Chapter Twenty-Six

Annalise stands by the door to his room, her heart thundering in her chest. Everyone had left a couple of hours ago, without a plan. No one had any idea of what to do next, and honestly? Neither did she.

            The scent of him has long since gone stale, but she doesn't mind as she picks up his blanket and wraps it around herself. She feels the tears build up behind her eyes as she sits down next to the bed. Her chest burns, and she feels about ready to break down completely. Every time she thinks of him it's like she's getting electrical shocks to the heart.

            Tears drip down her face then as she pulls the blanket tighter around her. Her eyes glance towards the calendar in the corner of his room. It's been almost a week and a half.

            She lowers her head. She feels like somehow she failed. It's not like they've been looking for him or his brother. They should be doing something. The twins are a part of their group. Her exhale is quick, and she feels about ready to start balling like a baby. Maybe someone will find them safe and sound. Maybe they went back to their coven. Maybe Zane is being tortured somewhere and he's regretting telling her the words he did.

            No. Zane is a player. He would never regret the words. Annalise is certain of this. She has to move on.

            And yet...she can't.

            She slowly pries herself away from the blanket, folding it neatly and putting it back on the end of his bed. What's even worse is that her brothers get to campus tomorrow and she's not ready for them to know about anything. At all. They don't need to know.

            Her life this year has been complete hell. She doesn't know if it's because she made friends with a bunch of supernatural girls that get into nothing but trouble or if this year is just a bad year, but it's been complete bull.

            Wind ruffles through the open window, fresh air warming her nostrils. She steps towards it, trying to imagine a world where the supernatural doesn't exist.

            First of all, Zane and her would be human. They would have no idea of the dangers in the dark. They'd be roommates still, of course, and start off hating each other. But as the days went on a heat would grow. They'd tease each other, Zane would change his player ways, and eventually they would kiss. They would go on dates. Zane would publically claim her as his. It would be perfect.

            Annalise opens her eyes to the harsh truth. Zane is a bastard.

            She breathes deeply before exiting his room. It's not like she should stay in there and cry about a boy. She could fall for some other guy.

            Yeah right. This didn't feel like falling though. This felt like she'd known him forever. Like she was meant to be with him. With her past boyfriends, she'd never felt this pull in her heart. It was like she was tethered to him. It scares her and excites her at the same time.

            Pulling the popcorn down from the top shelf, she pops it while trying to find a movie to watch. She settles on Beastly, a smile on her lips as the warm aroma of popcorn fills the air.

            About halfway through she falls asleep, unaware that she's done so until someone knocks on her front door. She sits up quickly, knocking the popcorn bowl to the floor in the process. Electric sizzles wander up and down her body as she stands, groaning along the way.

            Her legs feel like Jell-O as she moves, but she ignores it as she gropes for the door.

            A gasp escapes her lips.