Chapter Twenty-Eight

Pulling the brush through her tangled hair, she barely realizes that someone is standing outside of her door. She's surprised when he appears in her mirror, and she immediately narrows her eyes at him. "I'm busy."

            Zane smirks at her through the mirror, brushing Annalise's hair away from the side of her neck. His fingers graze her skin, and she tries her hardest to not let him see how it is affecting her. Her lips part as he leans down as kisses the tender part of her neck. Annalise knees the bottom of her vanity and a curse flies from her lips. Zane chuckles against her neck. "Are you busy now?" He whispers.

            "Depends." Annalise glances at him through her mirror. "What do you want?"

            He moves away from her, and she feels the loss of his body heat in her soul. Annalise waves the feeling away as she stands, eyeing the garment bag he has in his hands.

            "Zane..." Annalise trails off.

            "I'm taking you to the Halloween Party in two days." His eyes twinkle with mischief, and Annalise feels her stomach plummet.

            "What is in the bag?" Her voice is tight, restrained.

            "Just...our costumes." He grins wildly.

            "Oh god. I'd better not be wearing anything too slutty." Annalise folds her arms over her chest, eyes narrowed.

            "Can I have a definition of too slutty?" Zane takes a step forward. His hand reaches out to connect with her waist as he throws the garment bag onto one of the beds. "What is too slutty for you, my little Fae?"

            Annalise feels her body warm up as his body heat rolls onto her. Her gaze melts in his, and she tries to calm her breathing. "Something that is way too revealing."

            "Like..." Zane trails off, his fingers coming up to unbutton the top button of her blouse. Annalise's heart flutters like a hummingbird's wings, her brain going hazy from the good vibrations he is sending her way.

            Annalise loops her fingers into his belt loops, hating that he is so much taller than her. Zane chuckles lightly, his gaze hard on her face.

            "Annalise." He steps back, and she loses her footing. Catching herself, she glares at him. "I'm trying to propose us going on our first date." Zane tips his head to the side, a cheeky grin on his face.

            Annalise's lips part. "Oh."

            "I mean, if you'd rather do this instead..." Zane trails off and Annalise's cheeks flame in embarrassment.

            "Show me the costumes." Annalise finally whispers.

            A triumphant look crosses Zane's face as he opens the garment bag. He throws something at her. She slowly unfolds the costume, a frown on her face. "Are you kidding?" She looks back at Zane, who has a smirk on his face.

            "Annalise, you'll look amazing. Do it for me?" Zane tips his head to the side, trying to act like a puppy dog.

            Annalise tries to contain her laughter. "You look adorable, but those eyes do not work on me. Got to be more clever than that." Annalise picks up the dress, examining it again. Annalise could most likely pull this off, but it's not like she wants to. She'd much rather be comfortable in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt than a dress.

            But hey, she was going on a date with the one guy who once told her they shouldn't be together. Life was getting strange. Annalise watches Zane leave, still eyeing the fabric in front of her warily.