. Her eyes watched it as she took a bite of a cupcake, moaning quietly at the deliciousness. With a cautious hand, she reached out for the box, sliding it closer with one finger. Biting into the cupcake again, she let her eyes run over it just before her fingers did and she felt her skin shiver as though she was touching history. Finishing off the first cupcake, she supposed she really was.

Wiping her hands on a napkin, she pulled her entire focus to the gift Harry had given her. Pulling it from the box, she held it up in front of her; the light from the morning catching on the diamonds, sending sparkles of light around the room. The little girl inside of her smiled wide, nearing a giggle, as she contemplated wearing it.

It was moments like this; looking at an infamous piece of jewelry, a necklace that had graced the neck of a legend...here in her fingers. It reminded her so much of the moment the Strathmore Rose Tiara had been delivered to their place at Kensington Palace before the wedding. It was moments like those, when Maddie was holding something in her hands that had its own Wikipedia page, blogs, search histories on google. It all felt incredibly surreal.

Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and centered herself. Yes. The necklace was all of those things. But it was also Harry's mother's. And now it was hers. And the act of giving it to her had been so thought out by Harry, it made her heart warm.

"Well..." Maddie sighed and looked for the clasp; feeling as though if she didn't try it on at least once, she might never be able to. With a slight shake to her hands, she opened it up and pulled it around her neck. The clasp was sturdy and relatively easy to re-hook and then it was on; laying heavy against the juncture of her collarbones as she rose to her feet. Walking a few steps towards a mirror on the wall, she pulled her hair up off her neck and looked at her reflection. And she didn't know if she should laugh or cry; she wasn't entirely sure she was breathing.

It was so beautiful. And the history, the significance of it brought tears to her eyes. Her fingers reached up to run along the strands of pearls and she took a deep breath; letting it out slowly. What a gift. Maddie was so caught up in the moment, in trying to school her reactions to the moment, that she didn't even hear Harry step from their bedroom, she didn't sense his presence until his soft voice called out to her.

"It looks lovely on you." She turned with a jerk towards the sound, finding him half dressed in their doorway with a smile on his face.

"Oh God," Maddie groaned, feeling caught. She pulled from the mirror, let her hair fall and instantly moved to the clasp. "This is embarrassing."

"What is?" Harry had pushed away from the door, moving over to the table. "The fact that you're eating day old cupcakes for breakfast or that you're admiring yourself in the mirror?" He glanced up to her with a smirk and a wink.

"Jesus, both," Maddie laughed and her hands moved to the clasp. "Will you help me with this?"

"Sure," Harry moved in behind her, his fingers working easily as he pulled the necklace from her neck. "I thought we'd call Thomas and ask him to take it with him back to London..."

"That's a great idea," Maddie turned around to face him, watching as he handed it back to her. "I'm not sure I'll need it in the mountains."

"Probably not," he laughed. "But it does look nice on your neck."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maddie was beyond excited as her mother's arrival drew nearer. She was practically bouncing around the room while Harry flipped through the channels on the television.

"You know, you never get this excited to see me," he chuckled as he watched her.

"Aw," she ruffled a hand through his hair as she walked behind the couch. "You just haven't left me for a while. I mean...I haven't seen her in two months and..."

"It's okay," he grabbed her hand and tugged her down to him for a kiss. "I'm excited too."

And then, as if on cue, there was a knock at the door. Maddie lifted her mouth from his and hurried towards the door. Harry shrugged and flipped off the TV; rising to follow her. The second Hannah stepped into the suite, they were engulfed in hugs and kisses and words of praise.

"Oh Maddie," she hugged her daughter tightly to her. "I read your speech you gave at the White House, the White House and....It was so touching." Her face was full of pride. "And we saw you both at the Tomb of the Unknown and you..." She turned to Harry, taking his face in between her hands in a way that surprised him and made his heart swell at the same time. "In fatigues at the Warrior Games...playing even! Derek was so proud of the work you two have done." She kissed his cheek. "We all are."

"Thank you," Harry laughed, wrapping his arms around her; finding Maddie's excitement to be contagious as they all moved further into the suite.

"Now," Hannah sighed, calming just a bit as she wrapped her arm around her daughter's shoulder. "Tell me the two of you have been working on giving me that grandbaby you promised."

"Mother!" Maddie blushed as Harry turned wide eyes to Hannah. "I cannot believe you just said that."

"Ha!" Hannah laughed. "Neither can I."

"When did you start talking like that?"

"I think maybe I've been spending too much time with Kyle. But the look on Harry's face is completely worth it." She laughed again and shook her head; dismissing the subject.

"Fantastic." Harry's voice went flat as he looked to Maddie. "Now you're mother's messing with me."

"Well..." Maddie sighed. "I would think you would expect that by now."

"And I would think..." Hannah smiled. "That you should be prepared for a lot more of that if you two are coming with me to the cabins. Your days of propriety have come to an end and your cousins are waiting. Shall we join them?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The trip to the cabins wasn't terribly long and the scenery was beautiful so it seemed to pass even quicker and when they arrived, Maddie and Harry had both shifted into the relaxed state of serenity that came with their surroundings. While Harry had sat back in his seat and watched the world pass him by, Maddie and Hannah had spent a great deal of time catching up. Maddie brought her mother up to date on her upcoming trip to the Arctic; giving her details of the upcoming training and the dates she would actually be gone. Hannah let them both in on the decision she had made to start nursing school. She had been thinking about it for a while, having been moved by the kindness and professionalism she found the nurses had when her husband was ill and, after spending some time talking with Ella when she was in London for the wedding, she decided it was something she wanted to do. Maddie was excited for this new direction for her mother and Harry was quick to offer his support and congratulations.

The two black SUVs pulled up a long, private gated drive and, after rounding quite a few corners, they came to a stop in front of a beautiful, large log home with a few smaller cabins scattered behind and off to the side, a little further up the slope. They were surrounded by land; forest, meadow and not too far down hill, a river and a dock. Harry rolled down the window in the SUV and took a long, deep breath; smiling wide as he did.

And as soon as their caravan pulled up, Maddie's family began to surface; some from the dock, some from the houses—all of them coming to greet them and allow the agents to do their thing. They stepped out of the car and met up with Maddie's uncle Patrick, who showed them inside the main house where Maddie and Harry would be staying.

And while they set up inside, everyone else met in the long drive in a warm, wonderful chaos; hugging and kissing and smiling wide as the family all came together again for the first time since Maddie and Harry's wedding. And Harry instantly felt all the warmth and light and familial bond that came with this particular group of people. Amidst the hugs and kisses, there were loads of questions.

"How was the ride up?"

"Relaxing," Harry answered as he hugged Jenna hello.

"Where are Dena and the girls?" Maddie kissed Derek's cheeks.

"Down the river in tubes." He laughed.

"And Amy?" Maddie moved to Kyle's waiting arms, catching a glimpse of his t-shirt that appeared to have the same colors and wording as the one she was certain Derek was wearing.

"Up at our place," he told her. "We're staying behind the main house. She'll be right down."

"Fantastic but...hold on..." Maddie took a step back from Kyle. "What in the hell are you wearing?" She unzipped his jacket; revealing a t-shirt that made her roll her eyes. "Are you kidding me?"

"What's it say?" Harry leaned to look and busted out in laughter. "I Crashed The Royal Wedding?!" He clapped his hands together. "You guys kill me with the shirts."

"Where did you get this?" Maddie fought the smile that was pulling at her lips.

"Where do you think?"

"Jenna!" Maddie spun on her heel, finding the blonde who smiled sweetly; clearly wearing the same shirt—as was everyone else.

"Nicely done," Harry smiled to Jenna appreciatively. He loved their sense of humor, the way they played with each other like that. "I love it. I absolutely love it."

Maddie rolled her eyes with a laugh. "Of course you do."

"Of course I do," he narrowed his eyes at his wife for a moment before turning to Jenna who held a bag out to him. "What's this?"

"Yours." Jenna swung the bag in her fingers. "I figured you would want one and..."

"You got me one?!" And Maddie couldn't deny the way his face lifted in excitement, the way it warmed her heart to see it happen. "Oh my God!" Harry took the bag from Jenna and pulled out his very own shirt. His smile stretched wide as he looked from the shirt to Jenna. "Come here," he pulled her into a hug; pressing a kiss to her cheek. "That was incredibly thoughtful of you."

"It's like you're his dealer," Maddie laughed lightly. "His supplier."

"My supplier of awesome," he hugged her once more before he stepped back to look at the shirt. "Thank you for doing this." Pulling his hat from his head, he tugged at the t-shirt he wore.

"What the hell?" Maddie giggled as he tossed it to her, pulling the new shirt on and replacing his hat.

"I'm wearing it," he grinned from ear to ear. "It makes me feel like part of the family."

"Oh God," Maddie groaned but she loved how touched Harry seemed by the gesture and she loved her family even more for extending it to him.

"Don't worry," Harry winked at her. "If you're nice to me, I might let you borrow it." The cousins rumbled in laughter as Maddie shook her head at her husband.

"What on Earth is going on out here?" Amy's voice called out as she joined them in the drive.

"Amy!" Maddie's face brightened; her mind shifted instantly as she went to hug her close.

"It's so good to see you," Amy hugged Maddie tight, kissing her cheek; genuinely thrilled to have the two of them there with them. "You looked amazing on the news and..."

"Hold on," Harry's voice was serious as he interrupted them. "What the hell are you wearing?" Maddie pulled back from Amy's arms and looked to her husband who was pointing at Amy and staring intensely at her hand. Maddie's eyes followed his and then she saw it.

"Holy shit!" She gasped; her hands clamping instantly to her mouth and laughter filled the air; amused as Maddie and Harry joined in on the secret. "Amy...is that..."

"An engagement ring?" Amy finished; beaming. "Yes it is."

"Oh my GOD!" Maddie clapped her hands together; instantly giddy at the news. "You're getting married?!" Her head whipped from Amy to Kyle and back again.

"Yes," Amy blushed just slightly as the attention focused on her.

"Does Kyle know?" Maddie joked as tears pricked to her eyes and they all laughed.

"Smooth," Harry snickered. "Congratulations," he took his turn to hug Amy and then turned to Kyle to do the same.

"Look at you," Maddie nudged her cousin in the ribs. "All grown up and everything."

"Please," he rolled his eyes.

"When did this happen?" She was so happy for him and Amy—though she already very much felt Amy was part of the family.

"A few weeks ago," Kyle's sweet smile to Amy made Maddie's insides turn to mush.

"Do you have any plans yet?"

"No," Amy shook her head. "We're thinking maybe next summer, but we're not sure."

"That's amazing," Maddie sighed, her eyes flashing to Harry who was already watching her with a grin. "Congratulations you two."

"Thanks," Kyle smiled and moved to pull the attention from them. "Now. We were getting ready to head down to the river, meet up with Dena and the girls. You coming or..."

"Yes!" Maddie nodded, turning towards Harry and her mother and the agents. "I think we're going to get settled and then head on down."

"Great. We'll see you in a bit."

As they all dispersed, Maddie, Harry and Hannah made their way into the main house that Jim and his team had cleared for them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It wasn't long before the three of them were heading down to the river. Along the bank there was a very large deck and a small deckhouse where they kept tubes and a fridge with drinks. Somebody could stay there if they wanted, there was a small cot and electricity and they often used it to change or to escape a surprise rain storm. On the deck there was tables and chairs and a fire pit in the middle. And Maddie's family was strewn about, relaxed as some read books, some propped their feet up and watched the river and a few of them were gearing up to go fishing.

"Now this..." Harry sighed as they stepped onto the deck. "Is how to finish up a tour."

"Hey," Gary smiled up at them. "Pull up a chair. There's beer in that cooler."

"Perfect," Harry grinned, sliding his sunglasses onto his face and reaching for a beer and taking a seat. "Maddie?"

"No," she shook her head with a smile. "I'm good." Her focus was on Kyle who was messing with his rod. "What are you doing?"

"You know exactly what I'm doing," Kyle answered lightly before turning a smug, cocky look to Maddie. "What do you say, Your Royal Highness, still know how to fly fish?" There were a few light snickers around the deck as Harry watched his wife's eyes darken with competitiveness.

"Enough to out catch you I would imagine." She was smug and glib and shrugged. And the snickers grew louder.

"Ohhhhh." Kyle chuckled. "You think so?"

"Jesus. Here we go." Amy rolled her eyes and dropped into a camp chair next to Harry. "Tell your wife good-bye, Harry. We'll never see them again."

"What?" He watched with amusement as Maddie grew serious.

"Gary," she glanced back, hands on hips. "Can I borrow your rod?"

"Sure," he shrugged and pointed to a rod leaning against the railing of the deck. "I have a vest in the house that will probably fit you. You can take what you need from mine."

"Perfect," Maddie smiled victoriously and turned back to Kyle. "Come on Kyle. Whataya got? Want to put some money down on this?"

"Money?" Harry laughed, took a pull from his bottle and turned to Amy. "Are they about to fish for money?"

"Yes," Amy rolled her eyes, opening her own drink.

"We've only been here for like...ten minutes." He laughed to himself and settled back.

"Maddie, I have waders in the house if you want them," Amy nodded towards the deckhouse.

"Thank you," Maddie smiled to her as she moved towards the house, calling out to her PO. "Sampson, I'm going down that river in five minutes, you coming with me?" Harry snickered as he watched lift her eyebrows to her agent and laughed outright when Sampson glanced to Jim and followed behind her.

It was less than five minutes when Maddie emerged in waders and a vest, all decked out with flies and other fishing supplies. Harry looked her over appreciatively, more than sufficiently turned on by how cute she looked with the rod in her hand and her hair pulled back from her face. And he loved that he got to see this side of her too.

"Hey baby..." She turned to him; her voice dropping sweet in such a way he knew she wanted something from him.

"Darling?" Harry looked up to her.

"Can I borrow your hat?" She tapped his Panama with a finger.

"It'll cost ya." The corner of his mouth tugged up and his eyes flickered.

"Oh?" She grinned. "What will it cost me?"

"Come here," he snatched her hand in his and pulled her down to him; his lips catching hers in a kiss. "Go ahead." He whispered against her lips before kissing her once more.

"Thank you," she nudged his nose with hers and pulled his hat from his head onto hers. "Come on Kyle. I'm going to kick your ass."

"Get 'em baby," Harry called after her as he leaned back, kicking his feet up onto the ledge and turning to Amy. "The level of competiveness in this family is outrageous."

"Agreed," she laughed.

"But..." He lowered his voice. "Sometimes...it's pretty damn cute."

"I'll drink to that," she held her bottle to his. Harry clinked the glass together and took a drink; ready to watch it all unfold next to Amy and Gary. And as Maddie followed Kyle down the steps towards the water, Harry caught a soft look on Hannah's face that for some reason made his heart swell a bit.

"Tell me," Harry spoke to his drinking partners. "How long have they been like this?"

"Kyle and Maddie?" Gary asked.

"Yeah," Harry nodded. "I mean. You're all pretty nuts..."

"Thank you," Gary laughed.

"But those two seem to be at it the most."

"Yeah," Gary agreed. "I think they've been this way for as long as I can remember. They are the closest in age and they've just always razzed each other."

"In everything?" Harry asked.

"In everything," Amy smiled.

"So...who's going to win this round?" He nodded towards the water where Kyle and Maddie and a reluctant Sampson were wading in.

"Well," Gary took a breath. "Five years ago? Maddie. No doubt. She's always been the better of the two with the fly rod. But..." He glanced to Harry with a twisted smirk. "She's been...doing other things for a while..."

"Other things?" Harry lifted his eyebrows, catching the tone of Gary's voice.

"You know...making speeches, waving..."

"Hey!" Harry's hand moved to his chest.

"Helping children in Africa," Amy added and they all softened.

"She hasn't been in the river for a while," Gary smiled at the camaraderie between them; enjoying how easily Harry flowed with the family. "So maybe this is Kyle's chance."

"God I hope so," Amy shook her head. "I'm not sure I can handle him otherwise." And the three of them settled in their chairs and watched.

"Who taught them to fly fish?" Harry's eyes were fixed on Maddie who was just flicking her line into the water.

"Jay," Gary answered with a low, solemn voice that drew Harry's eyes to him. "Maddie's father taught us all how to fish." Harry watched his eyes grow sad and he understood the look on Hannah's face; certain the look on his echoed it. Turning back to Maddie he took a breath and he hoped with all he had that she was about to kick Kyle's ass.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It was nearly dark and almost everyone was sitting around the fire burning in the fire pit in the middle of the deck. Harry sat amongst the circle, listening to the water; his eyes glancing out to it every few seconds.

"Relax," Jenna giggled as he glanced again. "They're fine. They'll be back."

"Ha." Harry chuckled, trying to hide the tad bit of nervousness. "Sorry. Is it obvious?"

"A little bit," Jenna pinched her fingers together.

"Don't worry," Amy waved her hand. "They are going to fish till the sun is down and then they'll be back. Plus...if there was an issue, wouldn't Sampson have contacted you by now?"

"Sure," Harry sighed, glancing to Jim before sitting back while Derek and Gary chuckled.

"Look at the newlywed," Gary nodded to Harry who immediately turned a smirk to him.

"Please."

"Give him a break," Jenna nudged her husband. "He just misses his wife."

"Well, it's been what...two hours?" Gary poked easy fun at Harry who rolled his eyes while a light laughter traveled around the circle.

"Fine, fine," Harry waved his hand. "Take your best shot. I can take it." In truth he knew this meant that they really accepted him as one of their own.

"I think it's nice," Dena shrugged.

"Me too," Jenna agreed. "It's nice when a man likes to go home...kiss his wife." She looked pointedly at Gary as she repeated Harry's words from his interview.

"Oh for God's sake!" Gary threw up his hands as they all laughed. "That reminds me," he turned to Harry. "You really think we don't have enough problems..."

"We?" Harry lifted his eyebrows, smiling brightly at the amusingly irritated man beside him.

"Men." Gary answered.

"Not all men," Derek shot out, wrapping an arm around his wife as Harry laughed and Gary continued.

"You think we don't have enough problems around here without you running around in your camo fatigues and your British accent..."

"Hey! I can't help the accent," Harry defended as the laughter around him increased.

"Telling the world how much you like to kiss your wife!"

"I DO like to kiss my wife," Harry defended.

"Yeah, we've heard," Gary shook his head, still smiling. "Telling the world to go home and kiss their wives. Jesus."

"You know Gary maybe you SHOULD kiss your wife more often," Harry nodded to him as he took a swig from his bottle.

"Yeah Gary," Jenna clapped her hands together. "Maybe you should."

"You might be more relaxed," Harry shrugged and he was certain he could hear Patrick snort as he laughed at Gary. And then he heard it; sloshing water, light laughter and soft voices. They were back. Harry instantly perked up as his head snapped to the water and he didn't care who made fun of him.

"Speaking of your wife," Amy snickered.

"Well look at that," Hannah stood from her chair, grinning wide as Maddie and Kyle stepped back into view; both with wide smiles on their faces.

"So..." Gary called out to them as the rest of the group stretched and turned to see them. "Who won?" Harry rose to his feet as Maddie's eyes met his and she flashed him the cutest smile he'd seen on her face in a long time.

"Maddie," Kyle sighed, his shoulders slumping just slightly. "Maddie. By a long shot." A smattering of applause rang out as Harry grinned wide.

"Not by a long shot," Maddie nudged her cousin, walking next to him onto the deck. "But yes..." She sighed and let her face pull smug. "It was a victory for the house of Sussex." And Harry tossed his head back in laughter.

"That's my girl," he winked at her as she dropped her stuff to the side and made her way to him. "Congratulations." Harry wasn't the only one that was happy for her; even Kyle didn't seem all that upset.

"Thanks baby," she grinned wide and leaned in to kiss him. "Also...I think I owe Sampson some hazard pay."

"Hazard pay?" Harry pulled back, glancing to where Sampson was coming up the stairs, dripping wet.

"He fell in." Maddie shrugged, her face as innocent as can be. And this time, when the laughter roared, Jim was the loudest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Eventually the sun gave way to the moon and the dark, mountain sky was peppered with a smattering of shining bright stars. Though they had all remained out on the deck for a long time; grilling dinner, drinking plenty of beer, and indulging in s'mores as the laughter and stories continued to circle the group; eventually people began to file back towards the houses.

First it was Dena, Derek and the girls. Next it was Patrick and Gary and Amy.

"Already?" Maddie looked up to Amy.

"We're hiking at dawn," she yawned. "Are you two coming with us?" Harry looked to Maddie.

"I don't know," Maddie shrugged and raised her eyebrows to him. "You want to hike?"

"If you want to," he was open for whatever she was. "But I was thinking maybe you could teach me to fly fish."

"Oh yeah?" Maddie's lips pulled wide. Looking back up to Amy, she shook her head. "Guess we're staying here. We'll see you in the afternoon though."

"Perfect," Amy smiled at the two of them. "Good night."

"Good night," Maddie waved as they stepped away.

"I think now's my chance," Harry squeezed Maddie's fingers in his.

"For?" She was sleepy but she was loving the sound of the water, the feel of the fire, the stars—she was loving it too much to really move. Harry leaned in to kiss her cheek.

"I'm going to go take your mother for a walk..." Harry whispered in Maddie's ear, patting his chest pocket where she knew two cigars rested. "It's Friday, you know."

"I love you," she held tight to him for a moment.

"I love you too," he kissed her hand.

"Don't burn down the forest," she smiled up at him sleepily.

"I promise," he chuckled and rose to his feet. "You'll be okay?"

"Of course," she nodded and sighed further into her chair; she felt happy and content.

"Perfect." He offered another smile before he stepped away.

Maddie watched as he made his way around the circle. She tried not to be obvious as she watched her husband lean over and speak to her mother. She tried not to cry when she saw the look on her mother's face at his words, as she rose from her chair and took Harry's arm. And as the two people Maddie loved most in the world slipped inconspicuously from the group, she turned her eyes back to the fire and smiled. This really was the perfect way to end their tour.

And this was only Day One.