Chapter 1

It's been a year, and a long one at that. I ate very little, when I can even get food. Some people were kind and helped by getting me small meals when they saw me sleeping on a bench or in an alley, and some people gave little amounts of money, so I can wash my clothes or buy myself a small meal.

It was raining again, but that's what you get for living in Oregon. I loved the weather, the rain and sun with snow every couple of years, but I felt sad knowing this was the state I grew up in and the state I was disowned by my family. I wanted to leave, maybe move to some place similar. Michigan, it had the same atmosphere as Oregon and no bad memories.

I decided to save up money to move there; I had something around $100. I would collect as much money as I needed to buy a bus ticket there, so I could start a new life. I would get a job and have a future husband and kids. The thought made me smile. Sadly, it would be hard to make money as a homeless, dress-wearing, 16-year-old boy.

Watching as the sun set on this rainy day, I placed the small backpack with my little belongings down and laid my head on it, drifting off into a light sleep.

~~~

I always woke up early from the sounds of cars driving and honking on the busy roads. Groaning, I sat up, stretching my limbs  and hearing a satisfying crack from my back.

Making sure I had my few possessions, I began walking down town. After about an hour I found a Church meal-on-wheels. My stomach growled in hunger as I approached it.

"Um, excuse me, but can I please have something?" I asked the preacher operating everything.

"Please, young lady, help yourself. Take what you need, you look unhealthily skinny." He smiles.

"Thank you so much." I whispered, ignoring the fact that he called me a girl.

He smiled and pulled up a chair next to him for me to sit.

"So I have always wondered, what is the reason behind giving food to the poor and homeless when most of us have sinned for us to be here?" I asked, trying to eat slowly instead of shoving my face into the food.

"Well, the scripture tells me I am still responsible to help them. The Good Samaritan was not responsible for the plight of the man lying beside the road. After all, he had not robbed and brutalized him. Nonetheless, he was responsible to love his neighbor as himself." The preacher said. "And in the end of life, everyone learns their lesson."

"Well, I must end this conversation now and carry on with monitoring the food. Have a lovely day." He said, standing up.

Processing what he said, I finished my food and disposed of the paper plate and napkin before began walking. I felt better with a full stomach, but I knew it wouldn't last forever.

Finally I reached a public library. I was going to look up bus tickets from Oregon to Michigan and their prices.

''$200." I whispered to myself as I closed the tab and turned off the computer.

"Can help you with anything?" A kind librarian asked, spotting me.

"No thanks, I was just looking up something. I got what I needed." I smiled, finding my way to the exit.

~~~

The rest of the day was a blur. I made and found a total of $3, and I just needed $97 more to buy a ticket.

I didn't want to be a beggar, but I knew it would be the fastest way to make money.

I perched my self on the side of a building and put on my dirtiest outfit. I laid my back against the wall and tucked my small bag behind me, using it as a pillow and hiding it. I took out a small foam cut I took from a water stand and placed it in front of me.

"Please help ma'am," I whispered, targeting an old passing by lady. "I need money to afford food, is there anything you can do?" I let a fake tear fall down my cheek.

She looked down in remorse and placed a ten dollar bill in my cup, and real tears began fall. I sprung up and hugged her, catching her by surprise.

"Th-thank you, you don't know how much this means," I cried.

"Oh sweetie, yes I do. Once I was in your place and was able to work my way up, and I believe you can to." She said, patting my back and walking off.

~~~

Over the course of two months, I made $200. Smiling to myself, I went to the library to order and print off a ticket. It was time for me to leave all of the memories here and start a new, and maybe even start a family.

Looking at my ticket, I saw that the bus leaves in two days from a stop not too far from here. I began my walk there, so I would't be late.