prologue

"Where is Zyva?"

"She is in her room."

"Call her." Abbas said and His wife nodded.

Gulfisha kept the glass of water on the table and walked out of the room. After few seconds she reached her destination. She knocked the door before opening it.

"Zyva your dad is calling you."

Zyva lifted her head up from the ground. Few seconds later she lifted her index finger and kept it down after few seconds. Then after few more seconds she turned her head to her right and then to her left saying her salam. She turned around to face her mother with a big smile on her face.

"I'm coming Ammi."

"Come fast."

Zyva nodded and her mother smiled before leaving the room. Zyva folded her Prayer mat and kept it on the bed before heading downstairs to meet her father.

"Assalamu alayekum Abba." Zyva said entering the room. She walked towards him and took his hand in her hand once she was sitting down near his leg and kissed it before placing it on her eyes one by one.

"Walekum assalam Zyva. Sit on the couch.I have something important to tell you."

Zyva sat on the couch across from him. She smiled before asking, "What happened Abba?"

"Let your mother come first."

She nodded and he smiled. After few minutes her mother came and sat next to her father.

"So Zyva few days back you told us, you are interested in studying further. And more interested in studying in America. So I have thought about it. Here is your chance Zyva. Here is the admission form." He kept the form on the table between them.

Staring with her eyes wide open is all that Zyva did. She never expected her father to agree. She said it casually and had no idea he will take it seriously. She belongs to a very conservative family. She is the first girl to pass tenth grade let along graduate from college. Her relatives always protested but her father never listened to them. Sending her abroad for studies is something no one including Zyva expected.

Tears started falling Down her cheeks. She stood up from the couch and walked towards her father. She took his hand again in her hands and placed her forehead on it this time. She started crying hysterically.

"JazakAllahu khairan Abba. JazakAllah. Thank you. Thank you so much."

Abbas smiled and kissed her head. He lifted her head up and wiped her tears.

"Don't cry my love. But Zyva you know very well I'm going against my family. For me you, your dreams and your happiness is more important. You know how much I will suffer because of this decision. In return all I want is loyalty. I'm trusting you my love. Don't break my trust. I'm a proud father and I walk with my head high up. Don't do anything there, that will bring this head down."

"Abba I promise, I will never do anything that will affect your reputation. I promise ,I will stay away from boys. I promise I will marry someone of your choice. I promise you won't regret your decision. I promise no one from America will ever come in my life. No one will come to your door abba. I promise."