Chapter Thirty

Sarafine frowns. "Okay, so let me get this straight."

            Her eyes dart to the girl sitting on the bed, narrowing slightly. "You believe that the girl in the picture is...Aquila. And you believe that Aquila has gone missing. Do you know how insane that sounds?"

            "I know..." Zelda trails off, a frown on her face. "It's insane, isn't it?"

            Sarafine sits down next to Zelda on the bed. "Are you feeling alright?"

            "Overly exhausted is all." Zelda rubs her forehead, expelling a small breath. Sarafine watches, blinking a couple of times.

            "What's on your mind?"

            Zelda's different colored eyes turn on Sarafine. "Everything. What isn't on my mind?"

            "Okay, start with something simple." Sarafine sits cross-legged on the bed, pulling Zelda's hands into hers. "When I say something, you say the first thing that comes to your mind. God it?"

            Zelda nods. "Go ahead."

            "What do you like better, chocolate or vanilla?"

            "Chocolate."

            "Pop or rock?"

            "Rock."

            "Have you ever been skydiving?"

            "No."

            "What is on your mind?"

            "Demetri and Evangeline." Zelda's eyes widen as Sarafine releases her hands. "Holy crap."

            "What about them?" Sarafine tips her head to the side.

            Zelda takes a deep breath. "Okay, well, Evangeline has been really off since she came back to life. Like, she never goes out anymore and is constantly eating." Zelda makes a face, lowering her eyes.

            "Is she constantly killing or...?" Sarafine asks, unsure of where Zelda is going with the whole eating thing.

            "No. Like...she's always eating. Not feeding, eating. We had a whole big tub of ice cream in the freezer, you want to know what happened to it? Evangeline ate it all. The entire thing. In one sitting." Zelda runs a hand through her hair. "She's never binge ate like this as long as I've known her."

            Sarafine tips her head to the side. "Strange...what about Demetri?"

            Zelda chews on her bottom lip, and Sarafine finds the quirk strange. "Demetri told me something that should have had me running for the hills but instead I decided to say yes when he asked for a second chance."

            Sarafine tips her head to the side. "What did he tell you?"

            Zelda's eyes widen. "Oh...right. That."

            "You can trust me, you know. I'm not going to go blurting it out at the top of my lungs while running down the main strip of campus." Sarafine is happy when Zelda breaks out a smile, rolling her eyes in the process. "See? Come on. Tell me his secrets. I want to know." Sarafine feels her own lips move up.

            "Okay, fine. I've told too many people already but he told me...he told me that he's a hunter."

            "Oh girl." Sarafine sits back slowly. "You're in deep hell there."