Chapter 20

The very next morning, Harry was jolted awake by the sound of his door slamming shut. Sitting bolt upright, he looked first to the bed beside him; searching for her. His eyes moved quickly from his empty bed to the door that had slammed. There she stood; dressed in a pair of his boxers and a t-shirt. Her one arm was back in her sling, her other arm up; covering her face.

"Maddie?"

"Oh my God..." She groaned. "I am so embarrassed."

"What?" He smiled. "Why would you be embarrassed? Where were you?"

"Ugh..." She sighed heavily, letting her hand fall from her face as she moved back to the bed. "I woke up early and I didn't want to wake you..."

"And?" He reached for her hand as she neared him.

"And I went downstairs to make coffee and maybe some breakfast..."

"Oh?" He chuckled, knowing what was coming.

"And there are people here."

"Yes," he nodded. "Well, there are a couple of people on staff here and you're bound to run into them."

"Dressed like this!" She waved her hand over her attire and Harry laughed loudly. "Stop laughing!"

"Don't worry," he pulled her hand to his lips for a kiss. "There can really only be two people here right now and both of them have been here for a very long time and they are incredibly discreet. Maddie..."

"In your boxers!" She nudged his shoulder. "I am wearing your boxers!"

"Yes you are..." His voice went low as his eyes scanned over her. Pulling her to him for a kiss, he felt her tension relax in his arms. "You know, one of those people you ran into, Bernard, he can actually bring us breakfast here, in my room."

"I don't know that I could face him now," she groaned, crawling back into his bed beside him.

"Ha!" Harry laughed, reaching for the phone beside his bed. Maddie snuggled back into his bed, back into her pillow as Harry called Bernard, politely requesting a tray with coffee and a light breakfast to be delivered to his room and Ella's room as well. "Don't worry," he assured her after disconnecting the phone call. You are certainly not the first woman in underwear they have encountered."

"Oh really?" Her eyebrows arched.

"Not here!" He shook his head quickly. "They have been employed by my family for a long time, is all I meant."

"Oh I'm sure that's..." A knock at the door called for both of their attentions. "That was fast."

"It was probably ready before you went running around half naked," he winked at her as he rose from his bed; pulling sweatpants on as he went.

"Hey!" She threw a pillow towards him. Narrowly dodging it, he laughed and pulled open the door.

"Bernard, won't you come in," Harry stepped aside as the older gentleman brought a wheeled tray into the room; complete with two place settings, coffee and a variety of breakfast items. Maddie quickly jumped to her feet, pulling on a robe Harry had laid in a chair next to her side of the bed. "Bernard, this is Doctor Madeline Forrester. She is one of the guests I told you we were expecting. Maddie, this is Bernard. He's in charge of the Household."

"It's great to meet you Bernard," Maddie, swallowing her pride, extended her hand to shake his.

"A pleasure, Ma'am," he smiled; something in his eyes telling her she need not be worried about their previous encounter.

"When Thomas arrives, will you be sure to let him know that our guests are here?" Harry asked.

"Of course, Sir."